Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by The Bobster »

All I can say is I wish Markieff had used his mother as his drug mule. That's the only thing that would have made his incident yesterday any better.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Danimal wrote:Does anyone think there is a chance we might use Knight to try and trade for K. Faried from Denver if draft day doesn't result in many options at PF?
Salaries are reasonably similar. Faried isn't a complete player but it would at least give us some roster balance which we haven't had in two years. I just feel with McD on the clock somewhat this might be the kind of move he might make. I heard faried had been out of sorts last year in Denver. Couldn't play chandler and faried that much together and certainly couldn't play chandler, tucker, Faried almost at all but they would gobble up a lot of rebounds. Len's jumper would make them a better pairing. Could then hand over the offense to tj, booker and bled.
I would, of course. But I would trade him for a handful of magic beans at this point. That's why I am not a GM. Well, that and dozens of other reasons.

Faried still has 3 more years and 38M on his contract. That seems much more reasonable than 4 at 58M.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:All I can say is I wish Markieff had used his mother as his drug mule. That's the only thing that would have made his incident yesterday any better.
#FOE!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:All I can say is I wish Markieff had used his mother as his drug mule. That's the only thing that would have made his incident yesterday any better.
#FOE!
I thought Markieff was the mule for his mom...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

Danimal wrote:I'm not saying he's a great solution as it still results in a lack of low post play, but I can see it as McD saying he got a name player. To me he probably holds more value around the league than he actually contributes to wins. However still more of a positive than knight on this roster. Plus Denver are stacked with young bigs and there seems to be a number of articles about them being at a cross roads about what to do with him. If we could some how acquire gary harris at the same time and thrown in Goodwin plus other filler (tucker,goodwin)/later picks then potentially we achieve a bit more balance. Kinda wished we drafted gary harris in the first place.

You can definitely dig up draft day posts of me calling for Harris at 18 instead of Tyler Ennis. He fit a need at the time and he went 1 pick later.

As far as Faried, I don't know why Denver would want Knight with Mudiay clearly their PG of the future. He shot pretty awfully (36%/32%/67%) last year but he's still really young.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
As far as Faried, I don't know why Denver would want Knight with Mudiay clearly their PG of the future. He shot pretty awfully (36%/32%/67%) last year but he's still really young.
I would want Mudiay over Knight every day that ends in Y. Sure, he's really young, but his upside is so much higher and with the need for bigger more athletic pgs to compete with Westbrook, he might be the best hope for the future. We'll see how he develops though.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

You sell knight as a SG upgrade and hope they buy it

Split T

Post by Split T »

Would you guys trade #4 for Jahlil Okafor? Can he work with Len? I think Len would need to become very consistent with that 15-18 foot shot. Would maybe make Skal at 13 intriguing, if he develops, he's the perfect fit alongside Okafor.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'd trade #4 for Jah no question. Len would have no bearing on my decision.

carey

Post by carey »

I would get rid of Len if Okafor became a Sun. I would try for a package with Len & our pick(s) for Saric and Okafor but I'm very high on Saric. I think he can be part of a big 3 in the future. Very talented from all I've seen & read.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Danimal wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:I've never been a fan of Faried but it might make sense at this point. If you are a guard-centric team, you ca use an active PF. And you can go crazy and try him at C in a ultra-small lineup.
I'm not saying he's a great solution as it still results in a lack of low post play, but I can see it as McD saying he got a name player. To me he probably holds more value around the league than he actually contributes to wins. However still more of a positive than knight on this roster. Plus Denver are stacked with young bigs and there seems to be a number of articles about them being at a cross roads about what to do with him. If we could some how acquire gary harris at the same time and thrown in Goodwin plus other filler (tucker,goodwin)/later picks then potentially we achieve a bit more balance. Kinda wished we drafted gary harris in the first place.
We can forget about acquiring Harris. And if I am Denver I don't want to take Knight (I have Harris after all, and basketball is gunners galore). I'd rather have picks. That #13 and #28/2ndR for instance.

Unless they are done with each other I don't see any reason as to why Denver would want to move on from Faried. The contract looked ugly for a brief time but it is a legacy contract now and it's nice to have your Tazmania devil screwing around if properly tamed.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'd trade #4 for Jah no question. Len would have no bearing on my decision.
Absolutely.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I could also see Philly trading one of their bigs for #4 if Bender was still available. But maybe not anymore with Hinkie gone.

Cap

Post by Cap »

If Bender's there at #4, I say take him. We're in a position to roll the dice, and also to wait a couple of years for him to mature. And we have a kind of hole in the rotation that means he should get solid playing time for development even if he hasn't yet earned it. I think this would be a good situation for him as a rookie: the opportunity to play, not a lot of pressure to win now, and Earl Watson.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think this would be a good situation for him as a rookie: the opportunity to play, not a lot of pressure to win now, and Earl Watson.
At least we know he would get lots of love.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I think this would be a good situation for him as a rookie: the opportunity to play, not a lot of pressure to win now, and Earl Watson.
For an 18 year old in America for the first time, that's probably a big deal.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
For an 18 year old in America for the first time, that's probably a big deal.
Yep, feel like part of a family away from home.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Personally I like the family thing Watson preaches.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Just saw that they have the Suns at 27th in the Future power rankings. http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/ ... had-ford#6

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:Just saw that they have the Suns at 27th in the Future power rankings. http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/ ... had-ford#6
So, you're telling me in three years that they think the Suns will be in the same position as they are now?

"Be Legendary."