Markieff Morris Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Markieff Morris Watch

Post by SDC »

If McD had no intention of keeping Dragic or if Dragic was unhappy with Bledsoe and IT3 last year, make a move. Instead he waited, hoping it would sort itself out and it blew up. It's very hard to rebuild and reload and stay competitive and that's what McDs tried doing, but it just hasn't worked out. He's also tried playing the assets game, but that hasn't worked out either.
easier said than done. dragic was coming off a spectacular season where he was an all NBA player. add to the fact that he was the most popular player on the team at that time. but yeah, trade him for assets and tell fans IT is dragic's cheaper replacement.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Again, more fence riding. If he's not your guy, sell high and deal with the backlash but build the team you want. Don't extend your guy Bledsoe and then sign another PG to a 4 year deal with Dragic hanging around.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

ShelC wrote:Again, more fence riding. If he's not your guy, sell high and deal with the backlash but build the team you want. Don't extend your guy Bledsoe and then sign another PG to a 4 year deal with Dragic hanging around.
The suns made out like Bandits in the Dragic trade. I would say they did sell high. Whether Bledsoe's deal was bad or not, Dragic handled last years deadline very poorly, so lets not act like he didn't. Now did we then turn around and F everything up by selling off the lakers pick? yes.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

ShelC wrote:There's no getting value at this point. As soon as we traded his brother, he should have been next - Aldridge or no Aldridge. McD is trying to be pragmatic and rational and it's costing us the season, and probably a head coach now. Cut your losses and move on. This has been hanging over the organization since the summer and McD's just brushed it off hoping it would go away, that we'd be winning and it'd be fine. Marcus and Markieff are about themselves and we know this. The tweets, the trade demand, the rantings to the media...those weren't heat of the moment incidents.
I respect your opinon and see where you're coming from but couldn't disagree more. You don't know what kind of offers we had for Morris in the summer and like others have said you just don't toss away an asset because he's mad. If that was the case Boogie cousins would of been traded 9 times already.

Many people thought with a vet like Chandler Kieff would be held in check, and you're talking about a guy who was considered going into this year one of the best values in the league. Now should they handle discplining him differently? I think so, but if you're a GM you do whatever you can to try and improve your team for the future and I'm sure Mcdonaugh is/was holding out for a better deal with Markieff.

As for it turpedoing the season...Suns were going nowhere without a low post threat with/without Kieff. It's not like he's hijacking a perennial contender here.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You don't know what kind of offers we had for Morris in the summer and like others have said you just don't toss away an asset because he's mad. If that was the case Boogie cousins would of been traded 9 times already.
Just the same, you don't know what potential offers we turned down or put off. And this wasn't a case of a player just being mad. We know the history with these guys, we know they're a package deal, they have an assault charge hanging over them. The writing's been on the wall.

And let's also not put Kieff in the same category as DMC. One is a franchise player, the other's a borderline starter.
Suns were going nowhere without a low post threat with/without Kieff. It's not like he's hijacking a perennial contender here.
But again, it's about progress and that's being stunted because of this kind of distraction and disruption.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And we're not in a position now to tank and play the lotto game. We're not worse than Philly, the Lakers or the Nets. And we're pretty much in line with the Pels, Blazers, Wolves, Bucks, Kings, Nuggets and Jazz. So we're still in that 8-12 range we're all so familiar with.
I don't know about that Shel. Yes, we are likely not as bad as 76ers, Lakers or Nets, but we could easily be #4 there. Especially if we fire our coach and do the interim thing the rest of the year. Hell, we might even fall into that #3 spot...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

AmareIsGod wrote:I just think it's pointless cooking up what never will happen. Has anyone here ever created a trade machine trade that our FO has replicated? Ever?

Whatever the case, it's something for the sake of something I guess, and by that, you succeeded in posting something in this thread that contains a link for us to click on with a conjured up idea.
Quit channeling Nodack. :D

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

http://arizonasports.com/story/499621/m ... ff-morris/

The Polish Hammer weighed in on this because we needed his opinion on the Markieff situation.

Cap

Post by Cap »

"Just because he ain't playing great now."

Sure, Marcin. That's all it is.

TOO

Post by TOO »

As smart as a bag of hammers that guy.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I can envision the dialogue now.

Markieff: "Yo, they slandering me fam!"

Gortat: "Aight."

Markieff: "#FOE"
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:INF: Do you worry at all about the general lack of shooting from most of those guys? Are you picturing the Bucks template of getting long athletes who play great defense?
To be clear, I wouldn't expect to bring in all of those guys. Olynyk has good stretch ability, so he'd be key piece next to TJ Warren, Aaron Gordon, Victor Oladipo, etc. Cameron Payne is another I expect to develop into a bomber from long range. Coupled with Booker, that would be more than enough perimeter shooting, IMO.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:Who would you put with Dipo in the backcourt? Either one of our guards? Or just starting from scratch?
I'd prefer to get rid of Bledsoe and Knight. Are you talking about just this season? Honestly, for the rest of this season, I would be ok rolling with Ronnie Price, Bryce Cotton, and some throw-in from one of the trades that would be executed, if Cameron Payne wasn't acquired.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

More about the best options to pair Oladipo with. He's capable of getting those 4-5 apg, 4-5 rpg but put him with a non-shooter like Payton and you can't spread the floor. I think putting him with either of our guards would give us crazy athleticism but again, our perimeter shooting would be pretty shaky. If I had to choose one of our guards, I'd probably go with Knight because he's a little bit of a better shooter.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:More about the best options to pair Oladipo with. He's capable of getting those 4-5 apg, 4-5 rpg but put him with a non-shooter like Payton and you can't spread the floor. I think putting him with either of our guards would give us crazy athleticism but again, our perimeter shooting would be pretty shaky. If I had to choose one of our guards, I'd probably go with Knight because he's a little bit of a better shooter.
He might be a better spot up shooter but not any other way. And if he can't run a pick and roll and he is our PG and we don't have a low post game, not sure how much that helps.

SDC

Post by SDC »

ShelC wrote:Again, more fence riding. If he's not your guy, sell high and deal with the backlash but build the team you want. Don't extend your guy Bledsoe and then sign another PG to a 4 year deal with Dragic hanging around.
you forgot, the guy also drafted tyler ennis. that's your macdo.

so the lesson for sarver and co is this: dont ever deal with clients of rich paul

SDC

Post by SDC »

a better option was to

a) give bledsoe what he wanted in the first place

b) or, after signing IT and bleds, mcdo should have used his ainge connection to trade IT to boston ASAP and not experiment with the 3 pg lineup.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Rosterbation:

Suns in:
Chase Budinger
Anthony Morrow
Mitch McGary

OKC In:
PJ Tucker
Glenn Robinson
Jordan Hill

Indiana In:
Markieff Morris
Nick Collison
Sonny Weems

Who says no?

carey

Post by carey »

Collison used to be a key cog in what OKC does on offense. Is that not the case anymore? I guess with Kanter & Adams things have changed. I would do it. None of those guys are world beaters, but we are past the point of getting good return for Markieff. The best we can hope for now is someone that contributes positively in some way.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

pickle

Post by pickle »

I guess Mitch McGary is the only guy in that group that has some potential. Not sure what we could do with Budinger and Morrow, other than to use them to stunt our youngsters' growths... But then we also have Len and Chandler already, so in terms of personnel we are getting back, not terribly exciting. Does it help our salary picture?