Around the League: Week 23 3/27 - 4/2

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 23 3/27 - 4/2

Post by Split T »

I think Portland has the 8th seed pretty locked up

Split T

Post by Split T »

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... -potential

Insider article on top players from 2015 draft class. Here's the Booker sections.

Ford: 4. Devin Booker, Phoenix Suns

I know Booker is ranked only 53rd in RPM among NBA shooting guards, so the advanced stats aren't on his side at this point. But it's hard for me to ignore what one of the youngest players in the draft class of 2015 is doing as a sophomore.

I'm not talking about just his 70-point outburst against the Boston Celtics recently. He's also averaged 24 points per game since the All-Star break. While his shooting percentages aren't those of an elite shooter, I think Booker has what it takes to get there.

Defense is another issue entirely. He's pretty awful. But looking over the rest of the class, I just don't see another player who I think can get to where Booker looks close to getting already.
Pelton: 5. Devin Booker, Phoenix Suns

As skeptical as I am that Booker will ever rate as well in terms of advanced stats as he does in points per game, I can't put him any lower than this. Booker has shown both a unique ability to create his own shot at a young age and occasional playmaking chops.

If he can add efficiency to the mix, he'll be a quality starter no matter how infrequently he grabs a rebound or comes up with a steal.
For those without insider. Ford and Pelton both ranked Towns, Porzingis, Turner 1-2-3. Pelton had Russell ahead of Booker.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://theringer.com/the-bad-nba-team- ... d6f791e5f4

Ranking the bad teams based on future potential.
Phoenix Suns
The Suns are in full tank mode now after accidently winning three straight games to kick off March. They’re playing the youngest starting five in NBA history — a perfect recipe for losing by 28 points to the Nets. But that’s OK, because these kids need and deserve opportunities. When I interviewed Watson in January, he said, “It’s important for [Marquese Chriss] to continue taking steps forward. He has a unique gift. It’s time for him to take that next step in February, March, and April just like did Devin did last year.”

That’s precisely what’s happening now. Chriss is one of the most athletic forwards in the NBA, and he’s learning the game right before our eyes. T.J. Warren still needs to extend his range, but he’s looking the part of a complementary scoring presence. Tyler Ulis is posting a tremendous 4-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio since the break. Devin Booker scored 70 freaking points. No one realistically went into this season expecting the Suns to compete for the playoffs. All they could ask for was development, and that’s precisely what they’re getting.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I haven't really seen Turner play. Is he any good? Seems like young big men are always overvalued until they get that first contract. After that, they are undervalued.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think the knock on his efficiency is a byproduct of playing on a lousy team where defenses can focus on him and he's not being set up properly by teammates. And again, he's 20. His efficiency will improve regardless. I don't know that I'd put Turner ahead of Booker.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote: I don't know that I'd put Turner ahead of Booker.
I don't know how anyone could. It's like putting Ibaka over Harden. Turner has a bright future but what Booker does is not comparable. One is playing a well defined role behind an All NBA talent, the other is carrying a terrible team and is constantly facing the best perimeter defenders opposite teams have. I only take KAT, Porzingis and the Freak before Booker.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Around the League: Week 23 3/27 - 4/2

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
For those without insider. Ford and Pelton both ranked Towns, Porzingis, Turner 1-2-3. Pelton had Russell ahead of Booker.
Russell ahead of Devin? Dafuq?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Re: RE: Re: Around the League: Week 23 3/27 - 4/2

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Split T wrote:
Russell ahead of Devin? Dafuq?
It's all about RPM for Pelton it seems. Funny, to me it seems like Booker has been improving his efficiency especially since the Boston game. We've seen him have 9, 7, and 9 assists in the game with over 40% shooting and about 90% from the ft line. He does seem to have a couple of silly turnovers a game though, which is my only gripe.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

I'll take 45/40 splits and 24.6 ppg at age 20 any day. That's what he's averaging over his last 40 games apparently.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I was really surprised that they said he was 53rd in RPM among SGs, that didn't seem right to me. He seems way more efficient than they are reporting. Also, I'm really surprised that his PER should be higher than 14.5.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

In2ition wrote:I was really surprised that they said he was 53rd in RPM among SGs, that didn't seem right to me. At the same time, it might be due to him being on a bad team. He seems way more efficient than they are reporting. Also, I'm really surprised that his PER isn't higher than 14.5

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:I was really surprised that they said he was 53rd in RPM among SGs, that didn't seem right to me. He seems way more efficient than they are reporting. Also, I'm really surprised that his PER should be higher than 14.5.
His DRPM is terrible, hence his poor overall RPM. HIs ORPM is 18th among SGs. His DRPM is 93rd out of 98.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:I was really surprised that they said he was 53rd in RPM among SGs, that didn't seem right to me. He seems way more efficient than they are reporting. Also, I'm really surprised that his PER should be higher than 14.5.
His DRPM is terrible, hence his poor overall RPM. HIs ORPM is 18th among SGs. His DRPM is 93rd out of 98.
He's going to have to improve his DRPM this summer, along with improving his efficiency across the board. One of the reasons I want to see Ball as the Suns pick is that with the right offense, he will improve everyone's efficiency numbers with a true pass first pg, which should also help with the development curve of the group. If Booker improves his defense, rebounding, passing, and fg %, while decreasing his turnovers, he will become that much more valuable on the floor and dangerous as a weapon when they are trying to win. It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that Malcolm Brogdon has a better PER than Booker, but he's not asked to carry the load. I think a shared responsibility and a pass first pg will foster sharing the ball and better overall play from the team.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Bookers poor advanced stars are less a reflection of his shooting %s and more because of his poor D-REB, STL, BLK and TO numbers.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Those numbers are skewed because we're terrible and our players don't mesh. That's where analytics can get you into trouble.

Speaking of defense, can a guy really improve his defense? I guess he can go from terrible to OK with better fundamentals and another year watching film and learning tendencies. And maybe he can work on footspeed? But I've always felt like defense is effort and instinct. And while Booker may be bad, people were all over Harden last year for his defense and this year it's not mentioned. Booker will be fine either way.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, he's not good defensively and his rebounding and assists don't wow you and his offense hasn't been terribly efficient, so why is everybody surprised?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

No offense to anyone, but saying that Booker is carrying his team is not much of a compliment when the team is second worst in the league and not playing any vets.
Turner had his share of monster games this year as well, he has good shooting percentages (80%ft for a big is nice), rebounds and blocks over two shots per game. He has some shooting range as well.
It's too early to tell who will end up being better, but in a redraft I wouldn't be surprised if Turner was taken before Booker. Both are fine for sophmores :-)

carey

Post by carey »

Did you guys see this? http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1270983

Would you fire your GM? Also not a single Suns player on that list. A bit surprised not to see Bledsoe as a trade target for them.

Edit: That could be Warren after Saric.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

There are no guards on that list, so I don't think they have ruled him out. Actually, given the age of most of the guys listed, Bledsoe as a target makes sense for them. A trade involving Bledsoe-Warren could be interesting, given that they have Gordon and a high pick.

carey

Post by carey »

Bill SImmons and the Orlando Sentinel have picked up on it: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... story.html

I didn't notice the "(for AG?)" bit at first. A Saric for Gordon swap would be strange but sort of make sense with Simmons coming back next year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!