Around the League: Week 10 12/17-12/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: Around the League: Week 10 12/17-12/23

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:31 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:01 am
Ariza in his first game back with Washington played 38 minutes, scored 19 points on 6 of 17 shooting, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 6 steals in a loss to the Atlanta Hawks. F you!
Ariza's 2nd game with Washington: 36 minutes, 15 points, 1-8 from 3, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals in a loss to the Rockets.
3rd loss incoming.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That Knight trade worked out pretty well for us. Anderson is dead weight, but we got Melton, which is no small thing. And Knight is worse than dead weight; he's a negative.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mavs haven’t won since we beat them, and we haven’t lost since we beat them.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:55 pm
That Knight trade worked out pretty well for us. Anderson is dead weight, but we got Melton, which is no small thing. And Knight is worse than dead weight; he's a negative.
Was his injury that severe? He missed a full season, and he's just now starting to play games a week before Christmas? He looks like a shell of the player he was for Milwaukee. I honestly feel really, really bad for him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They had to go in for a 2nd surgery I think in training camp to clean up the knee and then he caught an infection so he's just getting back out there. Maybe he'll get some extended minutes now that Paul is out with a hamstring injury.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:19 am
They had to go in for a 2nd surgery I think in training camp to clean up the knee and then he caught an infection so he's just getting back out there. Maybe he'll get some extended minutes now that Paul is out with a hamstring injury.
I doubt it. He has a negative PER in the 5 games he's played. That's really hard to do.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:27 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:19 am
I doubt it. He has a negative PER in the 5 games he's played. That's really hard to do.
Do you know how you calculate PER for an individual game? It includes weighting based on team and league performance, so do they only look at all the stats for players that day, or an average of everything up to that point in the season?

bbref has Game Score for every game (which is listed as basically PER if it were linear and didn't adjust for team/league pace).

Here is the formula:
Game Score Formula =(Points)+0.4*(Field Goals Made)+0.7*(Offensive Rebounds)+0.3*(Defensive rebounds)+(Steals)+0.7*(Assists)+0.7*(Blocked Shots)- 0.7*(Field Goal Attempts)-0.4*(Free Throws Missed) – 0.4*(Personal Fouls)-(Turnovers)

You have to be pretty bad to get a negative Game Score. BK has done it 35 times.

Code: Select all

Team Games GmSc<0
DET    141    15
MIL    124     3
PHX    117    13
HOU      5     4

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:19 am

You have to be pretty bad to get a negative Game Score. BK has done it 35 times.
I wonder who has done it most overall...

Rk       Player Pos From   To Count
1     Greg Kite   C 1984 1995   193
2    Joe Kleine   C 1986 2000   190
3     Mark West   C 1984 2000   188
Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 12/21/2018.

Yup. Just knew there had to be some Suns near the top.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:21 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:19 am

I wonder who has done it most overall...

Rk       Player Pos From   To Count
1     Greg Kite   C 1984 1995   193
2    Joe Kleine   C 1986 2000   190
3     Mark West   C 1984 2000   188
Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 12/21/2018.

Yup. Just knew there had to be some Suns near the top.
I think it makes sense to see Centers from that time frame near the top. Especially when you look at how much is detracted for missed FTA and fouls, and not much is given for defensive rebounds.

Only 3 guards in the top 20 all time. 8 Centers, 9 Forwards.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lebron James is openly tampering and asking Anthony Davis to come to the Lakers during the season. The league doesn't seem to be doing anything. I really want them to heavily fine him and send a message that it's not okay to openly court players from small-market teams to leave when they become free agents.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2558 ... hony-davis

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The rule for execs should apply to players as well.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I was thinking about this and how it would be up to AD to pass on the Super Max that should be offered to him. I think the Super Max hurts teams more than it helps to keep players.

