Suns News: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by ShelC »

Indy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:37 pm
ShelC wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:31 pm
My concern is that while we're young and have talent, we're reliant on a 35 year old Chris Paul. So in our case that chart is a little deceptive.
It is weighted by how many minutes each person plays, so I don't think it is that deceptive.
Ah missed that.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Interesting that the suns SM account posted this.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:51 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:59 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:02 am
Look at Ayton move in this clip. He glides. He’s so much more lumbering and lead-footed now.
Ayton glides when he wants and is lumbering when he’s tired and lazy. He was gliding in the second half of the lakers game this weekend
It’s not just effort. He’s bulkier now and not as mobile.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:11 pm
Interesting that the suns SM account posted this.
Everything is leverage.

I'd be really surprised if the Suns made any trade this week, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be playing the information game.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:02 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am
Would you do Ayton/Jalen/Carter for Gordon/Birch?

Then add a buyout big(McGee, Drummond, Dieng, Whiteside)

Paul, Payne, Moore
Booker, Nader, Galloway
Bridges, Johnson, Craig
Gordon, Crowder, Kaminsky
Saric, Birch, Buyout

Gordon is a more reliable 3rd option offensively. I think he’d be more efficient here. He’s got the skills to be a point-5 guy. And while we’d need to add size, Gordon is pretty good defensively. We could potentially close with him at the 5.

Probably need a 3rd team though as Ayton/Vuc doesn’t really work for Orlando.
Split, I think you’re in too much of a rush to deal Ayton. We are under no obligation to extend him this summer and can kick the can on this discussion for another year.

I know we want to maximize the CP window, but that means we should only trade DA for a package that definitely takes us up a level right now, even if it hurts our future. Nance & McGee, Jarrett Allen, Aaron Gordon - these are flawed role players who arguably make us worse in the present, which trumps any cap gains we net in 2 years.

John Collins + Capela for Ayton/Smith is interesting and probably the bar.

KAT is a yes for me, dawg.
You’re probably right. Part of it is my feelings toward Ayton, but he’s also really our only contract I’m willing to move. I mean I’d move Saric/Crowder for the right person, but I don’t think moving them is smart.

I’m also not always all-in on these trades. Just thinking out loud and trying to see what we could get.

I like Aaron Gordon. I think he’d be a really good fit here and would be better than in Orlando, but it’s a really hard trade to make without a plan at C. We’d have to have something else lined up or we do turn into the Celtics with no C. So straight up, ya I think Gordon is a better basketball player than Ayton, but I’m not sure it makes sense without another move.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:10 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:02 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am
Would you do Ayton/Jalen/Carter for Gordon/Birch?

Then add a buyout big(McGee, Drummond, Dieng, Whiteside)

Paul, Payne, Moore
Booker, Nader, Galloway
Bridges, Johnson, Craig
Gordon, Crowder, Kaminsky
Saric, Birch, Buyout

Gordon is a more reliable 3rd option offensively. I think he’d be more efficient here. He’s got the skills to be a point-5 guy. And while we’d need to add size, Gordon is pretty good defensively. We could potentially close with him at the 5.

Probably need a 3rd team though as Ayton/Vuc doesn’t really work for Orlando.
Split, I think you’re in too much of a rush to deal Ayton. We are under no obligation to extend him this summer and can kick the can on this discussion for another year.

I know we want to maximize the CP window, but that means we should only trade DA for a package that definitely takes us up a level right now, even if it hurts our future. Nance & McGee, Jarrett Allen, Aaron Gordon - these are flawed role players who arguably make us worse in the present, which trumps any cap gains we net in 2 years.

John Collins + Capela for Ayton/Smith is interesting and probably the bar.

KAT is a yes for me, dawg.
You’re probably right. Part of it is my feelings toward Ayton, but he’s also really our only contract I’m willing to move. I mean I’d move Saric/Crowder for the right person, but I don’t think moving them is smart.

I’m also not always all-in on these trades. Just thinking out loud and trying to see what we could get.

