Game Day: Magic (12-9) @ Suns (9-13), Wed 12/9/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Game Day: Magic (12-9) @ Suns (9-13), Wed 12/9/15

Post by Nodack »

Nice win.(Like any win is bad) Len really coming on. That's great to see. Leuer and Mirza have impressed me. I didn't know who they were to start the season. I was kind of criticizing their defense earlier. Leuer plays a bit more defense and is much more creative than Mirza but, Mirza can definitely shoot threes.

Still want a bruiser to plug in when teams are torching us inside. Len was definitely a force inside tonight. We need that every night. Any news on Chandlers return? I wonder how that will effect Lens future performance.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:Len having a career game. Cut him some slack.
Career high in both points and rebounds. Monster game for him.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:Payton pulls a Knight!
Ha! I was thinking the same thing.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Skiles looks ooooold.
He looked angry.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

[youtube][/youtube]
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

pickle

Post by pickle »

I like the win. As we continue to play these close games, it's a great feeling to finally gut one or two out. If all the experience we collect are losing experiences then that's definitely not doing our young players much good.

Love EJ's commentary. He's very honest and reasonably tough on the players. Wish some of those players would listen. He pointed out that Len should not be bringing the ball down, that Bledsoe should not be jumping before he passes, and that Booker needs to keep the ball in his hands in the last moment rather than toss it around like a hot potato.

Bledsoe continues to barrel through the lane, and without being overly repetitive, I just want to say he really should look to lob things up at the rim with Len hanging out down there. He had one lob but I saw at least one other opportunity to do so. Learn to trust your teammates. Also I feel like at least half of his turnovers are mental lapses. Tighten up that dribble and listen to EJ, and his turnovers could really come down significantly.

Knight has quick hands. He had about 5 steals and probably one or two that should have been credited to him, so ... well, he makes for a good fantasy point guard. But again, referring back to my comments from the Memphis game, please build some core strength and balance, and also keep up the mental concentration, that'll help with cutting down on turnovers on the offensive end. He's not a net positive on defense, though maybe not for lack of trying. He could watch some tape on as well as pick the brains of some of the better defenders in the game. Another thing I've noticed is that he really isn't much of a catch and shoot guy. Everything he takes is off the dribble, so maybe add a catch and shoot game a bit.

I've enjoyed watching Booker match up against similarly styled players over the last couple of games in McDermott and Fournier/Hezonja. He plays hard. He's also displayed great passing vision, so I feel that much better about him becoming a useful play-making two guard. I hesitate to use the term combo guard because I generally think less of players with such a label.

Len was great. He has really been effective in post up defense and for this game he was aggressive going to the basket. The tip in at the end of the first half was pure gold. As EJ rightfully pointed out, he tries to play around his defenders too much. He needs to rise up above them and create contact. Don't do those double clutch reverse layups. Draw a foul. There was also one pass from Price where he was at the baseline wide open from about 15 feet, and I could hear someone yelling shoot it. He has a nice mid range feel, he needs to trust in it more.

Teletovic is a bomber without a conscience. He also tries hard on defense but he is limited physically. I like the signing very much and think that he's a great change of pace four off the bench.

Leuer is quite impressive facing up from around 18 feet. Reminds me a little bit of Austin Croshere the one playoff run where he auditioned for that big contract. His outside shot is a bit slower than Teletovic but still effective. Effort is also outstanding.

PJ was very good tonight. TJ's minutes felt limited, not sure if it was match ups or just him being less effective than the other players on the court, but he did have a couple of good plays. I'm glad the rotation is generally shorter these days.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Nice, thorough recap, Pick. Thanks!
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Those Len highlights got me all hot and bothered. I loved the play where he had to haul down a couple of manly offensive rebounds to get the put-back. I also liked how he rolled to the basket on several occasions, and the way the guards actually passed it to him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Pickle wrote: Another thing I've noticed is that he really isn't much of a catch and shoot guy.
I felt that way too. Then I looked up the stats. He is much better as a catch and shoot guy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:Those Len highlights got me all hot and bothered. I loved the play where he had to haul down a couple of manly offensive rebounds to get the put-back. I also liked how he rolled to the basket on several occasions, and the way the guards actually passed it to him.
And he didn't drop it...

To be fair, about half of his drops are because of bad passing. Sure, he doesn't have the hands of Amare, but nobody on this team can pass as well as Nash. And that bounce pass from PJ early on I think hit him below the knees. Not smart to pass the ball to a 7-footer in the lane at his knees.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

carey wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
LOVE the video description.
With Tyson Chandler silently being really disappointing this season for the Suns and now getting injured because he skipped leg day, someone needed to step up and fill the gaping defensive hole left in his wake.

We all know which guy it was who stepped up: Jon Leuer!

Jon Leuer has been excellent, thrust into the starter's role after barely playing for several years in the league. I would go so far as to say that... what? Don't interrupt. I'm talking here.

What do you mean I have the wrong guy? Leuer is a starter! He's big! What did you say? I'm sorry, I didn't catch it. Again, please. Alex... what? Lin? That guy is on the Hornets, I'm pretty sure. Speak up. You're mumbling again. Len? Like singular of lens? Are you sure? Never heard of the guy. Ukrainian, you say? Why don't you just shut up, you're trying to make me look stupid again, aren't you? Listen, I'm the expert here, and I say that Jon Leuer has replaced Tyson Chandler admirably. Don't try to show me up again, or there will be consequences.

"Alex Len". Pffft.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Pickle wrote: Another thing I've noticed is that he really isn't much of a catch and shoot guy.
I felt that way too. Then I looked up the stats. He is much better as a catch and shoot guy.
I understand. There are statistics that say that on average players shoot something like 10% better on catch and shoots than off the dribble, and I imagine that's also true of Knight. I just don't think he works on getting open for a catch and shoot as much, and that's what I was commenting on. Maybe the stats can tell the truth there, but whenever I've noticed a shot it feels like he's launching it after a couple of dribbles. I would be ecstatic if he could take a page from the Kyle Korver/JJ Redick/Rip Hamilton book, but so far he hasn't really shown a propensity for that type of game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think the numbers showed about 27% of his shots are catch and shoots. I think 53 were pull ups (where you dribble a few times first). I'm on my phone now so I am not looking it up. Going from my awful memory.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Thanks. I need to look more carefully. Ruling out those end of shot clock, catch and fling types, I honestly can't remember any significant catch and shoot situations with Knight.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:Thanks. I need to look more carefully. Ruling out those end of shot clock, catch and fling types, I honestly can't remember any significant catch and shoot situations with Knight.
The ones that stick out to me are those swing the ball around the 3pt line ones.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Also, many times a broken offensive play (rebound, almost TO saved by a different teammate, etc) produces a soft pass to Knight, who is camping in the three point line. He doesn't miss those gimmes often. Seen this with Booker too, and he is very reliable as well.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Also, many times a broken offensive play (rebound, almost TO saved by a different teammate, etc) produces a soft pass to Knight, who is camping in the three point line. He doesn't miss those gimmes often. Seen this with Booker too, and he is very reliable as well.
Yeah, that too.