Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SwingMan

Re: Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Post by SwingMan »

virtual9mm wrote:RW, I agree with your point that Frye and Dragic work well together. They always have, and will continue to do so, as long as Frye is hitting his shots. I believe that there is enough of a demand for stretch 4s that Frye would get a 4-5 million/year contract for 3-years.

I do NOT, however, think that the Suns should give Frye such a large contract going forwards. He is at an age where he will start declining, although the Warlocks could very well extend his useful career. Given this, I do NOT think that Frye is guaranteed to return to the team, unless he were willing to take a home-team discount (which he might).

Along these lines, I would think that Markieff is worth much more than Marcus. Give Markieff market value (around the MLE) while giving Marcus something closer to the veteran minimum.
Problem is, Frye's off a hell of a lot more than he is on (last 2/3 of this season) and offers next to nothing outside of pitifully weak fouls on the other end.

I've suggested earlier $8 million per for both Morris twins - $5.5-$6 mi for Markieff, $2-$2.5 for Marcus. For their roles and what they offer, I think that's fair market value and they'd likely accept that to stay together.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Not exactly exactly :)
Excuse me?

Markieff Morris - 18.48
Taj Gibson - 16.09

I've not taken a single math class for over 2 decades, but it looks pretty cut & dried to me that Markieff's PER is higher there.....

Ring_Wanted

Re: Next Moves

Post by Ring_Wanted »

SwingMan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Yeah, PER. The stat that accounts best for defense, which again, is Gibson's calling card.

By the way, I've never played fantasy basketball.
Exactly - and Markieff rates higher with less minutes. ;)
PER is notoriously lacking when it comes to defense, so I wouldn't use this stat to support Kieff vs Gibson if your focus is on D, as would be mine if I traded for Taj Gibson (whose offense has expanded enough that I actually am comfortable taking in his salary).

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Yeah, PER. The stat that accounts best for defense, which again, is Gibson's calling card.

By the way, I've never played fantasy basketball.
Exactly - and Markieff rates higher with less minutes. ;)
PER is notoriously lacking when it comes to defense, so I wouldn't use this stat to support Kieff vs Gibson if your focus is on D, as would be mine if I traded for Taj Gibson (whose offense has expanded enough that I actually am comfortable taking in his salary).
Excuse me - is there 2 different users named "Ring_Wanted"?

First you say "Yeah, PER. The stat that accounts best for defense, which again, is Gibson's calling card" - then you say "PER is notoriously lacking when it comes to defense"

Well, which is it? :lol:

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

It's irony. :)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't think Marcus Morris is worth much more than the minimum in that we could easily find a player that gives us 85-115% of his production for exactly that amount. Good spot up 3 pt shooter, decent rebounder at the 3, not much else.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:I don't think Marcus Morris is worth much more than the minimum in that we could easily find a player that gives us 85-115% of his production for exactly that amount. Good spot up 3 pt shooter, decent rebounder at the 3, not much else.
Exactly. But you're not taking into account TWIN POWER. :roll:
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SwingMan wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
SwingMan wrote: Third, we need a post scorer - good as Gibson's defense is, Markieff's post offense is better.

Fourth, Gibson is already 29 years old - with his style of play, he's going to fade soon, and fast.
Wow, I don't think either one of those points is even remotely close to being true.
I can't predict the future on his health, but I've seen more than enough of his post offense - sans dunking - to know that he has less than little and much less than Markieff.

But you do agree that the move would be lateral at best, right?
What gets me about Gibson is that he is PAID. I mean he makes a lot of money. That's what would give me pause.

Aside from that, I think Markieff's offense is more easily replaced or compensated for than Gibson's defense.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the Thibodeau system is much like the D'Antoni system in that if you take a guy out of that system after he looked great in the system for several years, suddenly the guy is lost and worthless. The system either burns guys out or uses guys so well that their value out of it is diminished. I would not want Taj Gibson for that reason. Never liked undersized 4s who can't shoot well, anyway.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Why do people still think Sarver is cheap? This sportsblog dude is convinced 100% Sarver is cheap because he sold some picks 7 years. Doesnt get that he is still paying guys he overpaid to go away. Blah.

SDC

Post by SDC »

i'm not the only one who liked the suns current unis/kits.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-n ... d-dislike/

31. The Suns’ New Uniforms

I’ve been waiting all year to say this: I love ’em. The little lines below the word “Suns” give off the impression of something round — a ball, the sun — speeding through space. The colors are great, and the purple road jerseys are gorgeous. There are all kinds of nice little touches everywhere — on the collar, on the bottom of the shorts, and the lettering that spells out “Suns” from either direction.

The heavy use of purple is especially welcome after the Suns weirdly excised it from their court design in favor of a black-and-orange Halloween-style theme.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:I would not want Taj Gibson for that reason. Never liked undersized 4s who can't shoot well, anyway.
Huh? Gibson isn't undersized and he has a very reliable mid-range jumper.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SDC wrote:i'm not the only one who liked the suns current unis/kits.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-n ... d-dislike/

31. The Suns’ New Uniforms

I’ve been waiting all year to say this: I love ’em. The little lines below the word “Suns” give off the impression of something round — a ball, the sun — speeding through space. The colors are great, and the purple road jerseys are gorgeous. There are all kinds of nice little touches everywhere — on the collar, on the bottom of the shorts, and the lettering that spells out “Suns” from either direction.

The heavy use of purple is especially welcome after the Suns weirdly excised it from their court design in favor of a black-and-orange Halloween-style theme.
The stripe across the butt and the feathers at the end of the shorts have to go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Just switch the shorts to purple versions of the black shorts and they'd be passable.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:The stripe across the butt and the feathers at the end of the shorts have to go.
I'd settle for just getting rid of the wings or flames or whatever it is at the bottom of the shorts. Although they aren't that noticeable from a distance, up close it's pretty terrible.

The butt stripe ain't that bad.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The new unis are better than the last ones but that's not saying a whole lot.

I do like the road unis the best.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:I would not want Taj Gibson for that reason. Never liked undersized 4s who can't shoot well, anyway.
Huh? Gibson isn't undersized and he has a very reliable mid-range jumper.
Maybe he is in height at 6'8-9, but he's got a 7'4 wingspan and a 9'1 standing reach. His body is certainly not a concern. His salary was, but this season he seems to have improved a lot, and finally has developed a midrange shot, which is why I'd have to problem trading for him.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:The new unis are better than the last ones but that's not saying a whole lot.

I do like the road unis the best.
The white ones are very good. I didn't like them at first, but the more I watched, the better they looked, and now I really dig them.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

I absolutely adore purple road jerseys and I was pleasently surprised with the `Los Suns` black sleeved ones.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Back to the offseason moves thread.

Would anyone else target Greg monroe? I like his game and think he was in a difficult situation this yr in a toxic locker room. He is a RFA

With Andre Drummond coming into his own and Josh Smith's best position being PF and locked up for a long time I wonder if the Pistons are matching a good offer for him.

This is a guy I'm targeting if I'm Ryan & Co.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”