If it were up to you, would you keep Knight or Bledsoe...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: If it were up to you, would you keep Knight or Bledsoe..

Post by Indy »

To sum up. Yes trade either or both Bledsoe or Knight if you get a great offer for an All Star PG. If that doesn't happen then hang onto them this year and try to make it work.
I don't think you need an All-Star PG. And if the other team has an ASPG, why would they want either of our non-ASPGs? My concern is just as much about neither being a legit 2 guard either. As you said, they are combo guards. But both guys are sized like PGs. Neither could guard a 2, and Knight can't guard PGs either. If your concern is defense, you can't be happy with our highest paid players being 2 small guards that both play SG, but neither can guard one.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

One of my concerns with Offense by PG is that our guys are not big. Bledsoe is generously listed at 6-1, Price is a bit taller and Knight is yet a bit taller.

It would be nice to have somebody like a (healthy) Greivis Vasquez in the rotation. I thought Archie might be that person, but maybe not ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I would be surprised if Bledsoe is above 5-11. I know he was measured at the combine as 6' 0.25" without shoes, but he just seems smaller in person.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This is thee Suns after all. Defense has never been traditionally what they are known for.

They aren't standard 1 or 2s. They are combo guards.

Knight 5.2 assists per game #26
Bledsoe 6.3 assists per game #15

Stephen Curry #23 in APG
Tony Parker #29 in APG
Goran Dragic #30 in APG
Joe Johnson #46 in APG

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think anyone is questioning their assist rate.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Any interest, Jerry?
Pretty sure Jerry wouldn't want to be helping Sarver at this point.
Pretty sure Jerry wouldn't give two shits about any personal grudges with Sarver. He is an advisor to the Sixers, and if he believes a deal would be in the Sixers' best interests, that would be his advice.
I think he would be more likely to rake him over the coals, if he could. He's plays the Chicago way.
Nah. I am with Cap on this. Jerry will advise what is best for Philly, period. The only way you get a good deal with Philly right now is to make it mutually beneficial.
I think Jerry still has a soft spot for the Suns in spite of Sarver.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote: Pretty sure Jerry wouldn't want to be helping Sarver at this point.
Pretty sure Jerry wouldn't give two shits about any personal grudges with Sarver. He is an advisor to the Sixers, and if he believes a deal would be in the Sixers' best interests, that would be his advice.
I think he would be more likely to rake him over the coals, if he could. He's plays the Chicago way.
Nah. I am with Cap on this. Jerry will advise what is best for Philly, period. The only way you get a good deal with Philly right now is to make it mutually beneficial.
I think Jerry still has a soft spot for the Suns in spite of Sarver.
I guess we all have different opinions. I agree he would do what is best for Philly, but if that also includes sticking it to Sarver, I think he would be all over it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:I don't think anyone is questioning their assist rate.
I see questioning of their PG skills. I see people calling them ball hogs. What other stat shows the ability to share the ball and make plays more than assists? I agree they aren't Nash. Nash wasn't a great defender either and dominated the ball on offense. When he went out of the game the Suns offense stopped cold most of the time. A two combo guard option doesn't allow defenses to just shut down one guy.

I am not blindly defending them. I am just saying give it a chance.

I don't know if they can ever make the pick and roll part of the offense again. They obviously need work on it. It's not just Bledsoe and Knight. Players need to know how to get open and be in a position to catch the ball. And they have to catch the ball and finish. Len needs to work on that as well. Like EJ always says. Len needs to keep the ball above his head instead of putting it down where little guys can steal it.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Nodack wrote:
I don't know if they can ever make the pick and roll part of the offense again. They obviously need work on it. It's not just Bledsoe and Knight. Players need to know how to get open and be in a position to catch the ball. And they have to catch the ball and finish. Len needs to work on that as well. Like EJ always says. Len needs to keep the ball above his head instead of putting it down where little guys can steal it.
I totally agree with this. Len made a very good aggressive move from baseline to the basket in the Chicago game, only to get the ball stripped by Rose for a fast break to the other end. He looked great up until the point he lost the ball.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Nodack wrote:I see questioning of their PG skills. I see people calling them ball hogs. What other stat shows the ability to share the ball and make plays more than assists?
Turnovers.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Nodack wrote:I see questioning of their PG skills. I see people calling them ball hogs. What other stat shows the ability to share the ball and make plays more than assists?
Turnovers.
Hey, turnovers mean that they're actually trying. I just wish one of them could run a pick and roll properly.

