Around the League: Playoffs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Around the League: Playoffs

Post by carey »

Jackie Mac does a Q & A with Dwight Howard: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15596 ... an-returns

Interesting stuff.
ESPN: What specifically are you referring to?

Howard: "I felt like my role was being reduced. I went to [Rockets general manager] Daryl [Morey] and said, 'I want to be more involved.' Daryl said, 'No, we don't want you to be.' My response was, 'Why not? Why am I here?' It was shocking to me that it came from him instead of our coach. So I said to him, 'No disrespect to what you do, but you've never played the game. I've been in this game a long time. I know what it takes to be effective.'''

Morey declined comment.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

ESPN: I heard you are working with Michael Clark, the Suns training staff guru who helped out Shaquille O'Neal. How is that going?

Howard: "I'm more than excited to be working with him. I told him, 'Mike, I want y'all to kill me. Whatever it takes.' All the things that have happened in the past have set me up for this moment. It's either going to make me or break me. Actually, I think it's already broken me because I have to make myself all over again. It's a new start.''
Also interesting.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Step 1 for Dwight is recognizing that he's a devastating pick and roll finisher and a shit post up player and stop chafing at getting the ball in the P-n-R and demanding it in the post.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Shabazz wrote:Step 1 for Dwight is recognizing that he's a devastating pick and roll finisher and a shit post up player and stop chafing at getting the ball in the P-n-R and demanding it in the post.
Just read an article where Dwight accused Morey of not using him properly last season. I really think that was his biggest issue in Los Angeles as well. I really think MDA wanted to use him but he was just coming off back surgery and it was Kobe's and Gasol's team. They were the stars and really appeared to be unwilling to share the spotlight with either Nash or Dwight. If MDA does get the Houston job it will be interesting to see how Dwight responds. The owner has basically taken over the hiring of the coach and I wonder if that is in response to Morey's usage of Dwight.

While I am not a fan of Dwight his physical gifts are unbelievable. For whatever reason they have not been utilized since his time in Orlando. I would think MDA would wet his pants creating pick and roll plays for Harden to Dwight.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

Indy

Post by Indy »

If Harden and Dwight played PnR to start nearly every play, Houston would be in great shape. And I think they would both enjoy it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Some are saying maybe Jackson wasn't responsible for the Hornacek hiring and that he doesn't have as much power as thought. The triangle offense may be going away.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/knicks-mad ... 00237.html
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

There's definitely something up there, which there almost always is at the Garden. One of the reporters was connecting dots back to Isiah - that Hornacek's father was an assistant coach at his high school and Isiah was pushing Hornacek to Dolan and Mills or something. I'm as cynical and skeptical about Isiah as anyone but even that's a stretch.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think Shaq ruined Inside the NBA. They didn't need him; they already have Barkley to be the clown of the group. Shaq has an awkward competitiveness with Charles and it feels like they don't 100% like working together. Shaq would have been a good analyst on some other NBA show (ESPN's?) that needed a bit of levity, and then maybe as an eventual replacement for Chuck, not to sit alongside him.
I agree with this so very much.

EDC

Post by EDC »

pickle wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think Shaq ruined Inside the NBA. They didn't need him; they already have Barkley to be the clown of the group. Shaq has an awkward competitiveness with Charles and it feels like they don't 100% like working together. Shaq would have been a good analyst on some other NBA show (ESPN's?) that needed a bit of levity, and then maybe as an eventual replacement for Chuck, not to sit alongside him.
I agree as well. I think the best third guy they ever had on that show was McHale. He had good insight, was pretty funny, and never tried to steal the limelight. Almost every other person they have tried to add in just made me cringe. Shaq and Webber were two of the worst.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

EDC wrote:
pickle wrote:
I agree as well. I think the best third guy they ever had on that show was McHale. He had good insight, was pretty funny, and never tried to steal the limelight. Almost every other person they have tried to add in just made me cringe. Shaq and Webber were two of the worst.
A colleague and Suns fan at my work told me he ran into McHale at a North Scottsdale pizza joint. He was next to him in line, looked up and saw him, then said, "Wow, what are you doing here in town?" McHale just brushed him off annoyingly and said, "Just trying to get a piece of pizza."(rolling his eyes). He said that he could barely walk and was wearing Rocket shorts. We thought it was funny, he was a dick.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

EDC wrote:
pickle wrote:
I agree as well but it could get worse. I read somewhere that they are thinking about adding Kobe next season.

When they had just Charles & Kenny, with guests joining in on some nights, it gave everyone a better chance of talking while adding diversity.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

JustWinBaby wrote:
EDC wrote:
pickle wrote:
I agree as well but it could get worse. I read somewhere that they are thinking about adding Kobe next season.

When they had just Charles & Kenny, with guests joining in on some nights, it gave everyone a better chance of talking while adding diversity.
I would love for Kobe to kick Shaq off Inside the NBA...the irony would be just amazing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, but then we'd have to live with it. I'll take the lesser of two evils.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really don't want to see Kobe on-air. I think he'd be way too self-conscious and trying to act a certain way to cultivate the image he wants to have.

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:Yeah, but then we'd have to live with it. I'll take the lesser of two evils.
Haha. For sure. Plus 'Kobe'in a fool' doesn't have quite the same ring.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SDC

Post by SDC »

carey wrote:Jackie Mac does a Q & A with Dwight Howard: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15596 ... an-returns

Interesting stuff.
ESPN: What specifically are you referring to?

Howard: "I felt like my role was being reduced. I went to [Rockets general manager] Daryl [Morey] and said, 'I want to be more involved.' Daryl said, 'No, we don't want you to be.' My response was, 'Why not? Why am I here?' It was shocking to me that it came from him instead of our coach. So I said to him, 'No disrespect to what you do, but you've never played the game. I've been in this game a long time. I know what it takes to be effective.'''

Morey declined comment.
how will dhow be used in a dantoni system? wont play in the 4th.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Didn't we already see Howard with D'Antoni in LA?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:Yeah, but then we'd have to live with it. I'll take the lesser of two evils.
Haha. For sure. Plus 'Kobe'in a fool' doesn't have quite the same ring.
Kobe Rapin' a Fool?

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Kobe couldn't do it. You look at all those interviews he did on his goodbye tour and when he acts like he is being nice, it looks just like that. An uncomfortable act.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:Didn't we already see Howard with D'Antoni in LA?
If the Rockets sign Mike D as their new coach, it's a sign that Howard will not return there for certain. Howard hated playing for D'Antoni. Seems like Howard's current PR tour is an attempt to repair his free agency value so he can go get one more big contract. Glad the Suns have a glut of centers already so that we aren't linked to rumors about Howard.