I like Aaron Gordon. I think he’d be a really good fit here and would be better than in Orlando, but it’s a really hard trade to make without a plan at C. We’d have to have something else lined up or we do turn into the Celtics with no C. So straight up, ya I think Gordon is a better basketball player than Ayton, but I’m not sure it makes sense without another move.
I agree with Bazz 100%. I also really don't think Gordon is a better basketball player than Ayton. If he were that good, he should not have been in the rumor mills for three years straight.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Orlando hasn’t exactly been a good spot for him. They’ve asked him to be someone he’s not too often. Played him at the 3 when he’s a 4. I’m not worried he’s been in trade talks...he’s never been a great fit in Orlando and they signed that deal specifically because it gave him more trade value.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yeah, I know that Orlando has been a mess. Gordon is elite at one skill only, and that's his athleticism. In that regard he's a little bit similar to Ayton, a jack of all trades but expert of none. He's a solid passer, but not a true offensive focal point; he can shoot the 3 some, but not someone that has particular gravity; he can attack the basket, but isn't someone who you can give the ball to and clear out when you need a bucket; and he's a solid and switchable defender, but nobody has ever considered him a lock down defender who could take an opposing offensive player out of the game just by himself. In all his years in the league, Gordon hasn't put those things together, and any time he's talked about as a trade piece, his contract is always the first to come up. He's paid properly for his value right now, and I'd *love* to get him, but not at the price of Ayton, because that would leave a huge gaping hole at the 5 that isn't really replaced by the additional value we get with Gordon at the 4. If Bamba is somehow included, I might be a bit more intrigued, but that still doesn't jive with CP3's timeline...

Split T

Post by Split T »

Don’t really have any issues with your analysis. I think Gordon is a guy that’s gonna be better on a good team. You’re right that he’s not great at anything, but he’s good at lots of things. Make him a 3rd option instead of a 1st or 2nd and give him some actually good guards and I think he’s better. He’s not coming here, I think we know that, but he’s going to get moved. I’m curious to see how he does. Just hope it’s to Boston and not Denver or Portland.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yeah I see him as a slightly less proven Mikal, but certainly one who can handle bigger players on the defensive end.

Maybe a case of me being a homer.

I'd like to see him go to the Wolves. I feel really bad for Towns.

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:31 pm
Yeah I see him as a slightly less proven Mikal, but certainly one who can handle bigger players on the defensive end.

Maybe a case of me being a homer.

I'd like to see him go to the Wolves. I feel really bad for Towns.
I’d be cool with that too. Just think he’d make Denver or Portland a lot tougher.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yeah totally get what you mean. I think the injuries have given Portland a slimmer window to evaluate their team. That starting lineup is actually quite formidable when Nurkic is healthy and Covington is taking more than 2 shots a game, but they need to play together first. Wonder if the Covington/Gordon combo is similar to the Isaac/Gordon lineup? Though Covington is much more willing to let it fly from 3 so maybe spacing will be a bit better.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya Covington is a little more of a 3 than Isaac. Plus all the attention Dame and CJ demand would do wonders for Gordon. Hard to trap Lillard when he can dump to Gordon who can attack 4 on 3.

Split T

Post by Split T »

My goodness, suns have a higher half court offensive rating than the league average overall offensive rating

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ugh, we're one of those ugly Spurs/Celts/Heat grind-it-out halfcourt teams that plays the possession game and only scores like 89 points.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:08 am
Ugh, we're one of those ugly Spurs/Celts/Heat grind-it-out halfcourt teams that plays the possession game and only scores like 89 points.
I guess maybe a modern version that only scores 114 points

Indy

Post by Indy »

Book and Paul have been half court players their entire careers.

Cap

Post by Cap »

At least Paul has stopped doing the “roll the ball to half court” thing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:28 am
Most of the time. He still does it a few times a game (and not just when it makes sense) and it drives me nuts.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:43 am
Cap wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:28 am
Most of the time. He still does it a few times a game (and not just when it makes sense) and it drives me nuts.
Yes. They have really greatly adapted well as a team though.