Booker already seems to have this ability. Is he a combo guard (i.e. a 2-guard with legit distribution skills) in disguise? If you could run him next to an undersized 2 (i.e. Bledsoe), he will have incalculable value in a league full of undersized gunners.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

virtual9mm wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Turnovers.
Hey, turnovers mean that they're actually trying. I just wish one of them could run a pick and roll properly.

Booker already seems to have this ability. Is he a combo guard (i.e. a 2-guard with legit distribution skills) in disguise? If you could run him next to an undersized 2 (i.e. Bledsoe), he will have incalculable value in a league full of undersized gunners.
This is so true. A 6-6 legit combo guard who can run the pick and roll, can distribute well, and can shoot at a high percentage would be absolute gold. If his defense was even just above average, that would be just gold.

According to ESPN based upon Hollinger's PER, Bledsoe is the #7 pg (behind Curry, Westbrook, Lowry, Thomas, Paul, and Lillard) and Knight is #12. Which is pretty amazing since they share pg duty.

Both are listed as pg's. If either one of them was listed as a SG, Bledsoe would be #3 behind only Harden and Wade, and Knight would be #5 (adding Butler and Ginobili to the list).

So, what does that tell us:

1. Both Bledsoe and Knight are on very good contract deals. Those ranking usually get a near max or max deal.
2. Either one of them could net a star level player in trade to balance out this roster, especially if we see Booker as our future starter at the 2 guard position.
3. I would bet that if we are actually in trade negotiations with Houston, they are desperately trying to find a way to pry one of these two away from us in the deal. They need a pg desperately.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3. I would bet that if we are actually in trade negotiations with Houston, they are desperately trying to find a way to pry one of these two away from us in the deal. They need a pg desperately.
You really think so? I don't see them wanting to give up much to bring in a PG that won't touch the ball. Neither are good spot up shooters, so it just doesn't seem like a good fit. And neither are good passers in the paint, so that does't help either.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

JCSunsfan wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Turnovers.

This is so true. A 6-6 legit combo guard who can run the pick and roll, can distribute well, and can shoot at a high percentage would be absolute gold. If his defense was even just above average, that would be just gold.
And I think that is exactly Booker's future if he maintains a good attitude. Indeed, if Archie can ever learn how to play smart, a Booker/Archie backcourt would definitely have some synergies.
Indy wrote:
You really think so? I don't see them wanting to give up much to bring in a PG that won't touch the ball. Neither are good spot up shooters, so it just doesn't seem like a good fit. And neither are good passers in the paint, so that does't help either.
I could see Knight doing all right in Houston, he's more of an SG than a PG anyway. He and Harden will just have to fight to see who shoots first.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Houston's got nothing we want. Y'all should calm down about trading our guards.

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:Houston's got nothing we want. Y'all should calm down about trading our guards.
three-way, baby!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Adding up value to match Knight (would never send them Bledsoe) would not be easy for the Rockets, but as a general principle I'd take McDaniels to replace Tucker and Motiejunas to replace Kieff. Harrell is a nice sweetener.

Wish the Jazz listened to a Knight-Hayward swap, but not happening. Maybe if you added Len/Warren and took some change back...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They adore Hayward there. The Utah Jazz are never going to give up their best player, who happens to be a hunky-looking white guy nerd type, for our spare parts.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Why would you say they are not good spot up shooters? Both are shooting 39% from the 3 which is very good.

Indy

If it were up to you, would you keep Knight or Bledsoe...

Post by Indy »

Watch them shoot. They are more rhythm shooters. There are probably advanced stats that show their % with spot up versus dribbles.
Last edited by Indy on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.