Markieff Morris Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: Markieff Morris Watch

Post by pickle »

I don't know if Kieff will make the locker room any worse than it already is. I think there's a difference between the locker room chemistry issues from last year and that from this year. Last year it felt like it was actually toxic and needed cleaning, whereas this year it's apathetic and needs airing out. I don't know if there is actually a substantive difference between the two, but in my mind, this is not likely going to affect Booker that much.

I don't understand why we want to take on another young player in addition to a draft pick though. We have enough positional duplication issues as it is, which has only been somewhat alleviated through injury. It's as good a time as any to showcase Goodwin and Markieff because they are not playing in front of anyone else I'd rather we develop, and hopefully before next training camp we move them.

I still like Goodwin, but I do think he is more useful to us as a trade piece than an actual prospect at this point.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Not counting Kieff (and we shouln't) we are depleted at the four, so we need either a prospect in that position, or assets to fullfill it on a later move.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yes of course. But other than Booker, I would say right now all our other pieces, including Warren and Len, top out at starter/borderline all star, so I'm hoping for a real elite prospect at the four to help move us towards contender status. Earlier on during the season I was open to guys like Terrence Jones, but I'm no longer willing to entertain that scenario. I want to hold out and suffer a bit of growing pains and wait for the right piece. Don't want incremental improvements at the four...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote: including coach Watson (Porter deja vu anyone?)
Not even close. I'd like to give Watson a fair shot. I like his positive energy and his communication skills. Let's give him a chance to see what kind of strategist he can be.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trade Kieff for Ryan Anderson and be done with it.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Just take the 1stR supposedly on the table (2017 or beyond if possible). It's already more than what most people were expecting.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:Trade Kieff for Ryan Anderson and be done with it.
That was a trade that would have made sense in the first week of the season, but doesn't any more.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Shabazz wrote:
That was a trade that would have made sense in the first week of the season, but doesn't any more.
Yeah, I don't know what Ryan Anderson brings to the table at this point. He's gonna be an UFA this summer. The first rounder that's supposedly been offered sounds much nicer in comparison.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Delone,Patterson,Noguiera and The Knicks pick for Tuck and Morris. Thats the ultimate HR that may not happen, but I still think the Raps are our most likely trade partner.

Anderson for Kieff doesn't make sense. Highly unlikely we re-sign Anderson this summer and he makes us better this year. We're better of keeping Kieff or just trading him or a 2nd rd pick then do that.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Delone,Patterson,Noguiera and The Knicks pick for Tuck and Morris. Thats the ultimate HR that may not happen, but I still think the Raps are our most likely trade partner.
I think the Raptors would consider this a big overpay. Remove one prospect and change NY's pick for LAC's and it could be a deal.

Agreed on Anderson. Pointless now.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Don't see that trade happening but I would definitely take it. Sure satisfies the pick + young player rule though. Didn't the Raptors bow out of the Kieff sweepstakes already?

SDC

Post by SDC »

the reason why you want a first round pick in this case is because there's no guarantee anderson wants to sign here. but he is a good player. if he gives the suns the guarantee that he will stay, no need to ask the pelicans for a pick.

the benefit of having keef for the pelicans is that he is under a reasonable contract for a long time.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd try and engage the Wizards. They don't really have 4, Keiff would be a good fit next to Gortat and we could take back a pick, Humphries (TO next year) and try for a young guy like Porter.

Only question would be whether they want to lock into a deal with Kieff and how it might affect their alleged pursuit of Durant or some other FA PF. But Kieff on that team would be pretty formidable in the east.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Don't see them moving Porter for Kieff... Wasn't he a top 4 pick just a year ago? I still take any first rounder and run with it, as long as it's not one of those Minnesota picks that turn into two second rounders after several years of protection.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Porter might be a stretch but I think they're higher on Oubre at this point?

pickle

Post by pickle »

You are up early Shel.

I think Porter played pretty well for them last year in the playoffs and has been a good contributor this year, no? I don't think I've seen anything to suggest that Porter has played below expectations so I think it's highly unlikely that Washington will want to send him out for anything other than a Durant type haul, but I don't follow the Wizards enough to make that judgement call.

Not sure what Oubre's game is like...

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Porter would be great but I doubt they move him. I can see Dudley getting moved
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You are up early Shel.
4:22am wake up. Who's with me?!?!

Porter was overrated coming out of college. He's a role playing 3, athletic and has had some success at the 4 IINM. He came on late last year but Oubre is better IMO. With Dudley healthy, he's more of what they need at the SF spot, and they can develop Oubre just the same.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Dang. You have a job that gets you up that early? I am jet lagged and waking up at 6 am pisses me off. I prefer for multiple alarms to drag me out of bed.

It feels like Porter is solid enough to be a full time starter that can adequately hold down the 3 spot and perhaps even be effective as a stretch four in this modern version of the NBA, so even if Oubre comes on he could slide over to the four and hold down that role for at least 20 min a night... right? Just don't see them giving up on him. On the other hand they do need a four with legit size. Running Porter and Dudley at the 4 opens them up to abuse from bigger players.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nah I work out in the mornings.