Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

INFORMER

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by INFORMER »

I'm ok with Stackhouse. Would like to see Messina and Alex Jensen out of Utah considered.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

carey wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:Gambo reporting that the candidates the Suns are most interested in during the pre interview process are Nick Van Exel, Jerry Stackhouse, Jason Kidd and David Fizdale.
That list is donkey butt. I'm going to listen to the podcast from today's shows and see if that's the whole list or what.
That’s not the whole list, just the ones Gambo hunks are leading the charge right now BEFORE interviews are done.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

n4th4n wrote:I would be in on Stackhouse. Maybe. I dono.
INFORMER wrote:I'm ok with Stackhouse.
You guys know he’s another motivational type coach that doesn’t knock a thing about Xs and Os right? If you guys liked Earl Watson then yeah you would love Stackhouse but if not...

Stackhouse is the wrong coach from the Raptors to go after.

Nick Nurse should be the one we should be going after from Toronto. I seriously think he can be the next Brad Stevens type coach.

If we want a defense oriented coach then it’s Micah Shrewsberry who is the main one responsible for Boston’s amazing defense despite their depleted roster.

This isn’t hard, please don’t f*** this up Ryan.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Of course the Knicks will get the best candidate and we'll get one of the leftovers. I will NOT be happy with Van Exel or Kidd.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Knicks will pay the most, but that doesn't mean they'll get the best guy. The smart coach will compare rosters and cap flexibility. Look at Steve Kerr as an example.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

We need to get the 911 tape repeatedly sent to McD and Sarver and JJ.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:What I gathered while listening. Didn't hear Van Exel or Stackhouse's name brought up. I checked out all the Suns talk in hour 2, 3 and 4.
  • Hopes Triano gets a fair shot but doesn't think he's at the top of their list.
  • He lists Jay Wright & Fizdale as examples of someone they might be interested in.
  • Just throwing Kidd's name out there, has heard nothing.
  • If Triano is 4th on that list after those guys then you hire him.
  • Thinks there will be 6-8 coaching openings in the league this Summer.
  • Thinks there's a lot of stink on Triano from Watson working against him.
  • Coaching search will be more private than in the past.
  • Doesn't think it will be Kidd based on the things he's heard.
  • James Jones was very involved in the exit interviews.
Your next Suns GM.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

UglyTruth wrote:
You guys know he’s another motivational type coach that doesn’t knock a thing about Xs and Os right? If you guys liked Earl Watson then yeah you would love Stackhouse but if not...
That's what I think of Stack, too. He strikes me as a guy who talks the talk but can't walk the walk. That article someone posted a while back was just Stack talking about his own personal journey of growth and what a smart and tough guy he is. Good coaches talk basketball and the players. Walking egos talk about themselves.
Last edited by O_Gardino on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
That's what I think of Stack, too. He strikes me as a guy who talks the talk but can't walk the walk. That article someone posted a while back was just Stack talking about his own personal journey of growth and what a smart and tough guy he is. God coaches talk basketball and the players. Walking egos talk about themselves.
"You know, when I was taught by John Wooden..."

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
carey wrote:What I gathered while listening. Didn't hear Van Exel or Stackhouse's name brought up. I checked out all the Suns talk in hour 2, 3 and 4.
  • Hopes Triano gets a fair shot but doesn't think he's at the top of their list.
  • He lists Jay Wright & Fizdale as examples of someone they might be interested in.
Your next Suns GM.
Yep, or do you think he will be president of basketball ops with a GM reporting to him?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Your next Suns GM.
Yep, or do you think he will be president of basketball ops with a GM reporting to him?
That's a possibility I hadn't thought of.

It might depend on Sarver's other business interests. I think we don't see another president of basketball ops unless Bobby S needs to spend more time on his other obligations.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I like Fizdale but think he's overrated. He wouldn't be bad for this group. I'm really not as down on JKidd as others, but do think he can be a toxic personality who would clash with management and ownership.

I really respect what Stackhouse has done in the GLeague but worry that he's still not proven at the NBA level. I don't know where Van Exel came out of. Never heard his name mentioned.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

According to Wikipedia, NVE is a Grizzlies assistant.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

UglyTruth wrote:

Stackhouse is the wrong coach from the Raptors to go after.

Nick Nurse should be the one we should be going after from Toronto. I seriously think he can be the next Brad Stevens type coach.

If we want a defense oriented coach then it’s Micah Shrewsberry who is the main one responsible for Boston’s amazing defense despite their depleted roster.

This isn’t hard, please don’t f*** this up Ryan.
I am not saying you are wrong, but what are you basing this off of? Is it anything more than just perception?

EDC

Post by EDC »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Your next Suns GM.
I just don't understand how he even got the job in the first place. The guy has zero experience.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

EDC wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Your next Suns GM.
I just don't understand how he even got the job in the first place. The guy has zero experience.
It's NBA privilege and you don't have it I guess.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

EDC wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Your next Suns GM.
How much experience did Kidd have before he was hired as a HC?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have to admit that I'm super biased against former players becoming head coaches, unless they already have coaching experience somewhere legitimate and have done really exceptionally well. I just don't have any reason to think that these guys know how to coach an NBA team. They may understand basketball well, and they may have a good relationship with players, and they may be good at motivating people. But I just don't trust the Xes and Os with former players. Most of them hardly went to school, don't understand math or stats or analytics, don't really understand concepts about efficiency and what's best for the team.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I have to admit that I'm super biased against former players becoming head coaches, unless they already have coaching experience somewhere legitimate and have done really exceptionally well. I just don't have any reason to think that these guys know how to coach an NBA team. They may understand basketball well, and they may have a good relationship with players, and they may be good at motivating people. But I just don't trust the Xes and Os with former players. Most of them hardly went to school, don't understand math or stats or analytics, don't really understand concepts about efficiency and what's best for the team.
I agree. Prove it first. G league doesn’t count, FFS.

Gambo says Majerle not interested in leaving GCU until he’s led them to a tournament birth

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It is definitely not the time for an inexperienced coach. I am very concerned that most of the candidates I've heard mentioned don't have much experience.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."