Western Conference Round 1, Game 2: Clippers (1-0) @ Suns (0-1), Tues 4/18/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Western Conference Round 1, Game 2: Clippers (1-0) @ Suns (0-1), Tues 4/18/23

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The heavy starter minutes is almost entirely related to the limited gametime this team has had together, and I know I'm repeating myself, but Cam Payne being injured is significantly underrated. He's the only bench player Monty trusts on both sides of the ball besides Shamet, and Shamet is terrible.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Western Conference Round 1, Game 2: Clippers (1-0) @ Suns (0-1), Tues 4/18/23

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:23 pm
And please someone guard Gordon from the 3-point line in the first quarter...
His first 3 came from an offensive rebound scramble. It's nearly impossible to not give up a good shot in that situation.

His second 3 was 3-feet behind the line and caught the Suns (Booker and Paul) flat footed because they were worried about Kawhi on the ball.

That said, he's willing to pull from anywhere, so there should be a better contest in his attempts out of the half court offense.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The most encouraging thing I saw was the Suns playing through KD to steady the 2nd quarter run. Booker and Ayton also made their shots, but KD picking his spots and making the right play off of the primary action was unstoppable for the Suns.

I really think the Clippers will drop their Center a lot less in the next game. They're still going to change their defense in nearly every half court possession so I'm sure it'll happen a bit, but I think there's a decent chance they dust off Bob Covington or Shithead Morris to focus on making the Suns score at the rim or out of the kick out rotation passes.

We've seen the Suns be a bit slow to adjust in the past because they're trying to find a balance between what's being given by the defense and their most comfortable spots. I can already predict the "Monty's lost" comments when it happens. Just be patient because the adjustment will come, and the Clippers defense is pretty damn good.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just look at these other good playoff teams like the Bucks, Celtics, Nuggets, and they aren't playing their best guys 45 minutes. And there's a reason for that. We aren't going to get far if it takes us that many minutes every game for Book and KD.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Those teams aren’t playing teams that should be in the playoffs. If we were playing Miami, Atlanta or Minny we could be sitting one of our four main guys a game and still sweep.

I still think this is a blessing in disguise. Teams that face adversity in the earlier rounds are usually the ones that win in the end.

Also, game 2 was a must win. I don’t think we play our guys that minutes tonight.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:27 am
I just look at these other good playoff teams like the Bucks, Celtics, Nuggets, and they aren't playing their best guys 45 minutes. And there's a reason for that. We aren't going to get far if it takes us that many minutes every game for Book and KD.
And we'll get even less far if we lose round 1. Do what it takes, man! Our team is still gelling. I don't have a problem with it and we do have one of the toughest first round matchups. Us and the Kings anyway.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m just worried about Book’s hammies. He doesn’t have a great history of keeping them healthy while playing heavy minutes at high intensity.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:26 am
I’m just worried about Book’s hammies. He doesn’t have a great history of keeping them healthy while playing heavy minutes at high intensity.
True. Hoping for the best! I'm sure he's continued to work on them in the weight room over the years. And not to mention Durant's skinny physique and glass ankles.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Yeah if they weren't injury prone the minutes wouldn't bother me so much. If Ayton could stay out of foul trouble, I wouldn't mind seeing him get 40 minutes (I feel like he's less prone to those wear-and-tear type of injuries, plus he's younger). But I don't know if Monty would be willing to do that, despite what the +/- numbers show (+13 Game 1, +15 Game 2). If Cam Payne can come back, then CP3's minutes can hopefully come down a little.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:14 pm
Yeah if they weren't injury prone the minutes wouldn't bother me so much. If Ayton could stay out of foul trouble, I wouldn't mind seeing him get 40 minutes (I feel like he's less prone to those wear-and-tear type of injuries, plus he's younger). But I don't know if Monty would be willing to do that, despite what the +/- numbers show (+13 Game 1, +15 Game 2). If Cam Payne can come back, then CP3's minutes can hopefully come down a little.
I agree with you about increasing Ayton's minutes. He just needs to stay out of foul trouble.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

But that's where Monty comes into play. (I'm being serious.)

He'd probably rather play a fresher Biz/Jock for the extra 7-8 minutes that Ayton would need to get to 40. I think it's the right choice as well. It's a terrible idea to willingly play a fatigued big man like that when so much of their role is based on physicality and effort around the rim.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:34 pm

He'd probably rather play a fresher Biz/Jock for the extra 7-8 minutes that Ayton would need to get to 40. I think it's the right choice as well. It's a terrible idea to willingly play a fatigued big man like that when so much of their role is based on physicality and effort around the rim.
I don't know. I haven't seen Ayton fall off from whatever level he's playing at that game. I think it would be a good idea to push his comfort level a little further. If he starts falling off, sure, take him out.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

If they needed him out there, sure. But he's the 3rd scoring option at best, and the two guys behind him are typically capable of holding down the fort for 3-4 minutes a half. Just seems unnecessary to risk fatigue late in the game when his presence inside is needed the most.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:34 pm

You act like we have no history to go off of.

I'm glad Monty didn't think like that in Game 4 vs. LAL (38 min), Game 4 vs. LAC (41 min), Game 6 vs. LAC (40 min), Game 1 vs. MIL (39 min), Game 2 vs. MIL (42 min), or Game 6 against NOP (40 min).
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:48 pm
If they needed him out there, sure. But he's the 3rd scoring option at best, and the two guys behind him are typically capable of holding down the fort for 3-4 minutes a half. Just seems unnecessary to risk fatigue late in the game when his presence inside is needed the most.
But that's what I said--4 minutes of backup center per half.
Last edited by JeremyG on Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Did you forget who was playing back up Center for the Suns in those games?

Again, this is not intended to be a slight on Ayton. It's about the guys behind him and the tactic of keeping him playing at his optimal level.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
But that's what I said--4 minutes of backup center per half.
I didn't mean 3-4 total minutes per half. My fault for not being clear on that.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Biyombo and Landale were -11 and -8, respectively, in game 1. If they're able to play at +0 like Biyombo in game 2, then sure it doesn't hurt to give Ayton a bit more rest.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Really, plus/minus..?

Whatever man. I don't want to talk in circles about 5-6 extra minutes for Deandre Ayton.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:57 pm
Really, plus/minus..?

Whatever man. I don't want to talk in circles about 5-6 extra minutes for Deandre Ayton.
5-6 extra minutes could make a big difference. Just sayin'.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Let’s be up 30 going into the 4th and keep everyone around 30 mins or less