Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

What do you think Deandre Ayton's immediate future is with the Suns?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:47 am

Suns keep him for the duration of the 2022-2023 season
31%
He's on the roster to start the season but is traded mid-season
8%
Suns trade him before the season starts
62%

Total votes: 26

specialsauce

Re: Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Post by specialsauce »

Stop posting y’all. If it’s not news about DA or KD I don’t wanna hear it at this point! I just need some news! How the hell can we deal with this for two months

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:20 pm
Stop posting y’all. If it’s not news about DA or KD I don’t wanna hear it at this point! I just need some news! How the hell can we deal with this for two months
If you have been a suns fan for a minute, you know how to deal with disappointment.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

It is draggggging

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:15 pm
Co-sign

I get it but I don’t buy it. Smart teams maximize assets. We didn’t need to lose Melton and picks just to offload JJ.

The ends will only justify the means with that strategy for so long.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:50 pm
How about this: Wouldn't Ayton, despite his flaws, be a GREAT center to put in a lineup that also has CP3, Book, and KD? That starting lineup wouldn't need Ayton to be a primary creator on offense. Instead, he would anchor our defense while also complementing the offense with screen rolls and inside moves initiated by catching entry passes. CP3-Book-Mikal-KD-Ayton is a NASTY starting lineup. That same lineup with ... Bismack Biyombo? Not really as scary.

Keeping Ayton would cause us to pay more tax? So? Don't you pay the tax if it means you have a dynasty-level team that would be immediately favored to win the title? Why are we optimizing our roster moves based on our concern for poor Sarver's pocketbook?

Perhaps you'd say, it's not about saving Sarver money; it's just that I'd rather spend that money on something else rather than Ayton. But that's just it. If we don't spend that on Ayton, we *won't* spend it on anything else. We'll just pocket the savings and help Sarver's bottom line. We won't spend the money on someone else; we'll be capped out and in the tax, so we'll just sign minimum guys to fill out the roster. So it's Ayton or scrubs, and we're choosing scrubs, because it will save Sarver some cold hard cash.

I just don't get why this fanbase has internalized the decades of penny-pinching cheapness that has come to define Sarver's tenure as owner. The Warriors spend whatever they can to make the team better. And they just won the title. Why won't we do that?
Your posts give me hope that there is still hope for the fanbase. :)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
How about this: Wouldn't Ayton, despite his flaws, be a GREAT center to put in a lineup that also has CP3, Book, and KD? That starting lineup wouldn't need Ayton to be a primary creator on offense. Instead, he would anchor our defense while also complementing the offense with screen rolls and inside moves initiated by catching entry passes. CP3-Book-Mikal-KD-Ayton is a NASTY starting lineup. That same lineup with ... Bismack Biyombo? Not really as scary.

Keeping Ayton would cause us to pay more tax? So? Don't you pay the tax if it means you have a dynasty-level team that would be immediately favored to win the title? Why are we optimizing our roster moves based on our concern for poor Sarver's pocketbook?

Perhaps you'd say, it's not about saving Sarver money; it's just that I'd rather spend that money on something else rather than Ayton. But that's just it. If we don't spend that on Ayton, we *won't* spend it on anything else. We'll just pocket the savings and help Sarver's bottom line. We won't spend the money on someone else; we'll be capped out and in the tax, so we'll just sign minimum guys to fill out the roster. So it's Ayton or scrubs, and we're choosing scrubs, because it will save Sarver some cold hard cash.

I just don't get why this fanbase has internalized the decades of penny-pinching cheapness that has come to define Sarver's tenure as owner. The Warriors spend whatever they can to make the team better. And they just won the title. Why won't we do that?
Yes Ayton would make a great 4th option and if we can really get KD and keep DA, then ya I’d be in favor of it. First off, I doubt we can actually do that, and especially doubt we can do that and keep Mikal.

However, while I certainly don’t care how much Sarver spends, I certainly understand that he cares and you have to look at moves in that context. We don’t make the money the warriors do, so they aren’t a good comparison. Also, yes the team would be better with Ayton, but I honestly don’t think a CP3/Booker/Bridges/KD lineup really cares who the C is. It’s gonna be elite with Ayton or Biyombo. That’s why it’s understandable Sarver doesn’t want to spend 50 extra million for mariginal returns.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:37 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

Yes Ayton would make a great 4th option and if we can really get KD and keep DA, then ya I’d be in favor of it. First off, I doubt we can actually do that, and especially doubt we can do that and keep Mikal.

