Around the League: July 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Around the League: July 2014

Post by INFORMER »

LeBron James wants James Jones on his team. That's about all I need to know about LeBron James the General Manager.

And think of it this way: who plays the Wolves and says, "man, how are we going to stop Kevin Love?" Sure you always have to locate him, but teams get away with putting small guys on him. Shoot, Channing Frye has caused him problems in the past. Come the fourth quarter, Kevin Love usually just heaving long jumpers.

But it's going to be brutal having to stop Wiggins and LeBron. What team in the league has the wings to contend with that pair. What is Indiana going to do? If they want to save Paul George, they'll have to put him on Wiggins. That's not catching much of a break. How is Bradley Beal going to defend Wiggins? What is Chicago going to be able to do? Doug McDermott is going to have to defend either Wiggins or LeBron. Have fun with that.

And who's going to be able to top the transition duo of Wiggins and LeBron?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Love puts up great numbers but Love never takes over a game. That's not the kind of player he is.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You're preaching to the choir, INF. Conversely, you can pretty much shut down almost any perimeter duo in the league with LeBron and Wiggins. Whereas you will really suffer on D with only LeBron playing with Irving and Love.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think you guys are underrating Kevin Love, who himself is only 25.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Love is fantastic and would be great on the Cavs, but it wouldn't be very good if you give up Wiggins, unless they also trade out Irving for another two way player on the perimeter, IMO.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

What LeBron needs to realize is that he is in the same situation that Nash was in when he returned to Phoenix. The only difference is that LeBron is a superior player which bodes well for LeBron. Just as Nash took the young core of Amare-Marion-JJ from sub-.500 to a 60-win team, so can LeBron. Except he has even better talent to work with. Trust the talent. Don't just go for names or what you're most comfortable or familiar with.

San Antonio had a similar decision to make. They were presented the opportunity to move the inexperienced and unproven Tony Parker for Jason Kidd. But in the end, they didn't. How did that work out for San Antonio?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:I think you guys are underrating Kevin Love, who himself is only 25.
I'm not. I'd take him on the Suns any day. I'd pay him $20 million a year. I just wouldn't ever trade Andrew Wiggins for him. I think this is less of an issue of underrating Love, but more of an issue of underrating Wiggins.

You'll appreciate this: I would trade Andrew Wiggins for Anthony Davis*. But not Kevin Love.

*Anthony Davis does come with some legitimate durability concerns. It will interesting going forward if he'll ever be able to stay on the court.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Once again, I agree with the Wiggins for Davis trade.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think we can all agree that the Wolves are moronic if Wiggins is on the table and they take the Warriors offer.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:I think you guys are underrating Kevin Love, who himself is only 25.
I'm not. I'd take him on the Suns any day. I'd pay him $20 million a year. I just wouldn't ever trade Andrew Wiggins for him. I think this is less of an issue of underrating Love, but more of an issue of underrating Wiggins.

You'll appreciate this: I would trade Andrew Wiggins for Anthony Davis*. But not Kevin Love.

*Anthony Davis does come with some legitimate durability concerns. It will interesting going forward if he'll ever be able to stay on the court.
I think the only players New Orleans would trade Davis for are LeBron and Durant. Even then I'm not sure.

(I did a victory dance before replying. "The next Yinka Dare." Pshaw.)

SDC

Post by SDC »

China basketball in decline. India on the rise
http://hoopistani.blogspot.com/2014/07/ ... ld-on.html

Taiwan has beaten china again
http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aeas/201407180033.aspx

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:China basketball in decline. India on the rise
http://hoopistani.blogspot.com/2014/07/ ... ld-on.html

Taiwan has beaten china again
http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aeas/201407180033.aspx
Those are great links. Thanks for sharing.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:What LeBron needs to realize is that he is in the same situation that Nash was in when he returned to Phoenix. The only difference is that LeBron is a superior player which bodes well for LeBron. Just as Nash took the young core of Amare-Marion-JJ from sub-.500 to a 60-win team, so can LeBron. Except he has even better talent to work with. Trust the talent. Don't just go for names or what you're most comfortable or familiar with.

San Antonio had a similar decision to make. They were presented the opportunity to move the inexperienced and unproven Tony Parker for Jason Kidd. But in the end, they didn't. How did that work out for San Antonio?
This is a great take, especially the bolded part.

