Around the League: July 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Around the League: July 2014

Post by SDC »

LazarusLong wrote:
SDC wrote:a better comparison for tj warren would be alex english, a guy i only saw on vhs tapes.

Not really. English had more range, and did not have the inclination to go inside that Warren has. English was a shooter, Warren is a scorer. The Bernard King comparison is a better one for Warren. I see a larger version of Ced Ceballos in Warren, at least at this juncture.
watching this alex english video, you are probably right

initially was against the king comparison because i equate bernard with explosiveness and tj warren is not that. english is finesse, graceful, soft, like he's doing ballet on the court, and he also likes to shoot "lean forward" jumpers.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Agree that TJ isn't the second coming of King, only that there are some similarities in the style of play. Alex was really a big 2-guard and shooter; that Denver team had a different dynamic, with guard T.R. Dunn often leading the team in rebounds. Backup center was Bill Hanzlik, a 6-7 collection of knees, elbows, fists, forearms and hipchecks. Regular "center" Dan Issel often took the high block and was more of a 4, having been an All-Star in that position in the NBA, playing Robin to Artis Gillmore's Batman with Kentucky ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Artis Gilmore isn't in the hall of fame, right?

I remember being at least somewhat surprised by that, upon a cursory glance at his career statistics.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Artis was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Aug. 12, 2011.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Huh, surprised I missed that.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Doesn't feel like Jameer Nelson should be on his way to Dallas?
Chris Broussard ain't got nothing on you:

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/491755298399334400

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Biggest steals of free agency:
1. PF DIRK NOWITZKI, DALLAS MAVERICKS

Value: three years, $25 million

The ultimate home-team discount likely will cost Nowitzki at least $20 million, and the Mavs probably would have given him a max contract had he demanded it. The 36-year-old remains a star, posting his most efficient season since 2007-08 last year. But 16 seasons in Dallas have brought him more than $200 million, and he now cares most about helping the Mavs assemble a winner. His new contract, featuring a massive pay cut, is just that.
I guess he didn't talk to Frye first about home team discounts.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Aminu signed by the Mavs. 2/2.1M, second year is player option.

More than solid.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm very conservative when it comes to player salaries and even I am bothered by how little Dirk will be making. He sacrificed a TON, and for what? Just so his team could overpay for Chandler Parsons?! Gross.

If I were Cuban, I honestly would feel guilty paying Dirk so little.

In terms of savvy/cost-effective free agency moves, I think you have to look at the Washington Wizards. They had a terrific offseason, aside from overpaying Marcin Gortat. They got Paul Pierce and Kris Humphries on very reasonable deals.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:I'm very conservative when it comes to player salaries and even I am bothered by how little Dirk will be making. He sacrificed a TON, and for what? Just so his team could overpay for Chandler Parsons?! Gross.

If I were Cuban, I honestly would feel guilty paying Dirk so little.

In terms of savvy/cost-effective free agency moves, I think you have to look at the Washington Wizards. They had a terrific offseason, aside from overpaying Marcin Gortat. They got Paul Pierce and Kris Humphries on very reasonable deals.
I agree 100% with this message. I feel bad for Dirk. Taking less money is fine, but he took a LOT less money, and it's not like that really allowed them to upgrade to becoming contenders. They got Tyson Chandler Parsons, big deal. They had to let Vince and maybe Marion leave to do it. They seem slightly better but not better enough to really make waves. First-round exit team, maaaaabye second round if every star is in alignment at the right time. Hopefully Cuban will make it up to Dirk by giving him post-playing-career jobs in the org.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Time for something random. A nice slow clap to msn for giving me the 'latest' sports news. Some how this was still a sports headline today. MSN you suck! Truly one of the worst 'news sources'/media churn garbage sites ever

http://t.sport.malaysia.msn.com/nba/sto ... =255982034

Robot

Post by Robot »

Chandler Parsons Opening Foam Club in Dallas
by Ryan Manzito dallassuntimesnews.com

Chandler Parsons did not hesitate to make Dallas his home. Fresh off a stint as a spokesperson for True Religion Jeans - Parsons is about to embark on his next marketing venture as the owner of an ibiza style 'foam club' in downtown Dallas called "WET N WYLD" . "This is going to be tight brah, I'm gonna just hack it out with my bois my boi Dirk , I'm probably gonna get him sloppy" laughed Parsons from the backseat of his Hummer limo.

"One day when god speaks to us , me and my boi Spencer Hawes will take off our clothes and just roll around in that foam d o e . It's gonna be hellacious. I can't wait for us to win the cup this year and then fill our cups with champagne and chocolate covered dings…" Parsons reflected on that last line as he remembered when one of his favorite 'bois' and he played strip beer pong during a frat rager where he picked up the nick-name "chocolate covered ding" "My boi was just ponging and then tragically somebody hurt him in the back, they just fell into him and he fell over brah, total noob move - but a good brah, a good one - soldiers for life brah"

In addition to the foam club - Parsons has also invested in a tanning booth company, a manscaping venture with Mark Cuban and a frankenstein manufacturing facility where Cuban will be made over the course of the 2014-15 season "Yo CUBES old factory was not having the newest swag d o e - I had to help my boi out and get him dat real shwag d o e " and he did . This company will help Cuban's head appear "more human" and less "block like" over time.

The two will hold a presser before training camp to announce these joint ventures and further discuss "Boi Crush" a short reality film series that centers around Parson's desire to 'take dat number' from Dirk "it' s part prank, part real d o e … " .
http://www.dallassuntimesnews.com/chandler-doe.html#029

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wow, Robot, smh. Where is carey? :shock:
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LMAO!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cavs fans better hope Minnesota takes the Chicago deal. That would be doing Cleveland a HUGE favor. And if Flip chooses the Chicago deal over the Minnesota deal, he should be fired on the spot.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

And I love how LeBron is turning Cleveland into Miami Redux. That letter was such crap. Bosh had turned into Channing Frye and Wade is done, so he is jumping back to Cleveland for the PR and because he can build another super team/big 3.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:And I love how LeBron is turning Cleveland into Miami Redux. That letter was such crap. Bosh had turned into Channing Frye and Wade is done, so he is jumping back to Cleveland for the PR and because he can build another super team/big 3.
It sure is looking that way.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:And I love how LeBron is turning Cleveland into Miami Redux. That letter was such crap. Bosh had turned into Channing Frye and Wade is done, so he is jumping back to Cleveland for the PR and because he can build another super team/big 3.
Yeah, it's true. It's convenient how he chooses to come back right when Miami's window of easy Finals appearances closes.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Riley and FO crew did not help the case by signing Beasley, Lewis and Oden. You don't reload with blanks ...

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm reminded of Vince Carter when he was in Toronto. In 2003, he wanted management to trade their lotto pick because he wanted a proven veteran instead of a rookie he had "wait on." Well he was eventually traded (not because of his stance on the draft) and the Raptors pick he didn't want to wait on was Chris Bosh, who immediately came and could contribute, averaging 11.4 ppg and 7.5 rpg and 1.5 bpg. The next season he was up to 16.8 ppg and 8.9 rpg. And Chris Bosh wasn't even close to the prospect Wiggins is and was more raw.

Players and coaches shouldn't play GM (I'm looking at you 'Bron and Flip).