Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:16 am
In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:09 am
INFORMER wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:47 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:00 am
Honestly, I probably said this before, but I wouldn't be upset with a Rubio & Thad Young
I still don't understand why you keep pushing for Thad Young. That would be such a waste, IMO.
Because he's a good switchable defender at 4 who can set the defensive tone and sets for the team. He would be a good fit next to Ayton and can shoot, pass and rebound. He's not the best, but at least he can do these things and is a good vet on the team.
Randle is a better passer, shooter, and rebounder. I’m not anti Thad, but he isn’t a perfect fit either
You're right, he's not a perfect fit. Clarke would be the fit, imo. I'm not totally opposed to Randle either. Let's face it, this team needs talent.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Durant would probably be the perfect fit

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:41 am
Durant would probably be the perfect fit
If you can get Durant, do it
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:38 am
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Honestly, I probably said this before, but I wouldn't be upset with a Rubio & Thad Young
I still don't understand why you keep pushing for Thad Young. That would be such a waste, IMO.
Because he's a good switchable defender at 4 who can set the defensive tone and sets for the team. He would be a good fit next to Ayton and can shoot, pass and rebound. He's not the best, but at least he can do these things and is a good vet on the team.
Randle is a better passer, shooter, and rebounder. I’m not anti Thad, but he isn’t a perfect fit either
You're right, he's not a perfect fit. Clarke would be the fit, imo. I'm not totally opposed to Randle either. Let's face it, this team needs talent.
How is Clarke the fit? HE can't shoot!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:38 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

His shot is coming around. He has the touch and his form has gone from "hide the children" to "alright, I can start to see something forming". Do you remember what Amare's looked like when he was drafted? I think Clarke's is already advanced further along.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

We have had enough experience with players that. Can’t shoot. #1 priority at the 4 should be a 3 point shot. It’s mandatory next to Ayton.

And he does not have the touch. His form is ugly like Josh’s and Marion’s. Don’t want another one of those.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:56 pm
We have had enough experience with players that. Can’t shoot. #1 priority at the 4 should be a 3 point shot. It’s mandatory next to Ayton.

And he does not have the touch. His form is ugly like Josh’s and Marion’s. Don’t want another one of those.
It's not even close to #1 in a priority for a draft pick. Defense is more of a priority to help Ayton, since opposing PFs killed the Suns. And, we know that Ayton is improving his shot, so it's not AS important. Also, why put all the investment into development and shooting coaches, they didn't have before, if you can't trust them to do their jobs and improve the shooting on the team?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:29 pm
specialsauce wrote:

It's not even close to #1 in a priority for a draft pick. Defense is more of a priority to help Ayton, since opposing PFs killed the Suns. And, we know that Ayton is improving his shot, so it's not AS important. Also, why put all the investment into development and shooting coaches, they didn't have before, if you can't trust them to do their jobs and improve the shooting on the team?
You’re entitled to your own opinion, but IMO you’re wrong :D

Look at the teams in the finals. At any time, they have 4 players capable of stretching the floor at a time. Ayton will only be a great player as a dominant big man in the paint. Relying on him to stay outside because the role player 4 can’t stretch completely takes away his strength and our advantage. That’s just poor team construction and utilization of assets.

You have to play around your stars, not mold your stars to play around your role players.

Our 4 first of all must have range. Second is defense. Everything else is gravy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:44 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:29 pm
specialsauce wrote:

You’re entitled to your own opinion, but IMO you’re wrong :D

Look at the teams in the finals. At any time, they have 4 players capable of stretching the floor at a time. Ayton will only be a great player as a dominant big man in the paint. Relying on him to stay outside because the role player 4 can’t stretch completely takes away his strength and our advantage. That’s just poor team construction and utilization of assets.

You have to play around your stars, not mold your stars to play around your role players.
I agree with your last statement here.

You're also entitled to your opinion as well. At the same time, based on what you are saying and your attitude towards this, you probably wouldn't have wanted Pascal since he was even more of a non shooter when he came out, and was worse than Clarke is now as early as even last year.

