Suns bought by Mat Ishbia…Sarver is Gone!!!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Suns bought by Mat Ishbia…Sarver is Gone!!!

Post by JeremyG »

So we may still be stuck with some of the same horrible minority owners who are buddies with Sarver and defended him?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

So the new guys paid around $2B to Sarver and some minority owners?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Uhhh... what?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:00 pm

Uhhh... what?
Oh my.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Isaiah Thomas sits on the board of his mortgage company, too. But definitely an improvement over Sarver.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:00 pm

Uhhh... what?
Presti would be a monumental coup. Might be one of the very best, if not THE BEST GMs in the league.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Presti has a long track record, but I think he's fairly overrated in recent years.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:27 pm
Isaiah Thomas sits on the board of his mortgage company, too. But definitely an improvement over Sarver.
Of course the stuff that happened when he was running the Knicks was ugly, but I think it's unfair to Thomas to compare him to Sarver now.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:32 pm
Presti has a long track record, but I think he's fairly overrated in recent years.
I don't get that. OKC is chock full of picks and flexibility and has a franchise talent coming into his own and Chet collecting dust on the bench. I'd trade Jones in for Presti ALL DAY.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

TOO wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:50 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I don't get that. OKC is chock full of picks and flexibility and has a franchise talent coming into his own and Chet collecting dust on the bench. I'd trade Jones in for Presti ALL DAY.
I mean, he's been great if you want to pick in the lottery every year.

For the record, I'm not at all saying he's bad at his job. I just don't give him credit for tanking and making draft picks.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
What about on Sunday?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:51 pm
TOO wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

For the record, I'm not at all saying he's bad at his job. I just don't give him credit for tanking and making draft picks.
They've got twice as many playoff wins as the Suns since he took over in OKC.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:06 pm
TOO wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
What about on Sunday?
Sundays are for football.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

TOO wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:17 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
TOO wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

How long has he been GM there and how long has James Jones been GM here?

Presti: 14 years
Jones: 4 years

Apples to grapes.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

TOO wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:17 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
TOO wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

:lol: So what? He's better than Blanks, Babby, and McDonagh. No one is going to deny that.

Interesting that you chose to not make that comparison while James Jones has been GM of the Suns. Jones is a head 20-4, FYI.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Yep OKC is rebuilding. Jones is still employed because Presti worked with him on Paul.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Wait, so Presti made a sweetheart deal for Jones and that's somehow evidence of Presti being better as a GM?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The thing that's ultimately held Presti back, imo, is that the Thunder are a pretty cheap franchise and not a great location. He's done great in the situation he's at. They would have won a title if they stayed in Seattle, imo. He's a very good talent evaluator, regardless of draft position.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That's a fair take. We don't know how much the ownership has pressured him to limit spending. Trading James Harden is still an NBA all-time terrible deal made by Presti.

I just have a problem with the assumption that he's automatically an upgrade when he's also never put together a title team and has benefited from the meta GM tanking crap of the last decade.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

A Jones-Presti brain trust would be phenomenal as long as they didn't start butting heads. Indeed, I wonder if the bump Jones received was made specifically for this purpose, to get Jones focused more on building culture while Presti comes in and does the talent evaluations. Both sign off on deals.