However, while I certainly don’t care how much Sarver spends, I certainly understand that he cares and you have to look at moves in that context. We don’t make the money the warriors do, so they aren’t a good comparison. Also, yes the team would be better with Ayton, but I honestly don’t think a CP3/Booker/Bridges/KD lineup really cares who the C is. It’s gonna be elite with Ayton or Biyombo. That’s why it’s understandable Sarver doesn’t want to spend 50 extra million for mariginal returns.
What do you think we're gonna get from Indiana that Brooklyn wants? Maybe one protected pick?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Why would Brooklyn trade KD to us if they don't even get Mikal Bridges back? Are they really going to take 4-5 picks plus a bunch of contract bloat and random players like Craig and Crowder as their haul for a league top-5 player?

I think any KD trade that does not involve Ayton (or players directly acquired by sending out Ayton) is going to at minimum involve Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson, plus picks. We're going to end up with the CP3+Book+KD+bantha fodder lineup.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:49 pm
Why would Brooklyn trade KD to us if they don't even get Mikal Bridges back? Are they really going to take 4-5 picks plus a bunch of contract bloat and random players like Craig and Crowder as their haul for a league top-5 player?

I think any KD trade that does not involve Ayton (or players directly acquired by sending out Ayton) is going to at minimum involve Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson, plus picks. We're going to end up with the CP3+Book+KD+bantha fodder lineup.
I heard that they want expiring contracts and picks. They've done a good job picking players in the draft, so that's a plus for them.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:49 pm

Depends if they are trying to clear space and what their team building strategy is. If they are trading KD and Kyrie, they are blowing it up. I doubt they think they will get back enough to be competitive with Boston, Philly and the Bucks next year. So they have to be planning for the future.

We have enough expiring contracts to cover KD's salary and then some. We have been focusing on the low end of 35.3M to send them for KD's 44.12M, but we could also go the other way up to 55.15M. We have Jae (10.2), Dario (9.2), CamP (6.0), Craig (5.1), CamJ (5.9) all expiring this year, and Landry (9.5--with one more year at 10) which gets us to 46M they can clear in 2 years (36.4 coming this season). Teams are always looking for expiring deals and will give up good players or more draft picks for it around the deadline, if Brooklyn wants to try that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

To be fair, I highly doubt we can get a top 5 player in the league on a 4 year contract for just our expiring contracts and 7 picks, though. It would be a very bold move by Brooklyn. Maybe they are tanking really hard this season...

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

You keep saying top 5 player.

He’s 34. He’s going to be 38 on the last year of his contract that is massive.

It’s not that simple. He’s not 24.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:12 pm

Since 1982 (when they started tracking advanced stats like TS%) there have only been 33 times a guy was able to score at least 25 points on a TS% of at least 63%. Kevin Durant has 9 of them. Nobody else has more than 4. And KD has done his age 24 season, and 25, and 26. And 27, and 28 and 29 and 30, and 32 and 33. The only year he missed it since 24 was his Achilles year, but came back and did it back to back again.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

If Ayton has a choice between Indiana and San Antonio, are NBA2K server locations a factor in his decision?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
That's a weird argument: you're entertaining the possibility that Sarver is willing to pay to keep Ayton, but if we don't keep Ayton, you're not entertaining the possibility of Sarver spending in other ways.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:31 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:12 pm

Since 1982 (when they started tracking advanced stats like TS%) there have only been 33 times a guy was able to score at least 25 points on a TS% of at least 63%. Kevin Durant has 9 of them. Nobody else has more than 4. And KD has done his age 24 season, and 25, and 26. And 27, and 28 and 29 and 30, and 32 and 33. The only year he missed it since 24 was his Achilles year, but came back and did it back to back again.
I will again repeat: he’s going to be making over 40M per year at age 38.

You’re drunk dude

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:41 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
That's a weird argument: you're entertaining the possibility that Sarver is willing to pay to keep Ayton, but if we don't keep Ayton, you're not entertaining the possibility of Sarver spending in other ways.
That’s because he isn’t allowed to do the latter under the CBA, as Mori said.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:54 pm
Someone is a ginormous pickle...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/650c7139-a ... 780ebc602b
Go to sleep old man