I think the SA analogy is a little far fetched, though. It's not as if they knew Parker would develop to the player he is now. If anything, they took a risk based on confidence in themselves (coach/GM/front office) and it happened to work out well for them. Cleveland hasn't displayed any evidence of being nearly as savvy as SA in that regard.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Kidd said no to the Spurs, or at least that's how I remember it. They were ready to acquire him but Kidd opted for staying in NJ.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It's not as if they knew Parker would develop to the player he is now.
That was my point in using the analogy. They didn't know for certain what Parker would be. But they did see the potential.
Kidd said no to the Spurs, or at least that's how I remember it. They were ready to acquire him but Kidd opted for staying in NJ.
I don't remember Kidd having any say in the matter. It wasn't a sign and trade or trade and extend situation. And I don't remember Kidd ever saying that he didn't want to go to San Antonio.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

INFORMER wrote:
It's not as if they knew Parker would develop to the player he is now.
That was my point in using the analogy. They didn't know for certain what Parker would be. But they did see the potential.
I don't remember Kidd having any say in the matter. It wasn't a sign and trade or trade and extend situation. And I don't remember Kidd ever saying that he didn't want to go to San Antonio.
Your off on this one INF. Kidd was an FA and had a big say in the matter. The Spurs wanted Kidd bad and they offered him the max. They say they wanted to move Parker to SG, But at the time it was all assumed had Kidd accepted their deal TP would of been dealt. He wasn;t even involved in there pitch to Kidd.

Anyway here an article on it....It proves you need luck as well to win championships. Maybe SA still wins a few with kidd but parker isn't there had Joumana Kidd just wanted to move.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ten-y ... 05541.html
Last edited by Sunsfan4life on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Oh and I definitely understand the argument about dealing Wiggins...I think he's going to be a stud.

That being said I would make the deal. Cleveland becomes the favorites to win the next 2-3 championships with this deal....Wiggins has the potential to be better then Kevin Love, but I take the Perennial all-star and my team becoming instant favorites right now to the uncertainty of the future.

So count me in the I'd deal Wiggins for Love Camp if I have the team Cleveland has....JMO.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wow, thanks for the correction. I had it completely wrong. My apologies.

As far as being instant title favorites, I think Cleveland can win it all as early as Wiggins second year. I don't think they can make a single move, including acquiring Love, that will make them the favorites to win it all next season.

I think as is they have a team that can make it to the second or third round.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Doesn't feel like Jameer Nelson should be on his way to Dallas?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Why the Warriors hesitate to include Klay Thompson in a deal for Kevin Love:
The Mark Jackson firing and Steve Kerr hiring in mid-May were undeniably driven in part by the desire to improve offensively, as owner Joe Lacob and so many others within the organization grew tired of seeing their wondrous scoring talents so often struggle in the former coach's system. But the post-Kerr question about Golden State's third-ranked defense and what's ahead on that end of the floor has been quietly answered during these seemingly endless discussions about Love.

In short, they're not willing to ditch the defense.

Their recent refusal to include guard and Timberwolves target Klay Thompson in the deal is rooted in this reality. Losing Thompson not only would leave Curry overexposed defensively in the backcourt but also is compounded by the fact that Love — much like incumbent power forward David Lee, who would head to Minnesota if this deal got done — isn't exactly known as a two-way player. From Lacob on down, this is a major part of the Warriors' internal analysis and something that belies all the initial speculation about how this Kerr era might be defined.
And interesting info on Kerr's coaching staff:
Many of those early assumptions now appear off-base. And just as the Thompson component can be seen as a sign the Warriors aren't willing to regress on the defensive end, other evidence of this unexpected development can be found on Kerr's coaching staff as well.

His hiring of assistant coach Ron Adams was one of the many impressive additions. The former Chicago Bulls and Boston Celtics assistant is widely regarded one of the best defensive minds in the game. Lacob deserves some credit here, as he made it clear to Kerr that he had a proverbial blank check to come up with a quality staff, and he proceeded by joining forces with Adams, Alvin Gentry (former head coach and now Warriors associate head coach), Luke Walton and Jarron Collins (respected former players who will help Kerr bridge the player-coach gap) as well as Bruce Fraser (former Phoenix Suns scout during Kerr's days there who was with the Clippers last season).
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /12876193/