NBA Draft Prospects Discussion

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: NBA Draft Prospects Discussion

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote: I think Murray and Dunn are gambles as well. Dunn will be a good defender but he's got a lot of the "bad" parts of bledsoe in him, turnovers and poor outside shooting.

I've come around a little on Murray because he's a fantastic shooter, I just don't think he adds much anywhere else. I'm not convinced he's a pg, nor am I convinced he can defend anyone. If he proves capable of playing the point, he could turn into a pretty good player.

I do think hield is going to be a very good player and if it were up to me I'd consider him at #4 along with Chriss and bender. Chriss is so gifted offensively and athletically that I think he's worth the risk.
Yeah, Dunn's shot is not reliable, is TO prone and rushes things a little too much. Also seems to use only his right hand but Tony Parker does the same. The thing with him is that he looks like the only prospect with elite athleticism and speed for his position. He is a terror on the ball against smaller guards and looks like Wall in the open court. Unlike Bledsoe, he has been assisting a great % of his team offense.

Murray looks like a real shot maker. Seems to have many tricks and a killer instinct and could turn into a Lillard scoring wise, but he is even less of a PG than the guys we have. Hield shares those traits, plus alleged outstanding work ethic and character, minus age 22.

This top 3-6 is a great place to be if you need a guard, but we know what's our situation and Bender scares the shit out of me. If Mirotic can't really shine I really doubt this one is trascending role player status and if I am drafting a role player stretch big at #4 it better be the total package with real weak side and pick and roll defensive chops, which Bender doesn't seem to have supposedly due to lack of focus and weak athleticism.

In part that's why I am so keen on Okafor for #4+, but also because Booker-Jahlil is has great potential to carry an offense long term on its own. Dunn-Booker would have my attention as well.

Anyway, there should be many teams looking to trade for our pick, it's just that after the craptacular season being left in this awkward situation is a huge bummer, especially knowing almost for sure that the two current guards are not getting moved.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'd have thought Noel would fetch more given the ridiculous hype that surrounds him.
I doubt that deal happens. Teague only has one more year on his current contract then he's an UFA. You don't give up Noel to rent Teague for a single season. Now Schroeder I'd understand. 2 more years then he's an RFA. Even McDonough is not myopic enough to make the Teague trade.
Would be so ironic. Hinkie traded his one time allstar PG for Noel, now he could be traded for basically the same although on an expiring contract.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
carey wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'd have thought Noel would fetch more given the ridiculous hype that surrounds him.
I doubt that deal happens. Teague only has one more year on his current contract then he's an UFA. You don't give up Noel to rent Teague for a single season. Now Schroeder I'd understand. 2 more years then he's an RFA. Even McDonough is not myopic enough to make the Teague trade.
Would be so ironic. Hinkie traded his one time allstar PG for Noel, now he could be traded for basically the same although on an expiring contract.
Didn't Philly get another pick with Noel?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Yeah, #10 in 2014, turned into #12 Saric after a trade with Orlando. #42 Pierre jackson to Pelicans as well (looked like a steal until he tore his achilles).

carey

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Yeah, #10 in 2014, turned into #12 Saric after a trade with Orlando. #42 Pierre jackson to Pelicans as well (looked like a steal until he tore his achilles).
It still was a steal, but for the 76ers, considering they sold NOLA damaged goods in Jrue Holiday. The NBA should have severely punished Philly instead of the tiny slap on the wrist they gave them.

I still think drafting Simmons is a mistake and they should pair Ingram with Saric. There are a couple of red flags for me regarding Ben and I very much like the idea of an Ingram-Saric-Okafor/Embiid front court versus one where Saric stays in Europe because the 76ers drafted nearly the exact same type of player to play the same position with a #1 overall pick. If Simmons goes #1 I expect Saric to either be traded June 23rd or to delay coming to the NBA until he is.

And boy would I love to be the team to take Saric off of Philly's hands. I would even consider a trade where we send them #4 for Saric and their 2 late firsts. We'd draft #13, #24, #26, #28, #34.

There's a lot of guys that could help our team in that range like Valentine or Luwawu at 13. Ulis at 24. Then some of the raw big man prospects like Qi, Hernangomez, Thon or Stone. You could get Bembry if you'd like another defensive minded SF to replace Tucker and go a diferrent direction at #13 like Sabonis. Or if you want another G take a look at Malik Beasley.

