Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Doctor_G

Re: Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Post by Doctor_G »

The girlfriend is the REAL story. She's the one that should be getting the colonoscopy. The NBA knew, and knows EXACTLY who Donald Sterling is. Yet they never uttered a word until the girlfriend committed a crime and went public with the illegal recordings.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Doctor_G wrote:Thank you Kareem!

...for putting the whole Sterling thing in it's proper context.
Great article, Doc! Thanks for the link.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

here's a contrarian article from jason whitlock

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10857 ... ur-culture

key grafs
Let's be careful here. From the owner's box to the locker room, professional sports are overrun with wealthy men in complicated, volatile sexual relationships. If TMZ plans to make "pillow talk" public and the standard is set that "pillow talk" is actionable, it won't be long before a parade of athletes joins Sterling on Ignorance Island.

A right to privacy is at the very foundation of American freedoms. It's a core value. It's a mistake to undermine a core value because we don't like the way a billionaire exercises it. What happens when a disgruntled lover gives TMZ a tape of a millionaire athlete expressing a homophobic or anti-Semitic or anti-white perspective?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:Sterling is a piece of shit. No one is denying that. No one is denying that he is a known racist.

BUT

So, something he was baited into saying, that was *illegally recorded* in the *privacy of his own home* is costing him a fine like that AND a life time ban??

How is this in ANY way correct???
I look at this as something akin to the "whistle-blowers" who leak information about a corrupt company or government they work for. Did you listen to the tape? The girlfriend does ask Sterling what he means, and asks him to clarify several times what exactly his beef is with her. But I don't think "baited" is a good choice of words. She simply asks him normal questions, like, "Why don't you want me posting a photo of Magic Johnson on my Instagram?" or, after he says not to bring blacks to the games, "What is it that you don't like about black people?" etc. I think 100% of the crud he says comes straight from him; none of it is spoon-fed by her nor twisted by her. He speaks from his heart and the deeply racist and discriminatory attitudes he presents are genuine.

Why is it correct to have him removed? Well, there are lots of reasons. For one, it's the right thing to do. He has a huge amount of power and influence over players, staff, coaches, fans, etc. A man with such a strongly racist attitude in a predominantly black league should not be granted such a position. Also, getting rid of Sterling is something the league needs to do from a practical or financial standpoint. if they didn't, it's a disaster for the image of the league. Several sponsors were pulling out; fans were threatening to boycott; players and coaches and staff of the Clippers wanted out of their contracts. It would have been a crushing blow to the success of the league if this guy were kept around.

Perhaps you are looking at it from a more legalistic perspective, like, "Even a jerk like Sterling has rights! How can they just take away something he owns (the team) with no due process?" etc. But being an NBA owner is not a "normal" job. There are only 30 of these teams and these ownership jobs, and there is a collective board of owners that decides the rules for said ownership. If Sterling breaks those rules ("conduct detrimental to the league" etc.), they can oust him. It's in the rules Sterling signed when he took the team.

I'd use an analogy of condo ownership. I own a condo in Seattle. I bought it; I own it; it's mine. But I signed a bunch of documents upon buying it, indicating that I understand that there are many constraints on my ownership and on how I can utilize my condo. I can't turn it into a business, a strip club with in the building. I can't just tear all the walls down. I can't let the unit get so run down and filthy that it harms the building for others. I have to follow the rules of the building and of the condo association, or I risk losing my condo or facing fines and/or other penalties.

Sterling owns an NBA condo. He can't just do whatever he wants with it, when that includes blatant discriminatory attitudes and statements that directly impact his most important employees. He has to go, and Silver + the owners have every right to vote him out. That's his due process; if he doesn't get enough votes, he'd stay. But they'll vote him out. If he doesn't like it, the lawyer will be happy to point him to the agreement he made when purchasing the team.
A more accurate analogy would be to compare it to owning a Subway franchise. You are the owner of that franchise, but you are part of a larger corporation as well. If it came out in the press that you were recorded saying you didn't want black people to eat at your location, Subway corporate could take away your franchise ownership rights. Same thing here. Sterling owns an NBA franchise. If it's in the best interest of the corporation to get rid of the franchise owner, that's in their constitution.

The illegal recording was wrong, no doubt. But now that the facts are out and Sterling confirmed it was him on the tape, it's too late. This isn't a court hearing with the tape being inadmissible as evidence. This is corporate policy. It works differently than the American Justice System, hence why the 1st amendment argument is invalid.

