How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Post by O_Gardino »

I think someone else already said this, but I'd try to trade Ayton for Mitchel Robinson and Josh Hart + picks. I think it's a realistic deal since NY has a history of over-valuing big name players.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hart would have to pick up his player option. I’d love that deal…think it would be more likely NY would want to include RJ Barrett instead.

Split T

Post by Split T »

How about two trades:

Ayton to Charlotte for Rozier and Mark Williams, then

CP3 to LAC for Gordon and Covington.

Then sign Divencenzo, Curry, or Milton with the TPMLE and find another wing at the vet min.

Rozier/Booker/Gordon/KD/Williams
Payne/TPMLE/VetMin/Covington/Jock

Split T

Post by Split T »

Why do Hornets or Clippers do it?

Hornets got the #2 pick and inside track for Scoot Henderson. Makes Rozier expendable.

Scoot/Ball/Bridges/Washington/Ayton is not a bad lineup going forward. Scoots explosion to the rim might work better with Ayton’s pick and roll game. He’s slower and more deliberate and Scoot might create more space for him.

Also Ball has size and is a creative passer. I think they’ll find him.

Clippers get a pg and get to bring CP3 home for his swan song.

CP3/Mann/PG/Kawhi/Zubac

They have the wings to hide CP3 on defense and he can just play make without needing to score. Still have Powell/Batum/Morris off the bench. And Hyland.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:10 am
How about two trades:

Then sign Divencenzo, Curry, or Milton with the TPMLE and find another wing at the vet min.

I like the Charlotte trade but I just don't see the Clippers wanting to take Chris Paul. Surely they'd be better off trying to re-sign Westbrook given what he showed in the playoffs? A trio of Kawhi, PG13 and CP3 would be a disaster given how injury prone they all are.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:20 am
Split T wrote:
How about two trades:

I like the Charlotte trade but I just don't see the Clippers wanting to take Chris Paul. Surely they'd be better off trying to re-sign Westbrook given what he showed in the playoffs? A trio of Kawhi, PG13 and CP3 would be a disaster given how injury prone they all are.
The only issue is they can’t really pay Westbrook. He has to be willing to play for the vet min. But yes you make some valid points.

We could also just waive CP3, stretch his contract and then use the MLE on Bruce Brown and the BAE on Curry/Milton.

Leaves us with 1 less rotation guy, but Brown is better than Gordon or Covington. We could also split the MLE on two guys. Say Divencenzo and Trey Lyles.

Rozier/Booker/Divencenzo/KD/Williams
Payne/Milton/VetMin/Lyles/Jock

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:34 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
Split T wrote:
How about two trades:

The only issue is they can’t really pay Westbrook. He has to be willing to play for the vet min. But yes you make some valid points.

We could also just waive CP3, stretch his contract and then use the MLE on Bruce Brown and the BAE on Curry/Milton.

Leaves us with 1 less rotation guy, but Brown is better than Gordon or Covington. We could also split the MLE on two guys. Say Divencenzo and Trey Lyles.

Rozier/Booker/Divencenzo/KD/Williams
Payne/Milton/VetMin/Lyles/Jock
Yeah, good point about Westbrook needing to sign for the vet min - that seems unlikely too.

I like your idea of waiving Paul and stretching his contract to enable us to utilise the MLE. Brown would be great but I'd be open to splitting on two guys if the right options are available.

I'd personally prefer we flip Payne or include him as part of the package we send to Charlotte with Ayton. He just hasn't really delivered since 2021 and I feel a new coach coming in (without the loyalty that Monty had to him) will want rid of him. I'm not sure who I'd replace him with but I just feel it's time to move on.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I’m perfectly fine moving on from Payne

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Split T wrote:
How about two trades:

They might as well pick up a sponsorship with AARP :P

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

So much bad news in this Haynes article this morning:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... e-and-more
Suns Likely to Bring Back Chris Paul

The Phoenix Suns are likely to guarantee the full salary of star guard Chris Paul for the 2023-24 season, league sources tell Bleacher Report.

