Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by Split T »

GS doesn’t really have anything I want. I don’t want #2. I’d rather have the Minny 1st they have next year, but even then, that may not be all that high.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If Sarver is desperate to save they could just absorb the money with Iguodala's TE. Wouldn't put it past him, but not probable IMO.
Last edited by ShelC on Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Yeah, the only way I do that trade is if it is part of a bigger set of moves. Maybe we use the trade exception to pick up some other piece. But I don't have the creativity to build something that makes sense.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:42 pm
If Sarver is desperate to save they could just absorb the money with Iguodala's TE. Wouldn't put it past him, but not probably IMO.
I just can't see that happening before the season starts, but I wouldn't put it passed him near the deadline. "Hey, we knew we wouldn't have the cap space to resign Kelly if you want to keep Ayton and Bridges... so we had to trade him, and this TE gives us flexibility."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The TE expires once FA starts. A team needs to use it a year after the original trade, which would've been July but was extended to whenever this FA period begins, probably mid-late November.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jones and DA did a virtual town hall with season subs the other day, Olson was tweeting some quotes but nothing really mind blowing...Here's a recap from Brightside with a link to the video in the article

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020 ... ce=twitter
“If you’re a high-character player and you’re highly competitive, that’s our culture,” Jones said. “If you’re not ... you’ll walk away because you’ll realize this environment isn’t right for you.”

“If you’re not all in completely, you will be pointed out,” Ayton said. “Guys work on their game every day. We work hard, and we’re great guys off the court as well. We’re young and from different areas in the world, but for us to just compete and become one, it’s something that was really new from my career playing basketball.”
Kinda rich about the "all in completely" from Ayton who went thru the suspension and then missed a half of basketball in the bubble for missing a covid test. But that's our DA I guess.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So this guy, who is pretty good, is hearing some things from his sources. Btw, he's a Suns fan and advocate.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I stopped after he said Mikal.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Per the usual rules, when we hear about the specifics of a trade it's because it's not going to happen. Leaks are leverage.

Chris Paul makes a lot of sense for the Suns though. He has connections to Monty and is the type of guy I can see James Jones looking for to push this team to the next level. My problem with what he's saying in the video is that it'll be a 3-team deal involving the Lakers and I find it hard to believe the Lakers would get involved with that kind of trade if they weren't getting Chris Paul.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I didn’t listen, but Westbrook seems like the opposite of a James Jones guy and not a fit for Monty’s offense.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:00 pm
I stopped after he said Mikal.
Ok, he was dispelling the rumor about Westbrook in large part to the inclusion of Mikal. More interesting was what he was hearing.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:10 pm
Per the usual rules, when we hear about the specifics of a trade it's because it's not going to happen. Leaks are leverage.

Chris Paul makes a lot of sense for the Suns though. He has connections to Monty and is the type of guy I can see James Jones looking for to push this team to the next level. My problem with what he's saying in the video is that it'll be a 3-team deal involving the Lakers and I find it hard to believe the Lakers would get involved with that kind of trade if they weren't getting Chris Paul.
Yeah, that was odd. I wonder what the details are.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The guy on RealGM who’s had some inside info in the past said that he’s been hearing some more CP3 buzz lately.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Who would the FA target be if the rumors are true?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see any point in bringing CP3 to Phoenix. Rubio already does well enough in a floor general role at less than half the price, and he's younger and hunkier.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would not move the #10 in a CP3 trade. I don’t think I’d do Rubio/Oubre for CP3, but I’d understand it. It’d put us in that 4-6 range in the west. We’d just take the OKC spot essentially. But he’s owed like 85 million over 2 years. A huge discount and a flyer on a 24 year old 2-way wing is plenty of return for OKC. I think I’d actually want a pick coming back. The Laker part makes no sense.

If we did do it, and kept our pick, I’d use it to draft a pg of the future. Terry or Lewis. Then you can go 1 of 2 ways in free agency. Keep Saric/Carter/Payne and sign a wing like Justin Holliday for the MLE, or let Saric go, and sign Jerami Grant with cap space. Probably need to get a 5 with the room exception...say Meyers Leonard.

CP3, Booker, Bridges, Cam, Ayton with
Payne, Carter, Holiday, Saric off the bench

Or CP3, Booker, Bridges, Grant, Ayton with
Payne, Terry, Cam, Leonard off the bench.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I'm not in favor of the trade, but I'd also hold firm on getting a pick back (they've got plenty) AND I'd want Darius Bazley back.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Chris Paul? I am listening because, depending on the specifics, I am willing to take that monster contract and gamble on his health.

I'd really consider a trade that adds Paul while keeping Oubre and the #10 (and, obviously Mikal and Cam), which is hard to achieve but no impossible.

In order to do that we need to trade down (or out) and renounce to everybody we can let go without cap impact (FAs, Kaminsky, Diallo, Okobo), which would mean Rubio, filler (Jerome, Leque) for Chris Paul would work under the cba, even leaving us with the room exception to sign a non-minimum FA (PF/C).

I don't think there is any way we'd be getting back a pick or Bazley.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think we could maybe get a pick...problem is if a team like Milwaukee is also pursuing CP3, that gives OKC leverage. I’d hold firm at not moving any picks from our side.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A lot of "ifs". Maybe the FO (and Sarver) feel like this shortened season could be the time to strike and make a move for a deeper playoff run? Once again my question is: Does Paul move the needle so much for us that we can make the 2nd round or better if it costs us certain pieces?

I'm still skeptical Sarver looks for big money moves given the revenue issues and no fans in arenas for the foreseeable future. If trading for Paul means saving money one way or another, I'm sure he'd be game and may even include the 10th pick for a lower pick to save on a few bucks.