The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:47 pm
Gambo says Millsap, Aldridge, and Hartenstein are out of the mix for the Suns, although they do still want some size.
Well I think I’m at Stanley Johnson and Dante Exum for the last two spots if Millsap is out. I’d take Winslow as well. Or Iggy instead of Exum if he’s interested.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Exum just can’t stay healthy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

True, but that’s a risk you can take with a 3rd string guard.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think nearly every realistic option for a 3rd string guy is going to have a fatal flaw. He is still pretty young so maybe he can get right.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Gambo was teasing this earlier. Elf just sucks IMO. Surprised we're adding him, he was awful for the Knicks last year.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What are we doing? Where are the good vets taking discounts to join this up and coming program with the great practice facility?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:55 pm
What are we doing? Where are the good vets taking discounts to join this up and coming program with the great practice facility?
They don’t want to be a 3rd string pg that won’t get playing time without an injury. I don’t love Elfrid, but as a 3rd pg, he’s not terrible. I feel similarly to how I feel about Frank as our 3rd C…it’ll suck if he has to play minutes in the playoffs, but he’s occupying a position on the roster that won’t be playing in the playoffs unless we have injury issues. You aren’t going to get great players for that 3rd string group. Good players want minutes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:53 pm
Gambo was teasing this earlier. Elf just sucks IMO. Surprised we're adding him, he was awful for the Knicks last year.

He’s not great, but 63 starts for a playoff team is something. He’s going to be 3rd string for us. I don’t love it, but I don’t hate it. He can run an offense…he can’t shoot at all, but he’s a better floor general than E’Twaun Moore. He’s like a poor man’s Rubio.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't hate it either, but it's just meh. It seems like Jones is content to run it back even though our wing depth suffered a hit. Trying to be patient.
They don’t want to be a 3rd string pg that won’t get playing time without an injury.
How much time do all of those players on the Lakers, Nets and Warriors think they're about to get?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:29 pm
I don't hate it either, but it's just meh. It seems like Jones is content to run it back even though our wing depth suffered a hit. Trying to be patient.
They don’t want to be a 3rd string pg that won’t get playing time without an injury.
How much time do all of those players on the Lakers, Nets and Warriors think they're about to get?
The Suns aren't considered contenders in the same way those other teams are. The cities also play a big part as well, IMO.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Knicks were winning in spite of him. He was mentally out of it by the end of the year and they benched him in the playoffs. Maybe he needs a change of scenery and maybe our "culture" can help him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
I think the difference is those teams have rotation spots up for grabs..the suns don’t really.

Last year we had a lot of questions at backup guard…hence probably why you saw Galloway and Moore sign on…they had a chance to win a rotation spot. This year Payne is established as the 3rd guard and Shamet is probably taking any other minutes…

Wing/big is a little different…we do have potential rotation minutes up for grab there…we’ll see what happens the rest of free agency

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:10 pm
Shabazz wrote:
I think the difference is those teams have rotation spots up for grabs..the suns don’t really.

Last year we had a lot of questions at backup guard…hence probably why you saw Galloway and Moore sign on…they had a chance to win a rotation spot. This year Payne is established as the 3rd guard and Shamet is probably taking any other minutes…

Wing/big is a little different…we do have potential rotation minutes up for grab there…we’ll see what happens the rest of free agency
That is a factor, but also is living in NYC, the Bay, or LA. We are not the favorite to make the finals. We are probably 5th (I haven't checked the betting markets, though) behind those 3 and Bucks. Maybe even 6th when Kawhi re-signs. If the money is all the same, and it is only vet mins, I get it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:10 pm
Shabazz wrote:

There may be some minutes available if CP/Book get some nights off. Monty doesn't seem to be a fan of it, but I'd think with the extended playoff run, CP's wrist surgery and Book's Olympic appearance, we'll be resting those guys some early in the season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Im Ok with Elfrid coming back since he cut his hair.
Exum would be better but Elfrid has been here before so knows at least Booker, Mikal and Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wonder if this is saying something about the incoming extensions for Ayton and Bridges

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:30 pm

I wonder if this is saying something about the incoming extensions for Ayton and Bridges
could also just be gumbo doubling down without anything to back it up.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

The Payton signing provides good back up pg insurance and demonstrates a deeper commitment to CP15’s minutes and growth. I expect him yet turn yet another corner off the bench spelling both Book and CP3. Last year Moore and Galloway were 2 proven vets who deserve roles on NBA teams. If something goes wrong or we need some run, at least they’ll always have a playmaker on the floor in lieu of undersized shooters who barely can run the point.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:30 pm

could also just be gumbo doubling down without anything to back it up.
Yes, could be. Gambo clearly isn’t as connected as maybe he once was with the suns, but he occasionally has nuggets of info.