Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

TOO

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:So help me, if they hire Jason Kidd to be our next coach, I am done.
We better start talking about the phx-suns.net succession plans.
PHX-SUNS.MEH

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote: PHX-SUNS.MEH
6/10. Worthy effort.

I will not be here for a Kidd led Suns team even if we draft Doncic. I'm just not into it at all & the idea already has me throwing up in my mouth a bit.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

WIll everyone get free french fries if we score 100 pts?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If Budenholzer or Clifford get fired, they'd be strong candidates. I could easily see us hiring AZ-native Bud.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Shabazz wrote:If Budenholzer or Clifford get fired, they'd be strong candidates. I could easily see us hiring AZ-native Bud.
Why would they fire bud. He did well with a mediocre roster in the past and now they have an awful roster. I would suggest we make a push for him though and maybe he asks to leave. I can't watch another year of our Portland for dummies offense.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Any word when interviews begin?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote: PHX-SUNS.MEH
6/10. Worthy effort.

I will not be here for a Kidd led Suns team even if we draft Doncic. I'm just not into it at all & the idea already has me throwing up in my mouth a bit.
C'mon man, you're addicted to us. You aren't going anywhere.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Danimal wrote:Any word when interviews begin?
I imagine they already have. McDonough said the search would be as private as possible this time around.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wonder if Vogel gets a call. Feel like McD may have some connection/familiarity from his time Boston while Vogel was in Indy.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Vogel was in Orlando before their current GM, John Hammond, was hired.

Hammond did pretty well in Milwaukee and Vogel has not done well since leaving Indiana. It could be a bad fit situation for one or the other in Orlando, or they could both suck. I'm personally not too keen on finding out if it was Vogel. But he's available and there are worse options on the table.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

carey wrote:
I imagine they already have. McDonough said the search would be as private as possible this time around.
What do you mean this time around? When was it publicized before?

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

McDonough needs to quit trying to outsmart himself and make the common sense hire of either Nick Nurse or Igor Kokoskov.

Problem with McDonough has always been that he thinks he’s smarter than he actually is so he ends up screwing up.

Please Ryan, use that brain of yours bud...

carey

Post by carey »

UglyTruth wrote:
carey wrote:
Just kind of reiterating what was said.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:If Budenholzer or Clifford get fired, they'd be strong candidates. I could easily see us hiring AZ-native Bud.
This. Of everyone mentioned (since it sounds like there is no way in hell we can pry Jay Wright away), this would be my top choice.

And I am with several others in saying that I won't be watching suns games if Kidd is the coach. Everyone knows what he is. You don't reward that.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

It doesn't matter who the coach is.

We're not winning many games with half our salary cap in Chandler / Dudley / Knight. None of these three players contribute much, and Knight, the highest paid of the lot, is perhaps the worst PG in the NBA given his appalling defense and his penchant for pounding the ball for 23 seconds into the hardwood and then launching desperation shots. As a result, both his defensive and offensive RPM are awful.

We can't win with so much money tied up in players who are worse than replacement level.

carey

Post by carey »

Is Bud really getting fired?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

carey wrote:Is Bud really getting fired?
Don't know about Bud but Clifford got the axe this morning
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
carey wrote:
Just kind of reiterating what was said.
During Exit interviews yesterday, McD said that they had not started talking to coaches, but they had talked to coaching agents about who is interested and available. They had their list and would begin talking directly with coaches once they finished closing out the year with current players and staff. He expected that to start last night or today.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Clifford would be a kick in the ass for this team but I'm not sure that's what we need. I'd love him as a top assistant for a guy like JVG. That'd be a top coaching duo.

Kidd Karma

Post by Kidd Karma »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Vogel was in Orlando before their current GM, John Hammond, was hired.

Hammond did pretty well in Milwaukee and Vogel has not done well since leaving Indiana. It could be a bad fit situation for one or the other in Orlando, or they could both suck. I'm personally not too keen on finding out if it was Vogel. But he's available and there are worse options on the table.
Yea, the previous GM Hennigan, just couldn't commit. His moves was just heading shaking. Center....Vucevic 12 million per....he goes out and signs Biyombo at 17 per. These are 2 bigs that cannot coexist on the floor, it's one or the other....great you devote 29 million to one position. Decide you're going all in and move Sabonis and Oladipo for Ibaka? Great....only problem, you drafted Aaron Gordon whom you penciled in as a Blake Griffin clone as the PF, so now you have Gordon and Ibaka at the PF position, no Gordon as a small forward doesn't work. So again you're wasting draft capital and salary cap space over compensating one position....not to mention you traded away Oladipo, last I check he can spread the floor and create offense. The guard you decide to keep Elfrid Payton, can't shoot. So that's 2 players, Gordon and Payton that can't shoot, but are starters. Just horrible roster management. No way Vogel succeeds with that kind of personnel. I think Vogel is a quality coach, his Indy days should earn him a pass in Orlando.