Jared Dudley return to Suns in 3-year, $30m deal

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Jared Dudley return to Suns in 3-year, $30m deal

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Can't have it both ways. Can't want more maturity on the team without vets. Can't have vets without paying unless you are a contender.

INFORMER

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by INFORMER »

JustWinBaby wrote: The most surprising thing is how well this is being received by most Suns fans. These are the same fans that constantly complain about the Suns not making any moves that point them in the direction of a Championship. They say that all we have are a bunch of role players. Well we just added another one.

How does the signing of Dudley improve our championship aspirations?
It doesn't hurt championship aspirations at all. He's the kind of veteran presence you want on a rebuilding team. He's not going to demand touches or minutes; he's a team first guy. He's going to help our on court play in terms of making plays to put his teammates in a good position and he's going to help the lockerroom as well. The money is reasonable, too, although I would have preferred a two-year deal.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

JustWinBaby wrote: What date on the calendar should we start having championship aspirations? Will it be this decade? Will it be this century?
Does it matter, really? It wasn't going to be this season. We have 3 players ages 19 or younger that will be getting quality minutes for our team. We have 3 more that will play major roles that are just 22, 23, and 24. Those aspirations will come when our core team grows together for a while.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Good signing.
Don't understand some people being surprised at this as McD said they would be signing a vet 3/4 to play a year or two to help the new guys, here one is who loves Phx and as many have said will be a big help in the locker room, will be a big professional influence on the new guys and has a great work ethic.
$10 mil per is a good deal in today's market.
Keep him for 1,2 years depending on progress of the young ones and in year 3 the salary cap will be even higher so still a good deal regarding a trade if you want it.
Great character to have around our new guys and if that's all he brings, so be it, but he will bring so much more we will reap the benefits for in a few years to come.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I would rather give this contract to Dudley than Teletovic or Tucker (whose shooting and D have fallen off a bit, though still above average), and Tele got way more money than this anyway.
Didn't they get the same?
My bad. Even at the same money I would prefer Dudley. I think Mirza is still hoping for a bigger role and hopes to play on a contender. Dudley is happier in Phoenix and more of a positive energy and glue guy.
Yeah, I'd rather have him too. He's a more all-around player and he will be a great influence on the young guys.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:Now if Tucker is on his way out the door, I will give him a chance.
How big of you.

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Ring_Wanted wrote:The kind of move we needed. People yawn but he brings what many were demanding or felt this teams needs. Won't stunt the development of the kids, will be a pro, will deliver within his posibilities, adds versatility and won't cost a fortune for the privilege of not moving the needle.

And absolutely, there doesn't need to be a choice, but I would take Dudley over Teletovic any day (although Teletowar had his moments last season for sure).
I completely agree with this. Captures all I want to say on this subject. Great move.

JustWinBaby

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by JustWinBaby »

INFORMER wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote: The most surprising thing is how well this is being received by most Suns fans. These are the same fans that constantly complain about the Suns not making any moves that point them in the direction of a Championship. They say that all we have are a bunch of role players. Well we just added another one.

How does the signing of Dudley improve our championship aspirations?
It doesn't hurt championship aspirations at all. He's the kind of veteran presence you want on a rebuilding team. He's not going to demand touches or minutes; he's a team first guy. He's going to help our on court play in terms of making plays to put his teammates in a good position and he's going to help the lockerroom as well. The money is reasonable, too, although I would have preferred a two-year deal.
I totally agree with you on the two years while I also think that 3 years is not horrible. My comments are really not about Dudley. When Dudley was here before, he was one of my favorites. My problems are two fold. It seems as though that when we sign a fan favorite there is no concern about a championship. If we sign virtually anyone we don't like they are criticized for not moving the needle to win a championship. I also really see no reason for Tucker on this team with Dudley and Chandler in the locker room. I also expect that we will somehow add Ronnie Price. I can see that happening, unfortunately. I can also see Watson playing them.

I would like to see us add Derrick Williams on a 2 year deal as well Cole Aldrich. I don't know of any potential personality issues with either but it appears that they could be good additions at a reasonable price.

