Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

What do you think Deandre Ayton's immediate future is with the Suns?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:47 am

Suns keep him for the duration of the 2022-2023 season
31%
He's on the roster to start the season but is traded mid-season
8%
Suns trade him before the season starts
62%

Total votes: 26

The Bobster

Re: Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Post by The Bobster »

TOO wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:39 am
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:08 am

Suns are about to let their first and only #1 overall pick walk for nothing.
Picked the wrong guy, you gotta cut your losses if you don't believe in him. Let it go.
Bad take.

If you have an asset you don't just let it go for nothing when you have better options.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

TOO

Post by TOO »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:14 pm
TOO wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:39 am
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:08 am

Suns are about to let their first and only #1 overall pick walk for nothing.
Picked the wrong guy, you gotta cut your losses if you don't believe in him. Let it go.
Bad take.

If you have an asset you don't just let it go for nothing when you have better options.
You're reading it wrong but ok.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wonder if this "we don't want Ayton" talk from Brooklyn is just to drive the price up, so that they can later "reluctantly" take him and act like they're doing us a favor for doing so. They are rumored to want an All-Star caliber player plus youth and picks for KD. Well, who (outside of Booker) is more likely to be a future All-Star than Ayton?

The only thing that gives me pause is that it'd be hard to trade Ayton to Brooklyn due to the BYC issues. So I still think they are more likely to loop in a third team such as Utah. But then if Brooklyn isn't getting Ayton back, who do they get back that makes the trade worthwhile? Donovan Mitchell? Could be plausible, but then Danny Ainge is going to want a tax to help facilitate such a thing.

I just feel like this ends up with us sending out 5 future 1st rounders plus 4 pick swaps or some ungodly draft price to get this thing done. Plus Ayton and maybe Mikal. I'm already kind of clenched up hoping it isn't as bad as all that. But I also worry that our FO is going to feel pressure to seal this deal and get it done to bring KD here. If we don't get him, it will be viewed as a failure and a disappointment.

I really think the smart move here would be not to rush this, not to overpay for KD. Stay strong, James Jones!

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is hard to overpay for a top 5 player in the league.

Also the BYC issue is for any sign and trade involving Ayton, not just Brooklyn.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Replace Turner with Ayton and the Pacers are still a lottery team, so what exactly is their incentive to offer him a max salary?

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:53 pm
Replace Turner with Ayton and the Pacers are still a lottery team, so what exactly is their incentive to offer him a max salary?

As much as I love Benn, that team is yikes.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:05 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

As much as I love Benn, that team is yikes.
If there is a year to tank, this is it.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Turner is what he is, a middling starting C. DA on the other hand has unlimited potential and I can see him having something like 22ppg-12rpg while being in contention for an all-star spot in the East. Ayton and Haliburton would be such a fun duo to watch. Shame it wouldn`t be in Phoenix.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the Pacers shouldn't want Ayton. I'm saying it doesn't make sense for them to sign him to a max contract if he's not going to improve them enough to challenge for a playoff spot.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

sunset rubdown wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:15 pm
Turner is what he is, a middling starting C. DA on the other hand has unlimited potential and I can see him having something like 22ppg-12rpg while being in contention for an all-star spot in the East. Ayton and Haliburton would be such a fun duo to watch. Shame it wouldn`t be in Phoenix.
I disagree with both of these statements. Turner is better than middling and Ayton doesn't have unlimited potential.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:40 pm
sunset rubdown wrote:
I disagree with both of these statements. Turner is better than middling and Ayton doesn't have unlimited potential.
YEah, Turner is in the top third of starting centers (or pretty close) and Ayton does have limits--like dunking over someone.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:53 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
sunset rubdown wrote:
YEah, Turner is in the top third of starting centers (or pretty close) and Ayton does have limits--like dunking over someone.
Or even near someone. ;)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
sunset rubdown wrote:
Yes he does FF. To think otherwise of a very talented 23 year old big man is extremely shortsighted. The hate is getting old. A player doesn’t have to dunk over people to be an impact player. Would it be nice? Of course, but not absolutely necessary.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:22 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
sunset rubdown wrote:
Yes he does FF. To think otherwise of a very talented 23 year old big man is extremely shortsighted. The hate is getting old. A player doesn’t have to dunk over people to be an impact player. Would it be nice? Of course, but not absolutely necessary.
So you think Ayton has the potential to be the best player to ever play in the NBA? Like unquestioned GOAT? That is what "unlimited potential" means.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:25 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
sunset rubdown wrote:
So you think Ayton has the potential to be the best player to ever play in the NBA? Like unquestioned GOAT? That is what "unlimited potential" means.
Do I think it’s likely he will be the best? No. Is it possible? Anything is possible. Do I think he had the potential to be a dominant force in the league? Yes.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:25 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
sunset rubdown wrote:
Unlimited potential Matt Foley living in a van down by the river.
Ayton’s ceiling is poor man’s Duncan. His personality ain’t changing much. If his work ethic did, perhaps. But I’ll never forget he’s the reason why we didn’t make the Bubble year Playoffs.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
sunset rubdown wrote:
Indy made the dunk comment and I assume he's mostly joking. I honestly don't care if he dunks or not.

I don't want to talk about Ayton in circles anymore because that is getting old. The fact remains that everything with him is about potential, so no one really knows. All we can go by is what he's shown so far and it doesn't at all imply he has unlimited potential.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:37 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
sunset rubdown wrote:
Indy made the dunk comment and I assume he's mostly joking. I honestly don't care if he dunks or not.

I don't want to talk about Ayton in circles anymore because that is getting old. The fact remains that everything with him is about potential, so no one really knows. All we can go by is what he's shown so far and it doesn't at all imply he has unlimited potential.
And what he had shown is he IS willing to put in the work. He didn’t have a jumper when he came in the league. He does now and is money out to 15-17 feet. He plays quality defense. He has more nice moves around the bucket(he did not have that nice hook when he came in the league). And when his head is right he does create his own shots. He needs to work more on not juggling the ball in the paint and I’m sure he knows it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:51 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:37 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
sunset rubdown wrote:

And what he had shown is he IS willing to put in the work. He didn’t have a jumper when he came in the league. He does now and is money out to 15-17 feet. He plays quality defense. He has more nice moves around the bucket(he did not have that nice hook when he came in the league). And when his head is right he does create his own shots. He needs to work more on not juggling the ball in the paint and I’m sure he knows it.
I'm glad you hit on that because that's always been my point. He doesn't have it upstairs. Every deficit in his game can be traced back to his mental approach. That stuff doesn't change mid-career and surely not if he's on a max-contract because at that point, in his mind, he's already made it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d just send him to Indy for Turner and a future asset at this point. If Brooklyn has made it known they don’t want Ayton, get what you can for him and move on.