Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Danimal

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Danimal »

There’s an article on bright side about doing some moves to get jr Smith’s contract and then waiving it. Cavs might be looking to shed some salary this year and they have a bunch of hold overs from their last finals run who are stuck in no mans land as they try to rebuild.
Actually it got me more thinking about getting Larry nance jr
Shot 33% from 3 last year, looks to be a decent weak side help defender. Fits our timeline. Any interest?

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:
carey wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:38 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:38 am

You're right, he's not a perfect fit. Clarke would be the fit, imo. I'm not totally opposed to Randle either. Let's face it, this team needs talent.
How is Clarke the fit? HE can't shoot!
His shot is coming around. He has the touch and his form has gone from "hide the children" to "alright, I can start to see something forming". Do you remember what Amare's looked like when he was drafted? I think Clarke's is already advanced further along.
I would hope so. Amare was right out of HS. Clarke is a 22-year-old junior.
I don't think it really matters the age.
Then I don’t understand your point, sadly. Because comparing a guy without a functional jumper coming out of HS to a guy who spent 3 years in one of the best developmental programs in college basketball seems weird.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:40 pm
In2ition wrote:
carey wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:38 pm

How is Clarke the fit? HE can't shoot!
His shot is coming around. He has the touch and his form has gone from "hide the children" to "alright, I can start to see something forming". Do you remember what Amare's looked like when he was drafted? I think Clarke's is already advanced further along.
I would hope so. Amare was right out of HS. Clarke is a 22-year-old junior.
I don't think it really matters the age.
Then I don’t understand your point, sadly. Because comparing a guy without a functional jumper coming out of HS to a guy who spent 3 years in one of the best developmental programs in college basketball seems weird.
Clarke was only at Gonzaga for 2 yrs, one of those he had to sit out. The previous 2 yrs were at San Jose State.

My point was Amare had a really low release point when he came out, but it improved every year. He had to make incremental improvements to it until it became a good weapon and Clarke is further along in his improvements to his jumper.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote: My point was Amare had a really low release point when he came out, but it improved every year. He had to make incremental improvements to it until it became a good weapon and Clarke is further along in his improvements to his jumper.
Oh, so the point was just a big guy can improve his shot if he works on it just like anything else? Then I agree.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:13 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:56 pm
You're also entitled to your opinion as well. At the same time, based on what you are saying and your attitude towards this, you probably wouldn't have wanted Pascal since he was even more of a non shooter when he came out, and was worse than Clarke is now as early as even last year.

Saucey would have written Pascal off as a nobody, a scrub. He wouldn't have cared about the pick and probably would have campaigned to dump it.

In2ition wrote:
I'm not saying that Ayton should be stuck outside because of Clarke, that's beyond silly and a misrepresentation of my feelings on this. Clarke's fit next to Ayton is perfect on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not sure of the fit you will find that has both the shot and is a defender right now, but maybe you have a suggestion.
Good points. Plus, I have confidence in Clarke developing his perimeter shot. The improvement he made in the year he had to sit out was incredible.
In2ition wrote:
And saying Ayton will only be great inside seems shortsighted for his long term development.
I agree with Sauce. If Ayton becomes great, it will be because of his play on the interior. It's not saying he won't become a perimeter threat, it's just not the path to dominance.
True

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Danimal wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:35 pm
There’s an article on bright side about doing some moves to get jr Smith’s contract and then waiving it. Cavs might be looking to shed some salary this year and they have a bunch of hold overs from their last finals run who are stuck in no mans land as they try to rebuild.
Shot 33% from 3 last year, looks to be a decent weak side help defender. Fits our timeline. Any interest?
I've had similar ideas. It depends on how badly the Cavs want to dump salary.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Danimal wrote:
I like Nance; I'd give him a look. But the guy I'd really want to pry away from the Cavs is Kevin Love. I think he's been undervalued there and could be a great veteran PF presence on a young team like ours. I also think he'd benefit greatly from a change of scenery. Bad defender, but I like everything else he brings (3-point shooting, rebounding, good teammate, doesn't hog the ball, veteran leadership).

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:06 am
Danimal wrote:
I like Nance; I'd give him a look. But the guy I'd really want to pry away from the Cavs is Kevin Love. I think he's been undervalued there and could be a great veteran PF presence on a young team like ours. I also think he'd benefit greatly from a change of scenery. Bad defender, but I like everything else he brings (3-point shooting, rebounding, good teammate, doesn't hog the ball, veteran leadership).
Does “everything else he brings” include the $120M contract?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, he’s too expensive, too old, and too injury prone. Nice player, but he kills our cap space for 4 years

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cmonnnnnnn

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t hate Rubio, but if he’s our big addition, I’ll be disappointed.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agree. Put him on the same list as Thad Young. Solid short term vet.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:08 am
Ya, he’s too expensive, too old, and too injury prone. Nice player, but he kills our cap space for 4 years
Agree.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:23 pm
I’d take him on a 2 year deal if it meant we drafted a PG and spent our money on Randle

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:50 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:23 pm
I’d take him on a 2 year deal if it meant we drafted a PG and spent our money on Randle
Ya, I’d be fine with him as a stop gap and someone who’s replacing warren’s salary and not using our cap space.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:27 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:13 pm
No he isn't.
Correction - Clarke has a shorter wingspan. Both explosive leapers.
Clarke is more athletic than Josh, tougher, and stronger. I started watching Duke vs. Gonzaga the other day. Clarke was going against Zion Williamson and Marques Bolden. He had something like 9 points, 4 rebounds, and 1-2 blocks in the first 10 minutes of the game. He spent most of the season playing the 5.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

There's a reason why Rubio is not priority. His shooting woes are so debilitating to a team. I get the bar has been lowered due to the product that the Suns have put on the court the last few years, but I think a number of posters will regret it if the Suns bring in Rubio.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:24 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
No he isn't.
Clarke is more athletic than Josh, tougher, and stronger. I started watching Duke vs. Gonzaga the other day. Clarke was going against Zion Williamson and Marques Bolden. He had something like 9 points, 4 rebounds, and 1-2 blocks in the first 10 minutes of the game. He spent most of the season playing the 5.
Yeah, those guys are pretty big and strong and Clarke more than held his own.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:43 pm
INFORMER wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
No he isn't.
This is a different argument, but it might be a good one. If you are telling me a guy Josh Jackson's size or smaller could legitimately play PF given his toughness, I would be skeptical but open minded.

Still, it would be so much easier if you told me he had long arms.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:04 am
In2ition wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:43 pm
INFORMER wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
No he isn't.
This is a different argument, but it might be a good one. If you are telling me a guy Josh Jackson's size or smaller could legitimately play PF given his toughness, I would be skeptical but open minded.

Still, it would be so much easier if you told me he had long arms.
He's certainly not smaller than Jackson. He does play bigger and tougher than you would think though. His anticipation, quickness and leaping ability more than make up for his lack of length.