Suns News: Week 16 1/28-2/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: Week 16 1/28-2/3

Post by INFORMER »

You can't be this bad and give up on developing talent. You just can't.

It's clear James Jones has sold Sarver on this idea that the Suns have been so bad because they are so young (never mind the fact that some of the worst performances this year came from their most veteran players).

All this is going to lead to is a bunch of mediocre players on bad deals and a team that is stuck with a ceiling of a 10th seed.

It's real simple: get the right talent. Get pieces that fit together. Keep drafting. Sign smart, free agent contracts.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:36 pm
“We wanted to go into the trade deadline for the purpose of getting a player and not a project,” Jones said. “Not a prospect, but a player. So we got one and we’re happy that he’s with us and hopefully he can fill a void for us. The point guard position has been a position where we really haven’t had much success. We hope that he can come in and playing next to (Devin) Booker as a primary, secondary ball handler and can give us the capacity to compete a little bit better.”
What a joke.
My favorite quote from that same presser: "My long term plan is to continue to finish the season."

Yeesh.

Watch this video if you want to get a sense of what the opposite of a "First Class Organization" is: https://www.azcentral.com/media/cinemat ... franchise/

Poor Jones, whether capable or not, is being asked to succeed with his legs cut out from under him and an owner above him who thinks he knows Bball.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:49 pm

It's clear James Jones has sold Sarver on this idea that the Suns have been so bad because they are so young (never mind the fact that some of the worst performances this year came from their most veteran players).

All this is going to lead to is a bunch of mediocre players on bad deals and a team that is stuck with a ceiling of a 10th seed.

It's real simple: get the right talent. Get pieces that fit together. Keep drafting. Sign smart, free agent contracts.
According to James Jones, the draft is a crapshoot.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:59 pm
INFORMER wrote:

According to James Jones, the draft is a crapshoot.
When you're the Phoenix Suns, everything is a crapshoot.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:

i'll make it more simple: get a credible veteran point guard.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Step 1: Draft Zion.
Step 2: Trade a package including TJ and picks for Jrue or Conley.

I honestly think that team should and could make the playoffs.

SDC

Post by SDC »

I dont think zion is going to phoenix. and nobody wants tyler johnson's bloated contract.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:55 am
Step 1: Draft Zion.
Step 2: Trade a package including TJ and picks for Jrue or Conley.

I honestly think that team should and could make the playoffs.
We have like a 15% chance of getting Zion, which basically equates to a zero percent chance after winning the lottery last year. But yeah if we had Zion and Ayton up front, with Jrue/Conley starting along Booker with Mikal or Josh at the 3, I think that team could be a top 8 team in the west.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd be over the moon if we got Zion. But even if we did get him, we would need a lot of roster improvement to be a good team. We have horrendous 3-point shooting; we desperately need more guys like Bridges who can play D and shoot from distance. I also worry about a Zion/Ayton frontcourt since they both don't shoot 3s and because Ayton's defense is questionable. For an Ayton/Zion frontcourt to work best you would need all of your 1-3 guys to be good 3-point shooters and ideally good perimeter defenders. Booker's D is pretty awful but you can live with it due to his way above average shooting/scoring. You can't pair Booker with another guard who is a bad perimeter defender because then the perimeter defense is just a disaster.

So you would really need to find a PG who has no real weaknesses: great passer, solid 3-point shooter, can defend his position. It's quite a tall order to find such a PG. I still like Rubio in that spot, but his shooting may not be good enough for what we need. Conley would be great, but his contract and age might not work well with our general timeline. Ball could also work; the shooting may not be there, but otherwise he fits pretty well, and he's young enough that his shooting might still improve.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Booker-Zion-Ayton isn’t a perfect fit, but they’re good enough, you could make it work.

How good would Zion look next to JJJ? I wouldn’t be opposed to moving some big pieces(Booker or Ayton) to make the fit better.