Maybe they should do something different, but they won't because it won't be considered fair or equal treatment. They should allow small market teams to go over the luxury tax without taxing them. The way it's set up now, the teams like NY or LA can go over the luxury tax and not feel any effect on the org, since they practically print money. I know it helps the smaller market teams get paid when other teams go over the tax, but if NO paid AD the Super Max, they would hamstring their org for years to come. Look at Washington and the upcoming Wall contract. They got rid of a good player in Oubre and one of their only future assets to win today and avoid more tax implications tomorrow and without really getting anything back for him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

i still think ayton can win ROTY if the suns have the better win loss record than dallas by the end of the season

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:54 am
Lebron James is openly tampering and asking Anthony Davis to come to the Lakers during the season. The league doesn't seem to be doing anything. I really want them to heavily fine him and send a message that it's not okay to openly court players from small-market teams to leave when they become free agents.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2558 ... hony-davis
A player saying he wants to play with someone else isn't tampering. I think it would be fair to change the rules in the CBA, but it isn't there now. If I were a player, I would opening recruit people to my team that I thought would make it better if it weren't against the rules. You think players wait until FA to talk to other players about where to play?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Players talk to each other now more than ever about teaming up, but I don't think it's good for the league if one player is publicly recruiting another players still under contract somewhere else. They can talk, text, facetime in private, but doing it publicly makes the league look bad in my opinion.

On social media, fans are blaming the media for asking the questions but that's their job. The NBA can step in and tell the players not to comment.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:38 am
Players talk to each other now more than ever about teaming up, but I don't think it's good for the league if one player is publicly recruiting another players still under contract somewhere else. They can talk, text, facetime in private, but doing it publicly makes the league look bad in my opinion.

On social media, fans are blaming the media for asking the questions but that's their job. The NBA can step in and tell the players not to comment.
Does it make the league look bad if Jeff Teague says he wants to sign the best FA for his team this summer? I think it is only looking bad because it is LeBron and people don't want him building "super teams"

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If he isn't naming other players he can say what he wants. Part of it is because it's LeBron but only because he holds that kind of power. Teague doesn't have 30 media memers hanging on his every word every night. LeBron speaking publicly, or any player speaking publicly about another, puts that player in a tough spot - along with the rest of the organization and fanbase. It becomes an unnecessary distraction. Superstars' words hold that kind of weight. If Devin were a FA this summer and AD came out and said, "I'd love to see Devin on this team sign here this summer. Never got to play with him at Kentucky and he and Jrue would be a killer backcourt", I think a lot of us would be unhappy.

LeBron can build superteams as much as he wants. And we know guys want to play with him, but it's different him or anyone talking openly about other teams' players.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:54 pm
If he isn't naming other players he can say what he wants. Part of it is because it's LeBron but only because he holds that kind of power. Teague doesn't have 30 media memers hanging on his every word every night. LeBron speaking publicly, or any player speaking publicly about another, puts that player in a tough spot - along with the rest of the organization and fanbase. It becomes an unnecessary distraction. Superstars' words hold that kind of weight. If Devin were a FA this summer and AD came out and said, "I'd love to see Devin on this team sign here this summer. Never got to play with him at Kentucky and he and Jrue would be a killer backcourt", I think a lot of us would be unhappy.

LeBron can build superteams as much as he wants. And we know guys want to play with him, but it's different him or anyone talking openly about other teams' players.
I get what you are saying, I just don't agree since they are powerless to actually make it happen. They are employees and can only work if a GM gives them a contract. If a GM or owner bend to his wishes, that is on them.

I'd be OK if there was a rule in the CBA that said they couldn't talk about other players publicly, but then you get into the arguments of "did he like his instagram post about playing with LeBron" and stupid stuff like that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Also keep in mind lebron was asked a question. He didn’t just decide to say he wanted AD. He was asked about it. Sure, he could have said something generic like “I’m focusing on the players on my team right now” but I’m not too worried. AD is not even a free agent this offseason. New Orleans still has plenty of time to build something around him. And If they don’t, AD will want out regardless of anything LeBron says

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I guess the truth of it is, even if Lebron hadn't said that out loud to the media, he probably would have said it to AD in a text or in person. Players do this kind of thing all the time. I don't like it, but it happens a lot.