Around the League: Week 16 2/8-2/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 16 2/8-2/14

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:Would he be that stupid?
Rhetorical question?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

EDC

Post by EDC »

ShelC wrote:Yea but 2 months of sucking and getting out from Kieff and Chandler's deals? And I'm a fan of chandler, but if we can get a re-do on that front I'd take it. Again, nothing long term for Dwight, let him get his touches and play every other game like normal and then wave him goodbye on July 1st.
If we can't get a pick or young guy for Kieff I wouldn't be all that upset if we went this route. Using Kieff to ditch Chandler sucks because I think he has value but if there aren't any better offers this wouldn't bother me.

Problem is Houston probably wants more because they are going to try and sell him as more than a rental. He would only be a rental to us though so all the other teams that might see him as more would have to pass before Houston would consider that offer. Kieff/Chandler just aren't all that attractive.

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
EDC wrote:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/697862929505525760

This scares me. The last thing we need is an all star on the market. Sarver might delude himself into thinking Howard could be our savior.
Agreed, no quick fixes for this disaster area.
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradecheck ... de/6666338

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:Would he be that stupid?
Rhetorical question?
it's not as stupid if you want to a) get rid of morris b)expedite the rebuilding process.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradecheck ... de/6666338

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Getting rid of Morris is a given. I don't think Howard turns this team and its nucleus (including our pick this year) into a contender the next couple of years. This sort of move seems right up McD and Sarver's alley though, so I wouldn't be surprised.

SDC

Post by SDC »

iLLmatic wrote:Getting rid of Morris is a given. I don't think Howard turns this team and its nucleus (including our pick this year) into a contender the next couple of years. This sort of move seems right up McD and Sarver's alley though, so I wouldn't be surprised.
but howard has a much shorter contract than chandler.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

True, but I think Howard and his agent wants to retain his Bird rights and if he signs with another team next year via free agency he will lose them.

carey

Post by carey »

iLLmatic wrote:True, but I think Howard and his agent wants to retain his Bird rights and if he signs with another team next year via free agency he will lose them.
Bird rights are really only important so a team can go over the cap to sign someone. Plus the extra year. No team is going to max out Howard with his knee in the shape it is in so it's kind of a moot point. Not even the Snus vaunted TSM can fix it if it really is on the verge of microfracture.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I know, but that's what I heard from a Rocket's insider at another message board. Only thing I can figure is that he wants a 5 year deal.

carey

Post by carey »

iLLmatic wrote:I know, but that's what I heard from a Rocket's insider at another message board. Only thing I can figure is that he wants a 5 year deal.

Of course he does. You want as many years as you can get on the other side of 30 when you're banged up.

Speaking of banged up, MKG re-tore his labrum. Same shoulder as before. Poor guy: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14761 ... orn-labrum
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would absolutely trade for Dwight Howard.

And then not re-sign him. Free cap space.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:I would absolutely trade for Dwight Howard.

Doesn't it take more than just Keef and Tyson? I wouldn't give up any other assets. I think we can actually get value for Mirza and PJ. And no way do you throw in a pick (even a 2nd rounder).

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:Free cap space.
For all those superstar free agents who really want to come here, if only we can come up with the money.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Free cap space.
For all those superstar free agents who really want to come here, if only we can come up with the money.
I think it is less about that, and more about:

1) Making the team more profitable to an outside investor (wishful thinking)
2) Allow us to facilitate more trades (although it looks like we can do that well enough now)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You at least gotta be in it to win it. Can't get a conversation with a max level guy if you ain't got the dough.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:

Doesn't it take more than just Keef and Tyson? I wouldn't give up any other assets. I think we can actually get value for Mirza and PJ. And no way do you throw in a pick (even a 2nd rounder).
I would absolutely give up a second-rounder in such a trade. Maybe even a crappy first-rounder, but it would have to be some pick that is way late in that round, like one that we inherit from Cleveland or some other good team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Indy wrote:

I would absolutely give up a second-rounder in such a trade. Maybe even a crappy first-rounder, but it would have to be some pick that is way late in that round, like one that we inherit from Cleveland or some other good team.
Just to get out of the Tyson contract?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think so, to get out of Tyson and Kieff. That's a ton of cap space and flexibility. I also don't really value the #28-30 pick in the draft very much. Late first-rounders are kind of dead weight to me; the players rarely work out and just take up roster space. And we will already have a lot of young players who want playing time. I'd of course much prefer to give them only the players, or only the players plus a second-rounder.

Indy

Post by Indy »

We are getting out of Keef, either way. So really you are talking about giving up Tyson and a pick for cap relief. Cap relief we really don't need. The cap next year is projected at 89M and we are in the mid-60s. Also, we have extra roster space right now, even with the injuries. I would rather use a late first rounder than just keep doing 10-day contracts from the d-league.

carey

Post by carey »

Cap space doesn't have value like it once did. It may again in a couple of seasons, but the only reason to get out of a contract now is because you don't want the player, not that you want the space. Every team is going to have space this Summer minus a few super luxury tax teams. The rest will be competing over a small pool of FAs. It's not quite meaningless, but it just isn't what it once was. I predict the whole "use the cap space as a 3rd team to facilitate a deal while picking up an asset" thing is going to go away for a while as well.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!