I expect that if we do sign them that they will be put under the microscope for moves not getting us closer to a championship.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It seems as though that when we sign a fan favorite there is no concern about a championship. If we sign virtually anyone we don't like they are criticized for not moving the needle to win a championship.
I think that's an oversimplification. How many fan favorites have been signed? And in free agency, you have to look at the money being given to the free agent, the position the free agent players, and composition of the roster, and the age of the free agent, and the duration of the contract. All of that (should) goes into evaluating a free agent acquisition.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You need some patience, JWB. This team is not in championship mode. They seem to be doing it the right way now by building it slowly with young character guys. OKC and the Warriors are a good example of this. They didn't win right away. It took a few years to build up to their current successes.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/DaveKingNBA/status/749300080797114368

https://twitter.com/JaredDudley619/status/749330562578395136

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:You need some patience, JWB. This team is not in championship mode. They seem to be doing it the right way now by building it slowly with young character guys. OKC and the Warriors are a good example of this. They didn't win right away. It took a few years to build up to their current successes.
Bone - I do have the patience and I like what we have done in the draft. I just do not want to watch players like Dudley, Tucker and Price taking minutes away from our youngsters. Watson played the youngster last year because everyone was hurt and that was his only and best choice. This year we have everyone healthy and it is going to be a challenge to get minutes especially if Tucker and Dudley are in the mix. I want Bender, Chriss, Booker and Warren to get consistent minutes starting on day one of the season. That may not be the best rotation for us to win games, so be it. I am willing to be patient.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

TOO

Post by TOO »

You can't force Chriss and Bender into big minutes right away. Those 2 are not ready for the league yet. They need a buffer while they acclimate to NBA speed and strength. Dudley gives us that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Superbone wrote:You need some patience, JWB. This team is not in championship mode. They seem to be doing it the right way now by building it slowly with young character guys. OKC and the Warriors are a good example of this. They didn't win right away. It took a few years to build up to their current successes.
Bone - I do have the patience and I like what we have done in the draft. I just do not want to watch players like Dudley, Tucker and Price taking minutes away from our youngsters. Watson played the youngster last year because everyone was hurt and that was his only and best choice. This year we have everyone healthy and it is going to be a challenge to get minutes especially if Tucker and Dudley are in the mix. I want Bender, Chriss, Booker and Warren to get consistent minutes starting on day one of the season. That may not be the best rotation for us to win games, so be it. I am willing to be patient.
Gotcha. I'm guessing you're right that Watson wants to win and will play the guys that give him the best chance to do it. However, I don't think it's such a bad thing for the young guys. They'll get to watch how the pros do it the right way and they will learn from that. They will get a lot of experience in practice as well as in game although it might not be as much as you'd prefer. I hope it's a good balance too.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JustWinBaby wrote:
I agree that the young guns need court time to develop. But I do think it helps to have vets on the court to help steady the team. I certainly don't want to see Price + Duds + Tucker + Chandler on the court at the same time. But I don't want to see Ulis + Booker + Warren + Bender + Len with Chriss, Goodwin, and Brown off the bench either. Let's wait and see what the rest of the summer brings. We don't currently have Price on the roster. We will definitely have opportunities to trade Tucker and Chandler.

I think Hornacek was under pressure to make the playoffs. It sounds like Watson is not. So I will hope through the summer.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
Gotcha. I'm guessing you're right that Watson wants to win and will play the guys that give him the best chance to do it. However, I don't think it's such a bad thing for the young guys. They'll get to watch how the pros do it the right way and they will learn from that. They will get a lot of experience in practice as well as in game although it might not be as much as you'd prefer. I hope it's a good balance too.
The only thing PJ does the right way is vacation, as evidenced by him traveling this whole offseason . That guy does not play the game the right way.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I agree with O_Gardino, let's see how far along the youngsters are in Summer league first, before we start demanding minutes for them in the regular season. It might be awhile, or we might be saying that they need minutes from go.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's difficult to be upset with this signing even for the most skeptical.

Usually I'd prefer the Suns to bottom out one more time and secure another top 5 pick, but I think there's too many young guys on this roster to take that risk. We don't want them getting comfortable with losing night in and out. Plus, with the current state of this roster, there isn't really much excuse for this team to not be around .500 if everyone stays relatively healthy.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Danny

Post by Danny »

specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
The only thing PJ does the right way is vacation, as evidenced by him traveling this whole offseason . That guy does not play the game the right way.
They don't call him 'Old Town' PJ Tucker for nothing.

SDC

Post by SDC »

no way this team tanks. hopefully suns incorporate the rooks the way heat did with winslow and josh richardson. they were key contributors during miami's playoff run.