Suns Trade For Beal!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: Suns Trade For Beal!

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:07 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:52 pm
Maybe it worked out this time, maybe it cost us with the KD trade and those negotiations. Maybe it'll cost us in the future if JJ is more informed with the cap situation and waiting things out while Isiah is saying, "Don't worry about all that Matt, just pull the trigger."

That's how he ran things in NY and where there's smoke there's fire. Especially with him.
Look I hate Isiah too as a gm. But you’re looking for confirmation of a worst case fear. CP3 has all the smoke, he just got dropped by KD and Book. Put the razor away man.
So long as Beal balls out, hits 40% of his 3s and scores 20ppg+ there will be a market for him. Same probably for KD. There are going to be a ton of open shots to be had. We have never had more talent on this roster than now. If Ishbia can win the next trade with Ayton and we sign a legit veteran or two, we’re looking at WCF matchup with Denver.
I'm not ruling it out entirely but I'm not assuming Isiah Thomas is advising on anything based on a claim by a guy we just traded. I trust gambo more than Paul in this situation
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So Isiah's been at all the games, in the suites, sitting next to Ishbia during games but they're not talking about the Suns?

Believe what you want I guess.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Isaiah or not, this was a fantastic trade. The decision to say F U to a league that was trying to penalize the Suns with new rules has me giddy. If you are screwed financially anyway, might as well make the most of it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t understand why so many people(non suns fans) think this was a bad trade by the suns

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:04 am
I don’t understand why so many people(non suns fans) think this was a bad trade by the suns
Casuals who don't understand the cap or its just fun to hate on the Suns now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They just bring up…no picks, no future, need depth, etc.

But this trade didn’t impact any of those things. They threw away the picks and future for KD. Ayton was always going to be the piece to get us depth. We threw away the MLE, that’s it.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:53 am
The decision to say F U to a league that was trying to penalize the Suns with new rules has me giddy.
Lol, what a persecution complex.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Because people don't believe the big 3 and a bunch of vet-min guys can/will win it all. People think the second apron penalties will cripple the Suns.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Isaiah Thomas is an absolute clown and I really can't stand the dude but if he's the one responsible for telling Ishbia to pull the trigger on a CP and Shamet for Beal trade I'm really not going to waste energy trying to tear him down for it. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:46 am
Split T wrote:
Because people don't believe the big 3 and a bunch of vet-min guys can/will win it all. People think the second apron penalties will cripple the Suns.
That’s not the roster. It’s either a big 4 + vet min guys, or big 3 + non-vet min guys from DA trade + vet min guys.

Plus…if the rumors are to be believed…signing (or sign-and-trading) our own FAs to higher salaries to trade later to teams looking to get off longer contracts or for players demanding out.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:40 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
That’s not the roster. It’s either a big 4 + vet min guys, or big 3 + non-vet min guys from DA trade + vet min guys.

Plus…if the rumors are to be believed…signing (or sign-and-trading) our own FAs to higher salaries to trade later to teams looking to get off longer contracts or for players demanding out.
This is right if we're talking about NBA media people.

They're paid to have an opinion, and right now there are too many uncertainties to not have doubts of it working out for the Suns. They can't just get on TV or a podcast and say, "Well, I don't know, ask me in a few months," which is basically what I said about waiting until training camp to judge the roster.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Suns are in a great position to use three stars in an offense to fold into other players to make them better. It’s the sort of platform to help a player become a real piece. Thinking of All the teams with great depth that developed their guys.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:00 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Suns are in a great position to use three stars in an offense to fold into other players to make them better. It’s the sort of platform to help a player become a real piece. Thinking of All the teams with great depth that developed their guys.
Wait what?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:14 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Wait what?
Suns have three great players. They just need to fill it out with better rotation guys with potential and develop them! Not just run through our stars to win games in regular season. This is a great thing. Goodwin, Okogie, Craig, and whoever we bring in for Ayton.
We see the value these other teams find in developing their bench… it’s time Suns did better. We lost in the playoffs because of our poor bench and injuries to stars. Looking at how other teams have succeeded- Max Strus, Caleb martin, Gabe Vincent, bruce brown, Derrick White, Robert Williams, Grant Williams, KCP.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:30 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Wait what?
Suns have three great players. They just need to fill it out with better rotation guys with potential and develop them! Not just run through our stars to win games in regular season. This is a great thing. Goodwin, Okogie, Craig, and whoever we bring in for Ayton.
We see the value these other teams find in developing their bench… it’s time Suns did better. We lost in the playoffs because of our poor bench and injuries to stars. Looking at how other teams have succeeded- Max Strus, Caleb martin, Gabe Vincent, bruce brown, Derrick White, Robert Williams, Grant Williams, KCP.
I think Strus and Vincent go with the point you're trying to make, but others were acquired by the exact means that aren't available to the Suns.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:35 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:30 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Wait what?
I think Strus and Vincent go with the point you're trying to make, but others were acquired by the exact means that aren't available to the Suns.
Suns have 120% of Ayton’s salary they can bring back, with any luck a draft pick, and recruit some vet minimums. That’s close enough. What am I missing? Yeah, like we’re not gonna be able to sign Bruce Brown or Harrison Barnes or Kuz. But whatever, we’re better with Beal.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cutting the scouting department to the bone and Jones's de-emphasis of the draft has come back to bite them in the ass - it would be nice if they could have located at least a couple of unheralded second-rounders or free agents to develop.

Of course coaching plays a large part in it too.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Do the Suns have any slots for signings at all other than minimum?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Not for signings(unless we trade Ayton into cap space) but we have a 5 million dollar trade exception.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Sign Kuzma for the trade exception and note we'll catch him up at some point?