Around the League: Week 7 12/7-12/13

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Around the League: Week 7 12/7-12/13

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:Looks like the Bucks might be the team to end the streak. Who woulda thunk?

Warriors are unable to stop the Bucks from scoring.
I should have bet money on it. 7th game of a 7 game road trip that is also the 2nd night of a back-to-back? Odds are good it was going to be a rough one.
And it only took a triple double by the Freak, another great game by Monroe, plus season best games from Mayo, Parker and MCW.

Edit: the Freak did not get a triple double as two of his assists were wrongly credited (they were MCW's).
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Ring_Wanted wrote:hahaha Raymon Felton recorded a triple double against the Wizards last night @10-11-11. Mathews scored 28, but Dallas lost.

John Wall, despite criticism, is enjoying a career season scoring over 20ppg with good %s. Otto Porter is emerging as a nice tweener SF/stretch PF. Gortat is his usual solid self, but the Wizards have very little else.

Just like the Suns, they are slowly but steadly losing pace for the playoffs. Humphries+Oubre make almost 7M combined next season. Plenty of expiring/non guaranteed crap, including Nene's 13M. They should be interested in win now moves that don't compromise their ability to sign Durant+ next summer.
I have this little pet theory that their recent struggles are on their coach, and not the players. Due to some moderate success running small ball with Porter at the 4 last year in the playoffs, they decide they want to up the pace, and it feels like the players really aren't ready for it. They increased the pace, but the efficiency hasn't gotten any better; on the other side of the court, with Gortat being the lone big and without strong rebounders from the other four positions, they suffered an overall decrease in defensive efficiency as well. Of course Beal's injuries and Wall's earlier shooting slump made things worse.

If there's a move to be made there, for PJ as the stretch four that helps with defense and rebounding maybe, then I'd love to explore something. Of course we are looking to unload Markieff so I'm up for anything involving him as well.
Last edited by pickle on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pickle

Post by pickle »

In other news, Brandan Wright has played about 5 games and then been injured since, without a clear return date. I wonder if the Suns training staff really is as amazing as their reputation suggests.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Washington's struggles also have to do with the fact that a number of East teams have caught up with them as a middle of the road franchise. Playing Detroit, Orlando, Charlotte, Indiana and NY is not an authomatic win this year, whereas the Wizards have not made moves to improve themselves. They lost Pierce, Seraphin, Rasual Butler and added just Dudley and Gary Neal.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL check out this inbounds "play" from Westbrook, off the defender's back to make a buzzer-beating shot.

https://streamable.com/1ay0

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Mori Chu wrote:LOL check out this inbounds "play" from Westbrook, off the defender's back to make a buzzer-beating shot.

https://streamable.com/1ay0
Amazing play but . . .

No way it hits, bounces, he grabs and shoots in .7 seconds. You cannot do two touches in under a second.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, the guy managing the clock was very generous to him on that one. For all the reviewing the league does of end-of-game plays, they ought to rewatch a play like that to make sure the basket should count.

SDC

Post by SDC »

dragic lost a tooth tonight thanks to horford elbow

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=dragic+tooth

TOO

Post by TOO »

Lost his game too.. Poor fella.

SDC

Post by SDC »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Lost his game too.. Poor fella.
dont feel sorry for the 85 million dollar man.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really wish we had found a way to keep Dragic, but if you knew he would command $85m (essentially the max) as his next salary, would you have still wanted to keep him over Bledsoe?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Based on this years play? Absolutely not. Hell last year is questionable too. Bledsoe still has growth potential, Dragic is maxed, nowhere to go but down imo.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

BTW, this Rondo anti-gay stuff is kind of embarrassing for the Kings and Rondo. He called referee Bill Kennedy a "f*****" during a game. Kennedy is actually gay, though he hadn't come out in any public way. He has now come out publicly as a result of Rondo's slur. The league had to suspend Rondo for the incident, and he issued a non-apology apology on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/RajonRondo/status/676522937336381440

https://twitter.com/RajonRondo/status/676522970731446276

Here's the ESPN story about the slur and backlash:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14367 ... using-slur

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I haven't read many articles on this incident, just been seeing the headlines and tweets. But did Rondo know, or was it kind of common knowledge, that he was gay? It still wouldn't justify or defend Rondo, but it would change the narrative a bit. Just curious.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I really wish we had found a way to keep Dragic, but if you knew he would command $85m (essentially the max) as his next salary, would you have still wanted to keep him over Bledsoe?
Honestly, and I'm biased because he's turned into one of my favorite players, but I think IT3 might have been the keeper. He's more of a basketball player than Bleds and Knight IMO even though he may not have the physical attributes. He's just a fun, tough player who can score with the best of them.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:I haven't read many articles on this incident, just been seeing the headlines and tweets. But did Rondo know, or was it kind of common knowledge, that he was gay? It still wouldn't justify or defend Rondo, but it would change the narrative a bit. Just curious.
Why would the narrative change?

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:I haven't read many articles on this incident, just been seeing the headlines and tweets. But did Rondo know, or was it kind of common knowledge, that he was gay? It still wouldn't justify or defend Rondo, but it would change the narrative a bit. Just curious.
So, Bob Voulgaris says that he once heard Doc Rivers curse at Bill Kennedy and call him the same epithet. He basically claims he made a lot of money betting against the Celtics/Clippers every time Bill Kennedy was the referee for the game. My thinking is that it was one of those open secrets around the league.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If Rondo knew he was gay and threw that term out there at him, it's much more personal and hateful than him simply flying off and yelling out a bunch of derogatory names, which I think would lend itself more to ignorance and general stupidity. I think the intent would be seen differently. Still not justified or acceptable in any way obviously.

carey

Post by carey »

carey wrote:
So, Bob Voulgaris says that he once heard Doc Rivers curse at Bill Kennedy and call him the same epithet. He basically claims he made a lot of money betting against the Celtics/Clippers every time Bill Kennedy was the referee for the game. My thinking is that it was one of those open secrets around the league.
Bob said he heard what he heard, but then there's this...

https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/676766943651758080

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Maybe he said "maggot".