And I'll agree that the mistress is a conniving gold-digger of the highest order. I don't think anyone thinks differently, though. No one is painting her as some sort of victim.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Is his middle name really Piece of crap?
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I understand WHY its going to go down like that, but it shouldn't even have gotten to this point. Everyone has always known what Sterling is. How was it not baiting? She knew exactly what he was going to say... of course he was going to say it on his own, thats why she asked him, and thats why she had it able to record. Racism works both ways and I am SURE there are NBA players that would be thrown out of the LEAGUE for what is said behind closed doors. Larry Johnson is calling for an All Black league. I'm tired of the double standards. Agree 100% with those who have said we are living in a period of absolutely no privacy in any way shape or form. At the very least, the woman should be facing criminal charges, as I do believe what she did is 100% illegal in California. She should be forced to return every item he has ever given to her, for damages caused. Everyone has the right to be stupid and ignorant. I would never agree with his opinions, but I agree whole heartedly with his right to have them. Tolerance is accepting things that you do NOT agree with, but put up with in the name of *mutual freedom.* This is on the level of "destruction of lives." His reputation has preceded him for decades, but he was about to get an AWARD until this came out. Just rubs me the wrong way all around. The responses to this (has anyone seen Snoop Dogs?") have been just as racist as the source.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Phoenix219 wrote:Racism works both ways and I am SURE there are NBA players that would be thrown out of the LEAGUE for what is said behind closed doors.
Okay, well, if a player says something racist, I'm fine with that player being tarnished by that. Bring it on. If a player came out saying he hates Jason Collins because he's gay, well, that player probably isn't getting a next contract. There is a little bit of a difference because Sterling is a boss and has power to hire / fire people based on his racist views, but in either his case or a player's case, blatant racist comments are bad for the NBA and would be punished.
Phoenix219 wrote:Larry Johnson is calling for an All Black league. I'm tired of the double standards.
Here is his exact tweet. "Black people your Focusing on the wrong thing. We should be focusing on having our own, Own team own League! To For Self!!" It is a hard comment to parse; does he mean that he wants to see more black team owners? Does he want a segregated league? If he really wants segregation, that's a dumb and ignorant comment and he should be reprimanded for it. I don't know if he is in the NBA in any official capacity right now, though, so it may be outside of their purview. The article I found lists him as a "New York Knicks executive", so maybe they should punish him or remove him from an authority position if he really feels that way.
Phoenix219 wrote:Agree 100% with those who have said we are living in a period of absolutely no privacy in any way shape or form. At the very least, the woman should be facing criminal charges, as I do believe what she did is 100% illegal in California. She should be forced to return every item he has ever given to her, for damages caused. Everyone has the right to be stupid and ignorant.
That's fine. If she recorded him illegally or released the recording illegally, she should face charges for her act. The illegality of her act does not excuse leaving a blatantly racist owner in power over an NBA team.
Phoenix219 wrote:I would never agree with his opinions, but I agree whole heartedly with his right to have them. Tolerance is accepting things that you do NOT agree with, but put up with in the name of *mutual freedom.* This is on the level of "destruction of lives." His reputation has preceded him for decades, but he was about to get an AWARD until this came out. Just rubs me the wrong way all around. The responses to this (has anyone seen Snoop Dogs?") have been just as racist as the source.
He has the legal right to have racist opinions. He won't be thrown in jail for them. But those racist opinions, and the public knowledge of those opinions, greatly damage the league. His views and his behavior resulting from those views constitute conduct detrimental to the league, so he is being voted out as an owner.

I think it's really important for folks who would have a more conservative or libertarian view here to remember one thing: The "free market" doesn't fix this problem by itself. You can't just leave this guy in power and hope it gets better. It does great damage to the entire NBA if you let this guy just carry on after an incident like this. At its core the NBA is a business, and if an owner is acting in a way to cripple that business, you have to get him out. End of story.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Is his middle name really Piece of crap?
That's my understanding.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

So let the free market play its course; If its such a big deal to people, let it show itself. Let people stop showing up to his games and buying the merch; Free agents stop signing; Advertisers pull out; Hit him where it hurts, in the pocket. If the players are so bothered, they can stop accepting his money. eventually he'll be forced to sell. Other teams won't lose money because of him; it won't stop people in other cities from supporting their teams. Side note: If he is literally purchasing the tickets that she was using to bring guests to games, as *bad* as his judgement is, he should still have final say on those tickets, no?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Phoenix219 wrote:I understand WHY its going to go down like that, but it shouldn't even have gotten to this point. Everyone has always known what Sterling is. How was it not baiting? She knew exactly what he was going to say... of course he was going to say it on his own, thats why she asked him, and thats why she had it able to record. Racism works both ways and I am SURE there are NBA players that would be thrown out of the LEAGUE for what is said behind closed doors. Larry Johnson is calling for an All Black league. I'm tired of the double standards. Agree 100% with those who have said we are living in a period of absolutely no privacy in any way shape or form. At the very least, the woman should be facing criminal charges, as I do believe what she did is 100% illegal in California. She should be forced to return every item he has ever given to her, for damages caused. Everyone has the right to be stupid and ignorant. I would never agree with his opinions, but I agree whole heartedly with his right to have them. Tolerance is accepting things that you do NOT agree with, but put up with in the name of *mutual freedom.* This is on the level of "destruction of lives." His reputation has preceded him for decades, but he was about to get an AWARD until this came out. Just rubs me the wrong way all around. The responses to this (has anyone seen Snoop Dogs?") have been just as racist as the source.
This is about where I'm at - Sterling's been a grade A shitball for decades sure, but he's not the only fuckup in this.

