2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:51 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:48 am
Wormwood wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:47 am
Payne's our primary back up PF.
I was with you Worm until this. ;)
I meant PG. Too many Cams.
I knew what you meant. Just giving you a hard time.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:06 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:03 am
I feel great about 6 guys in the postseason.(Paul, Book, Mikal, Jae, Ayton, Cam J) I’m comfortable with McGee or Biyombo in the right situation. I’m halfway comfortable with Payne, he’s been playing better lately, before the injury, but I want to see more. I feel ok about Shamet for maybe 4 minutes a half, but I’d prefer to replace his minutes and would not want to count on him for extended run.

To me, adding another player to the group of 6 we can feel great about is the ideal scenario(without losing someone in the top 6 of course). If we can’t do that, adding a player or two we feel comfortable with and can push the Payton/Nader/Wainright group to the deep bench and allow us to push the Shamet/Kaminsky group out of the regular rotation as well.

I’m still very much Team Gordon, but if we can add say Thad Young as a buyout and like Terrence Ross(or someone similar), I’d feel pretty good.

Paul/Payne/Payton
Booker/Ross/Shamet
Bridges/Johnson/Nader
Crowder/Young/Kaminsky
Ayton/McGee/Biyombo
I think Cam Payne needs another scorer to play with to free himself up. Mcgee is def solid in playoffs. Suns def need to add another player improve their chances here. Gordon or Ross I think should do it.
Why didn't they just hang onto E'Twaun Moore as their fifth guard?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:17 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Split T wrote:
I feel great about 6 guys in the postseason.(Paul, Book, Mikal, Jae, Ayton, Cam J) I’m comfortable with McGee or Biyombo in the right situation. I’m halfway comfortable with Payne, he’s been playing better lately, before the injury, but I want to see more. I feel ok about Shamet for maybe 4 minutes a half, but I’d prefer to replace his minutes and would not want to count on him for extended run.

To me, adding another player to the group of 6 we can feel great about is the ideal scenario(without losing someone in the top 6 of course). If we can’t do that, adding a player or two we feel comfortable with and can push the Payton/Nader/Wainright group to the deep bench and allow us to push the Shamet/Kaminsky group out of the regular rotation as well.

I’m still very much Team Gordon, but if we can add say Thad Young as a buyout and like Terrence Ross(or someone similar), I’d feel pretty good.

Paul/Payne/Payton
Booker/Ross/Shamet
Bridges/Johnson/Nader
Crowder/Young/Kaminsky
Ayton/McGee/Biyombo
I think Cam Payne needs another scorer to play with to free himself up. Mcgee is def solid in playoffs. Suns def need to add another player improve their chances here. Gordon or Ross I think should do it.
I think they expected a lot more out of Cam Payne and Shamet and figured a guy that has started 400 games in the NBA was good enough for a 5th guard spot who is also a friend of Paul's.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:37 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
Split T wrote:

Paul/Payne/Payton
Booker/Ross/Shamet
Bridges/Johnson/Nader
Crowder/Young/Kaminsky
Ayton/McGee/Biyombo
I think they expected a lot more out of Cam Payne and Shamet and figured a guy that has started 400 games in the NBA was good enough for a 5th guard spot who is also a friend of Paul's.
The same guy who shot 17% on 3's last season, and that the Suns had already kicked the tires on once.

And they were wrong.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No way. And it's currently at the appropriate 10%.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Reeks of desperation for attention.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

And that is the type of trade Sarver would have done without a better GM in place.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:03 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:37 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
Split T wrote:

Paul/Payne/Payton
Booker/Ross/Shamet
Bridges/Johnson/Nader
Crowder/Young/Kaminsky
Ayton/McGee/Biyombo
The same guy who shot 17% on 3's last season, and that the Suns had already kicked the tires on once.

And they were wrong.
I didn't say it worked out or they were right. They probably shouldn't have expected a career year from Payne to be the new baseline (and it kind of shows they didn't expect that based on his contract). And as far as Shamet goes, his per36 counting stats have all gone up or stayed about the same. But he is shooting the lowest 3P% of his career (but is still a respectable 35%).

But I don't think Moore would have made a difference in us being worried that ShamPayne are not living up to what we envisioned.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'll admit I was wrong in thinking Shamet would perform better than he has so far, but com'on, he's not a disaster on the court.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:18 pm
I'll admit I was wrong in thinking Shamet would perform better than he has so far, but com'on, he's not a disaster on the court.
I'm bummed that his shot isn't falling but he's been way better than Elf.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

carey wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
When Payne comes back then Elf can go back on the shelf.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Suns and Spurs had previous discussions centered around Jalen Smith, Dario Saric and second-round draft pick compensation for Young, league sources told HoopsHype.

As our HoopsHype salary cap expert, Yossi Gozlan, previously noted on our podcast, any team that trades for Smith can’t re-sign him to a salary next season more than the amount he was supposed to get on his rookie-scale deal. This scenario puts any team who trades for Smith at risk of losing him if another team offers him more than $4.7 million.

The Timberwolves and Spurs had exploratory talks on a trade involving Taurean Prince and a second-round pick for Young, league sources told HoopsHype.
I keep coming back to thinking that Stix would probably be a really good fit in SA. They've got up and coming guys, guards who can get him the ball and a need for an athletic, defensive big. Murray, Johnson, White, Vassell with Stix could be a nice core in their early/mid 20s. Wonder if Pop and Monty have talked on their own about him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

CJ would be such a good fit next to Zion and Ingram…they could still be a pretty scary 1st round opponent if they figure things out and get everyone healthy.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Never did I think I’d miss Jevon, but I also never expected that they would replace him with someone WORSE. this is awful. Shame on James Jones for being complacent in the off-season

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Interesting trade. N.O. making the move because they can't sure any type of free agent so I get it. They also probably realize they can't just be late lottery every year. Not sure what Portland wants with Josh Hart unless they plan on flipping him again right away.

Also, it's obvious they should have NEVER fired Stotts. You don't mess with winning.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Larry Nance and Tony Snell headed to Portland also. I like that trade for the Pels.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Full trade with Nance also going out. Hart would be a solid vet if we could snag him for a pick or thru buyout.