Bledsoe/Knight/Ulis
Booker/Jenkins
Warren/Valentine(Luwawu)
Saric/Qi/Hernangomez
Len/Chandler

Moving Knight and declining Tucker's option leaves us with a more balanced yet young team We'd probably pick in the top half of the lottery for one more year before we are ready to make some inroads into the playoff.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I thought Saric was a SF.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:I thought Saric was a SF.
He's 6' 10" 233lbs and passes and shoots so I would say he's a modern NBA PF.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Murray at 4, Sabonis at 13, trade Knight to IND/HOU/NOP for two distant future firsts.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:It still was a steal, but for the 76ers
Absolutely.
I still think drafting Simmons is a mistake and they should pair Ingram with Saric. There are a couple of red flags for me regarding Ben and I very much like the idea of an Ingram-Saric-Okafor/Embiid front court versus one where Saric stays in Europe because the 76ers drafted nearly the exact same type of player to play the same position with a #1 overall pick. If Simmons goes #1 I expect Saric to either be traded June 23rd or to delay coming to the NBA until he is.
Can't agree on this one. Simmons in my opinion is the better prospect vs Ingram and totally can see Saric struggling in the NBA due to lack of speed and general athleticism. Besides, Ingram-Saric-Okafor sounds terribly weak on defense and rebounding. Anyway, Dario Saric should not influence my decision on who is taken #1.

I so wish #4+Knight for Okafor+ was doable. 76rs could be looking at Dunn-Knight-Covington-Simmons-Embiid, plus Noel, Saric and many other assets. I don't think the '+' from Okafor could be Saric, though, unless you are ready to move #13.

#13 is an interesting place. Taurean Prince, Luwawu, Korkmaz, Skal, maybe Sabonis. A couple or more should be available. Bembry looks really intringuing, had not seen or read anything on him. Explosive first step (only other prospects that impress there are Simmons and Dunn), tenacious defender and good passer.
Moving Knight and declining Tucker's option leaves us with a more balanced yet young team We'd probably pick in the top half of the lottery for one more year before we are ready to make some inroads into the playoff.
I want to move Knight, almost at any cost, but I would never decline PJ's option. At 5M he is valuable if you want to trade him and some win now team will send you a low 1stR attached to some garbage salary.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

The Suns will draft Sabonis. It's a done deal. He got the dinner. IIRC, we've never failed to draft a player the Suns took to dinner, a baseball game, or in the case of Amare Stoudemire, both.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

OE32 wrote:The Suns will draft Sabonis. It's a done deal. He got the dinner. IIRC, we've never failed to draft a player the Suns took to dinner, a baseball game, or in the case of Amare Stoudemire, both.
He's got to be there, though. At #13 I mean. There is no way he'd go #4.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
OE32 wrote:The Suns will draft Sabonis. It's a done deal. He got the dinner. IIRC, we've never failed to draft a player the Suns took to dinner, a baseball game, or in the case of Amare Stoudemire, both.
The only team ahead of us that I could see taking him is Toronto. Sabonis is not as high as #13 in any mock I've seen except nbadraft.net. At the end of the day, FOs will take the players will the best measurables, upside, etc., and Sabonis will drop. No further than 13.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Is the dinner thing true? That's really interesting if so. I can't imagine the suns tipping their hand like that though and only taking 1 prospect to dinner every year.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Here's a question for you....What do you think, if you would even want to, it's worth to move up to #2 and draft Ingram? Seems like Big Ben to the 76ers is going to happen so that leaves LA at 2 and I've heard more then 1 person say they are willing to move the pick.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

OE32 wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
The only team ahead of us that I could see taking him is Toronto. Sabonis is not as high as #13 in any mock I've seen except nbadraft.net. At the end of the day, FOs will take the players will the best measurables, upside, etc., and Sabonis will drop. No further than 13.
Cool. Cool cool cool.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Here's a question for you....What do you think, if you would even want to, it's worth to move up to #2 and draft Ingram? Seems like Big Ben to the 76ers is going to happen so that leaves LA at 2 and I've heard more then 1 person say they are willing to move the pick.
I think it is not worth the price the Lakers would demand, but I am not high on Ingram.

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Here's a question for you....What do you think, if you would even want to, it's worth to move up to #2 and draft Ingram? Seems like Big Ben to the 76ers is going to happen so that leaves LA at 2 and I've heard more then 1 person say they are willing to move the pick.
#4, Len, and #28.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think he will be around at #13. If we could trade up to #7 or 8, maybe. Let's come up with a trade with Denver where we ship them, say, Knight + Tucker + #13 for Faried + #7, or something like that. Whatever makes the cap work.

TOO

Post by TOO »

That'd be nice, but we would probably have to include the late 1st in such a move. Knight and Faried are a wash, Tucker and 13 don't net us 7.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If they like Sabonis so much and the draft is a crap shoot after 1 & 2, why not just take him with 4 rather than hoping he's still there at 13?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."