I'm not saying that Ayton should be stuck outside because of Clarke, that's beyond silly and a misrepresentation of my feelings on this. Clarke's fit next to Ayton is perfect on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not sure of the fit you will find that has both the shot and is a defender right now, but maybe you have a suggestion. And saying Ayton will only be great inside seems shortsighted for his long term development.

You can and probably should go after a vet who can shoot at PF. That doesn't keep you from continuing to work with Clarke and Ayton, along with everyone else, on their shots too. We can all agree that the Suns aren't competing for a title next year, no?

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:

His shot is coming around. He has the touch and his form has gone from "hide the children" to "alright, I can start to see something forming". Do you remember what Amare's looked like when he was drafted? I think Clarke's is already advanced further along.
I would hope so. Amare was right out of HS. Clarke is a 22-year-old junior.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Because he's a good switchable defender at 4 who can set the defensive tone and sets for the team. He would be a good fit next to Ayton and can shoot, pass and rebound.
He is a mediocre shooter and rebounder, and his passing isn't a significant plus. He is a solid defender, but is average at best in just about every category. I don't know why we would want to tie up mid-level money ($10 mil/yr) for multiple seasons in someone who really doesn't make a difference. And I'm hoping that's all that it takes. If he is looking for a raise from his $13 million plus salary last season, then this would move him from a meh move to an awful move.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:56 pm
You can and probably should go after a vet who can shoot at PF.
Most definitely. Draft Clarke and you can still sign anyone from bargain bin to premium free agents that provide from a stretch option at the 4:

Luke Kornet
Anthony Tolliver
Mike Scott
Dewayne Dedmon
JaMychal Green
Nikola Mirotic
Bobby Portis
Tobias Harris

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
You're also entitled to your opinion as well. At the same time, based on what you are saying and your attitude towards this, you probably wouldn't have wanted Pascal since he was even more of a non shooter when he came out, and was worse than Clarke is now as early as even last year.
Saucey would have written Pascal off as a nobody, a scrub. He wouldn't have cared about the pick and probably would have campaigned to dump it.
In2ition wrote:
I'm not saying that Ayton should be stuck outside because of Clarke, that's beyond silly and a misrepresentation of my feelings on this. Clarke's fit next to Ayton is perfect on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not sure of the fit you will find that has both the shot and is a defender right now, but maybe you have a suggestion.
Good points. Plus, I have confidence in Clarke developing his perimeter shot. The improvement he made in the year he had to sit out was incredible.
In2ition wrote:
And saying Ayton will only be great inside seems shortsighted for his long term development.
I agree with Sauce. If Ayton becomes great, it will be because of his play on the interior. It's not saying he won't become a perimeter threat, it's just not the path to dominance.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:

I don't think it really matters the age.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Because he's a good switchable defender at 4 who can set the defensive tone and sets for the team. He would be a good fit next to Ayton and can shoot, pass and rebound.
He is a mediocre shooter and rebounder, and his passing isn't a significant plus. He is a solid defender, but is average at best in just about every category. I don't know why we would want to tie up mid-level money ($10 mil/yr) for multiple seasons in someone who really doesn't make a difference. And I'm hoping that's all that it takes. If he is looking for a raise from his $13 million plus salary last season, then this would move him from a meh move to an awful move.
I wouldn't want to tie up a great deal of money on him. If it's decided that Clarke would be the guy, you aren't looking for a long term answer with a vet. Maybe someone that starts the first year and backups the following. Not $13 mil worth.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:04 pm
carey wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I don't think it really matters the age.
It is all a moot point anyway. Clarke is the same size as Josh Jackson

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

No he isn't.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:13 pm
In2ition wrote:
And saying Ayton will only be great inside seems shortsighted for his long term development.
I agree with Sauce. If Ayton becomes great, it will be because of his play on the interior. It's not saying he won't become a perimeter threat, it's just not the path to dominance.
Yeah, I don't think he's going to become Dirk, just saying the outside shot shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. He's going to make his living inside and hopefully keep teams honest with his outside shot.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:13 pm
No he isn't.
Correction - Clarke has a shorter wingspan. Both explosive leapers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Lonzo is the same height as Barkley was listed at, but play completely different.

Clarke plays big and strong. Jackson gets knocked off course quite easily and shot efficiency is not a thought in Josh's head.