Whom to pick at 6

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Assuming we keep the pick, who do you want at 6?

Jarrett Culver
24%
Darius Garland
16%
Deandre Hunter
3%
Coby White
5%
Cam Reddish
3%
Brandon Clarke
22%
Nassir Little
No votes
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
No votes
PJ Washington
No votes
Goga Bitadze
3%
The Suns are idiots if they keep this pick
24%

Total votes: 37

wpmiller42

Re: Who to pick at 6

Post by wpmiller42 »

Aside from Hunter, all the other guys I really like (Clarke, NAW, Washington) all seem to be projected later in the first round. If I were management, I'd call up everyone with multiple first rounders this year and see if they would be interested in trading up. ATL definitely seems to be interested in making a move up, but I don't think we're quite high enough for their 8 and 10. Maybe if their guy, whoever that may be, falls to 6 on draft night we could get lucky.

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:30 am
Aside from Hunter, all the other guys I really like (Clarke, NAW, Washington) all seem to be projected later in the first round. If I were management, I'd call up everyone with multiple first rounders this year and see if they would be interested in trading up. ATL definitely seems to be interested in making a move up, but I don't think we're quite high enough for their 8 and 10. Maybe if their guy, whoever that may be, falls to 6 on draft night we could get lucky.
That is what I am hoping for, too. I hope we have done our homework and have all of the scenarios role played so we know what we would do in each one. You can't pass up opportunities to improve when you are such a dumpster fire.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 am
The #6 pick in this draft will not get you a good veteran PG. And all of the players/contracts we want to dump are seen as guys on a 19 win team. Who adds them to their team to improve it? It isn't like there were a handful of 15-win teams that had a good PG but just need an awful Josh Jackson or an injured TJ Warren to make them a bubble play off team.
Conley certainly could have been had

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sure but that would have been a big overpay for a 32 year old injury prone pg

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If Culver is available at 6, I could see Atl trading for it. The Suns may ask for 10 & 17, and to take back a contract of TJ and/or Josh.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:43 am
Sure but that would have been a big overpay for a 32 year old injury prone pg
Disagree

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 am
I like White better than I liked Knight or Bledsoe coming out for the draft.
I’m just disappointed that Glen Rice is no longer in the league. I would have liked to see White on Rice.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:23 am
Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:04 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:53 am
White can shoot it so the Payton comps aren't valid there. I still have concerns about his release point but he's got a jumper and his stepback can be pretty lethal. I like his size, his quickness, he can pass it and be a primary ballhandler. Not an 8apg guy but 4-5 should be easy for him. I just see a newer version of Jamal Crawford.
Yeah, and this help us how? Still no one to run a half court offense or make passes to Ayton. Just another mediocre three point shooter who's as likely to kill the popcorn guy in the third row with his passing as find the open man.

I feel strongly we will end up hating White, even if he's an ok player, because he doesn't make the team better, and trading him away for very little because he doesn't fit.

Blerch.
His PnR game looks solid and at the very least, he can break down a defense better than Book in the halfcourt. So he's not totally redundant in that sense. His ability to change speeds with an explosive first step, keep a defense on its heels is what I really like.
For how great Book is at getting his shot where he wants it, he is not quick or explosive. Having someone that can do that will be helpful.
I’m warming up to White.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
The #6 pick in this draft will not get you a good veteran PG. And all of the players/contracts we want to dump are seen as guys on a 19 win team. Who adds them to their team to improve it? It isn't like there were a handful of 15-win teams that had a good PG but just need an awful Josh Jackson or an injured TJ Warren to make them a bubble play off team.
Man, I am so disappointed we didn’t take Fox rather than Jackson.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:50 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 am
I like White better than I liked Knight or Bledsoe coming out for the draft.
I’m just disappointed that Glen Rice is no longer in the league. I would have liked to see White on Rice.
:lol:
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:53 pm
Indy wrote:
Man, I am so disappointed we didn’t take Fox rather than Jackson.
That is likely the worst move of McD's career, in retrospect. But tons of us were clamoring for him at the time.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:52 pm
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Wormwood wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:53 am
White can shoot it so the Payton comps aren't valid there. I still have concerns about his release point but he's got a jumper and his stepback can be pretty lethal. I like his size, his quickness, he can pass it and be a primary ballhandler. Not an 8apg guy but 4-5 should be easy for him. I just see a newer version of Jamal Crawford.
Yeah, and this help us how? Still no one to run a half court offense or make passes to Ayton. Just another mediocre three point shooter who's as likely to kill the popcorn guy in the third row with his passing as find the open man.

I feel strongly we will end up hating White, even if he's an ok player, because he doesn't make the team better, and trading him away for very little because he doesn't fit.

Blerch.
His PnR game looks solid and at the very least, he can break down a defense better than Book in the halfcourt. So he's not totally redundant in that sense. His ability to change speeds with an explosive first step, keep a defense on its heels is what I really like.
For how great Book is at getting his shot where he wants it, he is not quick or explosive. Having someone that can do that will be helpful.
I’m warming up to White.
The annual cognitive dissonance of a Phoenix Suns fan at draft time.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

Blerch.
I’m warming up to White.
:lol:

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

Blerch.
I’m warming up to White.
It is short-sighted to limit it to an annual occurrence or draft time. We are that way all year long baby!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't even want to guess how many Team-Doncicers were posting "you know, I'm starting to warm to Ayton" in last year's draft thread once it was clear who we were taking.

I know because I was one of them.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I am warming up to nobody and am not getting my annual draft excitement this year. I’m just not. Lol.

I would trade #6 to somebody for a future first round pick (maybe even to Golden State for their 2020 pick unprotected). Would give us more cap space.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I don't know how u guys are keeping up with all these updates and rumours without going crazy
I commend u all. I just choose to wait until the moves are made and then get to know the players. Can't do that getting to attached stuff u guys do, that's a lil too much drama for me :oops:
I watched White on Garland last night tho
On Jimmy Fallon doing ridiculous stuff :lol:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I haven’t spent any time on who to pick. Seems like it would be wasted time. It is a little disappointing this year. Last year we finished last and got the #1 pick. This year we finish last and get the #6 pick. Seems like a worst case scenario. The poll here is split between three guys and 26% think the Suns are idiots if they draft anybody. That tells me roughly 75% of Suns fans are guaranteed to hate the results of the draft no matter what happens. Sounds like a can’t win scenario to me at least for the next several months at least.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:11 pm
I haven’t spent any time on who to pick. Seems like it would be wasted time. It is a little disappointing this year. Last year we finished last and got the #1 pick. This year we finish last and get the #6 pick. Seems like a worst case scenario. The poll here is split between three guys and 26% think the Suns are idiots if they draft anybody. That tells me roughly 75% of Suns fans are guaranteed to hate the results of the draft no matter what happens. Sounds like a can’t win scenario to me at least for the next several months at least.
I think the poll is what you want them to do most, not what you will only be happy about and hate any other result.

And spending time scouting players to see who you like best isn't any more time wasted than thinking about who might sit on the iron throne before the final episode.