Paul, 38, is only guaranteed $15.8 million of his $30.8 million wage if he were to be waived by the June 28 deadline. Phoenix still maintains some flexibility with the decision, but the franchise is currently of the mindset that Paul will open up next season as the team's starting point guard, sources say.

The 12-time All-Star suffered a left groin strain in Game 2 of the second-round series versus the Denver Nuggets and was not able to make a return. The Suns were eliminated in six. Had the series been extended to Game 7, Paul would have been cleared for that contest, sources say.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I did see Bobby Marks say on one of the 98.7 shows that we could waive and stretch Paul’s contract to the open MLE and BAE for us and then try to sign Paul to a vet minimum contract. That sounds like something that’s illegal in the CBA but if that was possible, id be okay with that lol.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I don’t think we can bring him back if we stretch him, but maybe you can

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:33 pm
Terry Rozier seems a bit more likely to be on the Suns than he did yesterday with the Hornets in the drivers seat to take Scoot Henderson at #2.
He was the consensus number 2, but it seems he has been surpassed by Brandon Miller. Miller was a stud this season, and I don't think Charlotte will care about any character concerns stemming from the murder he was involved in.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:49 pm
How desperate would the Nets be about unloading Simmons?
Not desperate enough to move any of the draft capital they got from the Suns.

I get taking a flyer on Simmons in theory, but he is one of the reasons that made the Brooklyn situation undesirable for Durant. Why would we want to recreate those conditions? And the larger question to fans and media is, why is there such a strong desire to turn the Suns into Brooklyn South?! Why is everyone pushing acquiring Irving, Harden, and/or Simmons?!

Also, CP3 and Ayton are essentially the only avenues we have to improve the team. We can't waste them on taking a chance on Simmons.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:02 am
Hart would have to pick up his player option. I’d love that deal…think it would be more likely NY would want to include RJ Barrett instead.
I don't think NY is giving up Josh Hart. And they wouldn't include RJ in a deal for Donovan Mitchell; they're definitely not moving him for Ayton.

The best we're probably getting out of NY is a package of Mitchell Robinson, Evan Fournier, Obi Toppin, Immanuel Quickley, and a pick.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 10:57 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:33 pm
Terry Rozier seems a bit more likely to be on the Suns than he did yesterday with the Hornets in the drivers seat to take Scoot Henderson at #2.
He was the consensus number 2, but it seems he has been surpassed by Brandon Miller. Miller was a stud this season, and I don't think Charlotte will care about any character concerns stemming from the murder he was involved in.
:shock:
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:34 am
The only issue is they can’t really pay Westbrook.
Who is offering Westbrook a starting job and more than MLE? I'm not sure Westbrook has a suitor out there that will offer more than the MLE. So he will have to choose between LAC's TP-MLE and probably Chicago's MLE.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 10:04 am
So much bad news in this Haynes article this morning:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... e-and-more
Suns Likely to Bring Back Chris Paul

The Phoenix Suns are likely to guarantee the full salary of star guard Chris Paul for the 2023-24 season, league sources tell Bleacher Report.

Paul, 38, is only guaranteed $15.8 million of his $30.8 million wage if he were to be waived by the June 28 deadline. Phoenix still maintains some flexibility with the decision, but the franchise is currently of the mindset that Paul will open up next season as the team's starting point guard, sources say.

The 12-time All-Star suffered a left groin strain in Game 2 of the second-round series versus the Denver Nuggets and was not able to make a return. The Suns were eliminated in six. Had the series been extended to Game 7, Paul would have been cleared for that contest, sources say.
Bringing him back doesn't make any sense.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Maybe the Paul stuff is just smoke to get other teams interested.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

I don't see us winning a championship with a 39 year old (by next year's playoffs) CP3 as our starting point guard. That ship has sailed. The only way I'd be happy to bring him back, vet min or otherwise, would be if he agreed to come off the bench. I just don't see that happening.

I love what he has brought to the franchise over the past few years and wish we'd been able to help him win a ring but it's time to move on.