Around the League: Week 12 1/11-1/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/11-1/17

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:Brian Windhorst had reported earlier this season that he isn't the kind of player that fits in with the team.
What kind of player is that? And what kind of player is he?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

He didn't elaborate, from what I recall.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Judging from his attitude on the court, he's probably a pill who's let success go to his head.

In other news, Portland is getting blown out in Philly:

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400828493

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

And GS with Curry is getting blown out in Detroit:

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400828492

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Guess what - San Antonio is only 2 games behind Golden State.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/688578065602097153

Guess Noah can be disgruntled all he wants now. He's out 4-6 months.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Chandler to Chicago trade? Throw in Kieff?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Not sure anyone is gonna want Chandler tbh.

carey

Post by carey »

So Chandler & Keef for Noah & Gibson works. Noah is expiring. Gibson has one more season. I'd make them give me Portis and they can have Archie.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

carey wrote:So Chandler & Keef for Noah & Gibson works. Noah is expiring. Gibson has one more season. I'd make them give me Portis and they can have Archie.
I like Portis a lot and I think he's shown enough already that Chicago wouldn't give him up that easily. They'd probably ask for Len at least in that scenario.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Funny thing about Whiteside that I read was that Miami has a better defensive and net rating without him on the floor.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Gladiator wrote:
carey wrote:So Chandler & Keef for Noah & Gibson works. Noah is expiring. Gibson has one more season. I'd make them give me Portis and they can have Archie.
I like Portis a lot and I think he's shown enough already that Chicago wouldn't give him up that easily. They'd probably ask for Len at least in that scenario.
Yeah, I don't think they'll contemplate moving Portis at this point. I sure as hell wouldn't. But I do think we could get a pick out of them in that scenario.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Do you guys think Joakim Noah has passed his prime? Does he still have what it takes to be a great player? Would you acquire him if you could? I still think he has a lot to offer, but those Bulls guys age like 3-4 years for every season Thibs rode them.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Earl Clark is trying to get back to the NBA via the D-League. Always thought he'd make it in the league, but he didn't seem to work on his shooting and his game enough.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /78905752/

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Mori Chu wrote:Do you guys think Joakim Noah has passed his prime? Does he still have what it takes to be a great player? Would you acquire him if you could? I still think he has a lot to offer, but those Bulls guys age like 3-4 years for every season Thibs rode them.
I think he is past his prime, but I would trade Chandler for him for sure. It would probably be a favor for Chandler and would help the team further sink in the standings. Noah's value will be the lowest it's been in years after this season, so the Suns could probably sign him to a somewhat cheaper deal.

pickle

Post by pickle »

The Bobster wrote:I subscribe to the theory that once you have a player and have seen him play it doesn't matter where you drafted him. For instance, the team might see Goodwin as a first-rounder because that's where he was picked, but no other team is going to evaluate him that way.

It's like selling a car and saying "Yeah, I know it leaks oil and needs breaks, but I paid $25,000 fir it new five years ago." Nobody really gives a crap what you spent for it when you're trying to sell it, they're only interest in what it's worth to them.
In fact, me too. I guess I was just making a point to explain another point which was kind of lost in this whole first rounder explanation.
  • Original point was that, I like Thad Young.
  • Follow up point was that, since we have a lot of youth and none of them are getting enough minutes as it is, I'm willing to send out one or two of them to upgrade the talent in a position of relative weakness.
  • The third point was, yes, Bogdanovic was a first rounder, I'm not willing to give up on him, and I prefer to move Archie over moving a guy whom we've never seen, but then I'm not sure that Archie has any appeal on the open market.
The Archie was a first rounder explanation wasn't that I want to hang onto him and exact another first rounder in return, just preemptively explaining that I do realize that Archie, too, is a young player who was drafted recently in the first round.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Hermen wrote:Funny thing about Whiteside that I read was that Miami has a better defensive and net rating without him on the floor.
I read something similar. IIRC, the crux of the story was that while Whiteside protected the rim with the best of them, he could not and would not chase small ball four or fives out to the perimeter, and on offense he really had no back to the basket game that could punish the smaller defenders. I think Washington ran a unit with Dudley at the 5 that really crushed them for about a quarter (to make up a big deficit) so there were some serious rumblings about fit.

pickle

Post by pickle »

There is no way Chicago would move Portis. I'm pretty sure they see him the way we see Booker. Chandler is serviceable, but it's not like Chicago is short on big men. They probably won't be making panic moves and won't be sending anybody first rounders to make up for Noah's injury, since they still have Gasol, Gibson, Mirotic, and Portis, who everyone thought was ready to shine but just didn't get the minutes. And those guys still already create a glut in the 4/5 positions.

I do like Chandler, but I don't think he has tremendous value around the league right now, especially with that contract. Maybe we can swap him for Mozgov if the latter continues to play poorly, but other than that, I can't think of many situations where they'd just take him and his 13 mil per year on.

I do like what Noah could bring to the team, especially given our lead guards' well documented inability to create. But I would only take him on if we move Chandler, and I agree with Lewy that his value is at an all time low.
Last edited by pickle on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I would definitely try to move Chandler to Chicago for Noah's expiring deal. They can keep Bobby Portis.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

What is going on with Danny Green?

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/danny-green