Around the League: Playoffs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Playoffs

Post by Indy »

The Bison Dele story is still so crazy to me.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/740565820552663045

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:

If anyone wouldn't be scared away from his racism scandal, it would be Louisiana.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Around the League: Playoffs

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
carey wrote:

If anyone wouldn't be scared away from his racism scandal, it would be Louisiana.
Only because Mississippi & Alabama don't have pro teams, but yup. We are desensitized because we see institutional racism daily.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: RE: Re: Around the League: Playoffs

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
carey wrote:

Only because Mississippi & Alabama don't have pro teams, but yup. We are desensitized because we see institutional racism daily.
Exactly. Probably Arkansas, too, but I haven't been there.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought for sure it'd be a Carolina team that hired Ferry, but I knew that despite his racism he'd get another shot. That's just how things go.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I thought for sure it'd be a Carolina team that hired Ferry, but I knew that despite his racism he'd get another shot. That's just how things go.
Maybe I need to go back and read the transcripts again, but it I don't remember them sounding racist. I could be mixing up Ferry and that guy that owned a portion of the Hawks... Didn't Kareem come out and defend him?

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I thought for sure it'd be a Carolina team that hired Ferry, but I knew that despite his racism he'd get another shot. That's just how things go.
Maybe I need to go back and read the transcripts again, but it I don't remember them sounding racist. I could be mixing up Ferry and that guy that owned a portion of the Hawks... Didn't Kareem come out and defend him?
He said some pretty dumb stuff about Luol Deng. Basically he said "he has some African in him" and "he didn't mean it in a bad way."
Ferry continued: "He has a store front out front that's beautiful and great, but he may be selling some counterfeit stuff behind you. And when I say that, I mean for example he can come out and be an unnamed source for a story, and two days later come out and say that was absolutely not me, I can't believe someone said that.

"He could be the lawyer in the locker room when the coach is not around, but when the coach is around he's the greatest guy in the world."
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
He said some pretty dumb stuff about Luol Deng. Basically he said "he has some African in him" and "he didn't mean it in a bad way."
Ferry continued: "He has a store front out front that's beautiful and great, but he may be selling some counterfeit stuff behind you. And when I say that, I mean for example he can come out and be an unnamed source for a story, and two days later come out and say that was absolutely not me, I can't believe someone said that.

"He could be the lawyer in the locker room when the coach is not around, but when the coach is around he's the greatest guy in the world."
Got it. I think I mixed that up with the conversation/email/whatever about how to get more white people to go to games in Atlanta.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I might be mistaken, but I think he said he was actually reading from a report from one of the scouts and read it aloud, in a meeting with others on a conference call. They weren't his words per se, but he spoke them aloud.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Would that be like us labeling Carey and Indy as "racists" because they quoted what was said or read?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:Would that be like us labeling Carey and Indy as "racists" because they quoted what was said or read?
No, I mean the buck stops with Ferry, the GM that employs those scouts. Assuming he read them in advance and wasn't reading off the cuff I just see no justification for it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
In2ition wrote:Would that be like us labeling Carey and Indy as "racists" because they quoted what was said or read?
No, I mean the buck stops with Ferry, the GM that employs those scouts. Assuming he read them in advance and wasn't reading off the cuff I just see no justification for it.
I tend to agree. I am not saying he is a racist, but those are racist comments and you don't let your employees talk that way (much less write that way).

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think it was all overblown. They were unprofessional, ignorant, and silly comments, but it's not like he said "I hate Africans" or "I don't to have any African players on the team." And IIRC, it seemed like there was already an agenda to get rid of him, and they just used this as an excuse.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

“It’s clear we need a lead guard, someone that can really carry the load, day in and day out. That’s something that I think is one of our biggest needs,” Mills said on MSG Network in “Jeff Hornacek: A Knicks Beginning.”
Arron Afflalo has an $8 million player option for the 2016-17 season. He hasn’t made a decision on the option yet, but the expectation is that he will opt out. Rookie Jerian Grant is still developing and may not be ready to take on a starting role. Jose Calderon, 34, may be best suited coming off of the bench at this point. And Tony Wroten is rehabbing a knee injury. So it makes sense that New York would prioritize the lead guard position in the offseason.

The club will have at least $18 million to spend in the offseason, and could also explore the trade market to acquire a guard. They and any other team with needs in the backcourt will have interest in free agent Mike Conley. Restricted Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson also has fans in the Knicks organization, but it seems as if Los Angeles will retain the second-year player.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-knicks ... mills-says

BRANDON KNIGHT
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
“It’s clear we need a lead guard, someone that can really carry the load, day in and day out. That’s something that I think is one of our biggest needs,” Mills said on MSG Network in “Jeff Hornacek: A Knicks Beginning.”
Arron Afflalo has an $8 million player option for the 2016-17 season. He hasn’t made a decision on the option yet, but the expectation is that he will opt out. Rookie Jerian Grant is still developing and may not be ready to take on a starting role. Jose Calderon, 34, may be best suited coming off of the bench at this point. And Tony Wroten is rehabbing a knee injury. So it makes sense that New York would prioritize the lead guard position in the offseason.

The club will have at least $18 million to spend in the offseason, and could also explore the trade market to acquire a guard. They and any other team with needs in the backcourt will have interest in free agent Mike Conley. Restricted Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson also has fans in the Knicks organization, but it seems as if Los Angeles will retain the second-year player.

BRANDON KNIGHT
:lol:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:

BRANDON KNIGHT
+1

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

BRANDON KNIGHT
:lol:
Yes, pretty please!
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think he'd be a logical choice for them. They've had interest in Knight in the past but the biggest question for me is - Will McD trade him? If he's sticking with his vision of a 2 PG lineup, it's a moot point.

I also think Jennings could be in play for them, possibly on a smaller, shorter deal for now.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:They've had interest in Knight in the past but the biggest question for me is - Will McD trade him?
I am afraid you are right. Agh.