Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

What do you think Deandre Ayton's immediate future is with the Suns?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:47 am

Suns keep him for the duration of the 2022-2023 season
31%
He's on the roster to start the season but is traded mid-season
8%
Suns trade him before the season starts
62%

Total votes: 26

JeremyG

Re: Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:53 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:40 pm
sunset rubdown wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:15 pm
Turner is what he is, a middling starting C. DA on the other hand has unlimited potential and I can see him having something like 22ppg-12rpg while being in contention for an all-star spot in the East. Ayton and Haliburton would be such a fun duo to watch. Shame it wouldn`t be in Phoenix.
I disagree with both of these statements. Turner is better than middling and Ayton doesn't have unlimited potential.
YEah, Turner is in the top third of starting centers (or pretty close) and Ayton does have limits--like dunking over someone.
When he does that he gets called for a technical.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:55 pm
I’d just send him to Indy for Turner and a future asset at this point. If Brooklyn has made it known they don’t want Ayton, get what you can for him and move on.
Not attacking you for posting the idea, but, that is an absolutely horrendous return for DeAndre Ayton.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:25 am
Split T wrote:
I’d just send him to Indy for Turner and a future asset at this point. If Brooklyn has made it known they don’t want Ayton, get what you can for him and move on.
Not attacking you for posting the idea, but, that is an absolutely horrendous return for DeAndre Ayton.
Indy is the one team that doesn’t have a ton of motivation to give us much. They don’t need our help to sign him. And Turner and a future 1st isn’t horrendous. Turner is still a good quality starting center.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:05 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Split T wrote:
Indy is the one team that doesn’t have a ton of motivation to give us much. They don’t need our help to sign him. And Turner and a future 1st isn’t horrendous. Turner is still a good quality starting center.
Gambo keeps insisting we don’t want Turner tho, which seems weird. If it’s Turner and a 1st and maybe a couple second round picks. I’d probably take it, especially since we can send those to the Nets in hopes of keeping Mikal.

CP-Book-Mikal-KD-Turner is a great starting lineup.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe we really want to prove we don’t need to spend any money at all on a C. I guess you could do Hield and a pick.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Guys, maybe there is a reason there aren't a lot of teams interested in Ayton at/near max money...

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:26 am
Guys, maybe there is a reason there aren't a lot of teams interested in Ayton at/near max money...
What could that be? 😆
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know how you don't match, even if it's a max offer. At the very least you can move him later.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:34 am
I don't know how you don't match, even if it's a max offer. At the very least you can move him later.
Agreed, unless there is some cap gymnastics you have to go through in order to make the KD trade. I can't think of what that might be, but that would be the only sane reason.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:34 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:26 am
What could that be? 😆
Part of it is the shitty teams in the league already used their cap space, and another reason is that only the true alphas/difference makers at the center position are getting maxes. Also, there are a ton of centers that are at the 20M or less level that can give you similar production as a #3 or #4.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I hope Toronto decides they want Ayton and give us OG for him, but that doesn’t seem likely at this point.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:48 am
I hope Toronto decides they want Ayton and give us OG for him, but that doesn’t seem likely at this point.
So if we can get OG and filler/picks for him AND you can then deal with Brooklyn for either Mikal/OG/picks/filler or Mikal/Cam/picks/filler, which one do you do?

Mikal is Mikal. DPOY runner up.

OG can do things with the ball nobody else outside of CP3/Book can do. But you are getting back Durant...

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Split T wrote:
Or they could just keep Ayton. You know, like James Jones said they want to do.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

If they can swing KD and still somehow keep Ayton, I believe that is the best case scenario. Ayton is still gonna be 3rd fiddle but at least he'll be 3rd fiddle on a legit championship contender.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:52 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:48 am
So if we can get OG and filler/picks for him AND you can then deal with Brooklyn for either Mikal/OG/picks/filler or Mikal/Cam/picks/filler, which one do you do?

Mikal is Mikal. DPOY runner up.

OG can do things with the ball nobody else outside of CP3/Book can do. But you are getting back Durant...
I’d definitely swing the KD trade still and if my choice is keeping Cam or OG, I keep OG. He’s the better player and defense at that point is gonna be more important.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:27 am
Split T wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Split T wrote:
Or they could just keep Ayton. You know, like James Jones said they want to do.
If you keep him, you can’t trade him for KD…my point was get some sort of asset to keep a KD trade alive.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:39 pm
Just to be clear, I'm not saying the Pacers shouldn't want Ayton. I'm saying it doesn't make sense for them to sign him to a max contract if he's not going to improve them enough to challenge for a playoff spot.
It is similar to OKC paying SGA. They aren't trying to win, but in both cases the players are young enough to keep around on a rebuilding team.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see exactly what assets we plan to give Brooklyn for KD at this point. They don't want Ayton (or so they are rumored to be saying). We don't want to give them Mikal. Doesn't that just about kill any deal? Why would they trade KD for, what, Cam Johnson and Jae Crowder? It seems like the only way to make things work would be to find a 3rd team with an asset Brooklyn wants. The Jazz scenario where they sent Mitchell to BKN and we send Ayton to Utah makes some sense to me. But does Utah want that? Does that make their team better? Does it set them up to tank? Isn't the top draft prospect a center, redundant with Ayton? Why would Utah want to help a conference rival (Phoenix) become a superteam?

I'm kind of getting the sense that this deal is dying on the vine. My guess is that this unblocks by KD becoming willing to go to other teams, like maybe Miami or Toronto. They have better assets to package into a trade that BKN might actually want to accept.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:51 pm
And what he had shown is he IS willing to put in the work. He didn’t have a jumper when he came in the league. He does now and is money out to 15-17 feet.
This is a little inaccurate. Ayton hit 3s at U of A. His jumper has improved, but he came into the league with some range. And I still wouldn't say it is money.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:25 am
I don't see exactly what assets we plan to give Brooklyn for KD at this point. They don't want Ayton (or so they are rumored to be saying). We don't want to give them Mikal. Doesn't that just about kill any deal? Why would they trade KD for, what, Cam Johnson and Jae Crowder? It seems like the only way to make things work would be to find a 3rd team with an asset Brooklyn wants. The Jazz scenario where they sent Mitchell to BKN and we send Ayton to Utah makes some sense to me. But does Utah want that? Does that make their team better? Does it set them up to tank? Isn't the top draft prospect a center, redundant with Ayton? Why would Utah want to help a conference rival (Phoenix) become a superteam?

I'm kind of getting the sense that this deal is dying on the vine. My guess is that this unblocks by KD becoming willing to go to other teams, like maybe Miami or Toronto. They have better assets to package into a trade that BKN might actually want to accept.
I wish Jones and company would just move on and focus on executing a solid sign and trade Ayton deal.