You want to know what's sad about the reporting on this? The majority of outlets initially bent over backwards trying to connect Sterling to "right wing racism" (until they were forced to admit he's a liberal Democrat) - let nothing get in the way of politicising this too, 'eh? :roll:

And the NAACP showed itself to be frauds as well in this - only walking back Sterling's donations and "award" after being forced to via backlash.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

And, Snoop Dogg's little rant was mentioned a bit back :

SDC

Post by SDC »

SwingMan wrote:
And the NAACP showed itself to be frauds as well in this - only walking back Sterling's donations and "award" after being forced to via backlash.
One thing that stands out in the Donald Sterling story is his relationship with the NAACP. How did somebody so allegedly racist earn three NAACP awards? Well, two — a President’s award in 2008 and a Lifetime Achievement award in 2009. The NAACP, in light of recent events, has rescinded his second Lifetime Achievement award. But, still. Until this audio recording surfaced, the NAACP was honoring Sterling for two lifetimes’ worth of achievements

http://www.nationalreview.com/right-fie ... -pollowitz

Doctor_G

Post by Doctor_G »

SDC wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
One thing that stands out in the Donald Sterling story is his relationship with the NAACP. How did somebody so allegedly racist earn three NAACP awards? Well, two — a President’s award in 2008 and a Lifetime Achievement award in 2009. The NAACP, in light of recent events, has rescinded his second Lifetime Achievement award. But, still. Until this audio recording surfaced, the NAACP was honoring Sterling for two lifetimes’ worth of achievements

http://www.nationalreview.com/right-fie ... -pollowitz
Sterling *Purchased* the awards with millions of dollars, the same way politicians are purchased everyday in this Country. The Sterling story is a perfect example as to just how the mainstream media *manipulates* and *drives* the narrative of events which happen in this Country. The media has decided that Sterling is the ONLY villain here, even though they (the Media) have known all the while - he's been a racist piece of shit most of his adult life. The real villain here is the piece of shit / gold digger girlfriend who *illegally* recorded Sterling in the privacy of his own home. In a "just" society, the girlfriend's actions would already have the local DA filing charges against her. But then we are talking about California here...who voted in Moon Beam Jerry Brown as the States Governor. So I won't hold my breath seeing if the girlfriend will come up on charges. Privacy of Americans be damned it would seem. Very sad times we live in.
Last edited by Doctor_G on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Phoenix219 wrote:Side note: If he is literally purchasing the tickets that she was using to bring guests to games, as *bad* as his judgement is, he should still have final say on those tickets, no?
So if he owns the team and "buys" some tickets to one of his own games, you think it is okay for him to decide to ban black people from using those tickets? In an extreme case, couldn't he buy every seat in the arena (from himself, mind you, so it costs him nothing), and then ban black people from every single seat? There! Instant 100% white crowd.

Doctor_G

Post by Doctor_G »

A persons values and morals should never be governed by the State in a free Country. Some people are just plain dirtbags. But those same dirtbags have the RIGHT to purchase a ticket for anyone they care to. What race of people they choose to buy a ticket for (or not buy a ticket for), is nobody's F***ing business. We used to be a Free Country, I have my doubts if we still truly are free, as I watch the Nanny State gain more momentum with each passing day.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:Side note: If he is literally purchasing the tickets that she was using to bring guests to games, as *bad* as his judgement is, he should still have final say on those tickets, no?
So if he owns the team and "buys" some tickets to one of his own games, you think it is okay for him to decide to ban black people from using those tickets? In an extreme case, couldn't he buy every seat in the arena (from himself, mind you, so it costs him nothing), and then ban black people from every single seat? There! Instant 100% white crowd.
If I'm giving my friend a gift of tickets to the game, Hell Yes its my decision who they bring, or no more free tickets, they can buy their own! It sucks that he has horrible judgement, and sure, in an extreme case, he COULD do that, but that would be pointless, and a waste of money. He obviously isn't so extreme a racist that he doesn't deal with black people in all aspects of his life, including his bedroom.... he obviously has some degrading opinions, but in no way has he shown to be extreme to the point where an all white crowd would be on the agenda; Thats not good for anyone involved. No one would do something bad for business on purpose. He's not dumb, just old and not tech savvy. The other part that is looked over is that his whole point seemed to actually be, I don't care who you fuck in private, but don't flaunt it publically while you're on my dime. She knew he would put his foot in his mouth.

SDC

Post by SDC »

SDC

Post by SDC »

the BBC's jeremy clarkson of Top Gear may also lose his job over this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/je ... er-3480875

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

It will be absolutely disgusting if Magic ends up owning the team over this.