Around the League: Week 7 12/7-12/13

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week 7 12/7-12/13

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Kennedy's homosexuality was pretty well known around the league even before his official coming out this week.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:If Rondo knew he was gay and threw that term out there at him, it's much more personal and hateful than him simply flying off and yelling out a bunch of derogatory names, which I think would lend itself more to ignorance and general stupidity. I think the intent would be seen differently. Still not justified or acceptable in any way obviously.
I don't know. Whether someone is gay or not doesn't really have anything to do with if you are talking about hate or general stupidity (not that those are mutually exclusive!). I would think hate applies to both; it is just that hate for that specific guy might not be part of it (as opposed for hate towards a huge group of people).

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:I really wish we had found a way to keep Dragic, but if you knew he would command $85m (essentially the max) as his next salary, would you have still wanted to keep him over Bledsoe?
i bet dragic would have signed for brandon knight money if mcdo didnt screw up horribly last season by signing IT and drafting ennis.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Rumor has it Dwight Howard is not happy in Houston and could be traded to Miami for a package including Hassan Whiteside.
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/12/15 ... -to-miami/

Since D12's salary is so large, in excess of 22M (plus player option for 23M next season), the Heat would need to send out many bodies including Deng, plus some combination of the Birdman, McBob and Haslem. Dragic can't be traded until January.

Only reason for the Heat would be Riley not wanting to pay Whiteside the max he is going to command next summer, because so far this season he's been arguably better than Howard. For instance, he leads the league in defensive FG differential near the rim and is #4 overall in rebounding rate. Then again, Howard is going to be expesive af on his own, but is already declining from his prime years.

If this was to go throught, the Heat would be a dign incarnation of the geriatric 90's Rockets of Olajuwon, Barkley and Drexler/Pip.
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In that same article it says the Kings were willing to move Cousins at the draft to the Lakers for D’Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Julius Randle and a low 1stR.

Lakers said no.

Hhahahahah. Lakers said no. Unbelievable.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Hmm. That's quite a haul for Cousins though, basically the Lakers' entire youth movement, all in one fell swoop. Lakers might be betting they could build those guys up a couple of years and just sign Cousins, no?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

That package sure looked way better at the draft (maybe a good example of draft picks inflation) but come on. Clarkson is expiring (lack of foresight), D'Angelo and Randle are nice prospects to have but it would be a surprise if they got near the best at their position say top5. Both are perfectly disposable in the right deal. A low 1stR is barely worth of mention here.

They are still the Lakers and nothing they'd pull would surprise me (Westbrook for instance), but you can't gamble on that when the best center in the game, not yet in his prime, is made available to you for that bunch, especially when you are a bottom feeder anyways.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I don't think I'll ever be sold on Cousins. This dude is always involved in something dumb. A few of his "crew" were ejected from the game last night for doing dumb shit. This guy has more baggage than a Southwest Airlines flight. Oh and he has never been on a winning team. And it's never even been close.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Indy

Post by Indy »

djy2j wrote:I don't think I'll ever be sold on Cousins. This dude is always involved in something dumb. A few of his "crew" were ejected from the game last night for doing dumb shit. This guy has more baggage than a Southwest Airlines flight. Oh and he has never been on a winning team. And it's never even been close.
That is my issue with him. I see him as a guy that might give you a season or two of his best when traded, but after that it just is untenable. Crazy be crazy.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think he's genuinely passionate and wants to win, but doesn't know how and hasn't had the proper support system in place. The Kings have been a mess his entire time there. If we were to get him, I think that's where Tyson would be a huge help on and off the court. He's the kind of mentor Cousins needs and would respect.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

djy2j wrote:I don't think I'll ever be sold on Cousins. This dude is always involved in something dumb. A few of his "crew" were ejected from the game last night for doing dumb shit. This guy has more baggage than a Southwest Airlines flight. Oh and he has never been on a winning team. And it's never even been close.
He is Rasheed's head inside Shaq's body. If you surround him with the right professionals, I believe he'll behave.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:I think he's genuinely passionate and wants to win, but doesn't know how and hasn't had the proper support system in place. The Kings have been a mess his entire time there. If we were to get him, I think that's where Tyson would be a huge help on and off the court. He's the kind of mentor Cousins needs and would respect.
Agreed.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:If Rondo knew he was gay and threw that term out there at him, it's much more personal and hateful than him simply flying off and yelling out a bunch of derogatory names, which I think would lend itself more to ignorance and general stupidity. I think the intent would be seen differently. Still not justified or acceptable in any way obviously.
I don't know. Whether someone is gay or not doesn't really have anything to do with if you are talking about hate or general stupidity (not that those are mutually exclusive!). I would think hate applies to both; it is just that hate for that specific guy might not be part of it (as opposed for hate towards a huge group of people).
Not sure if this should be treated any differently than if the ref was a woman and he called hera b____ or a black man and he called him a n_____ or overweight and he called him a fat slob.

Just thinking out loud here.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
He is Rasheed's head inside Shaq's body. If you surround him with the right professionals, I believe he'll behave.
It seems to me that Cousins has behaved fairly well this year. Are there any examples of boneheaded behavior recently?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

OK. What a mischaracterization. First, it was his manager--a white guy in a business suit type--not "crew." Terry used the guy as a backstop to try to avoid running into the crowd. But he didn't just do that. Terry used him to push off. Its the type of thing that happens in any game. I am not sure I would have even ejected the guy, but I certainly know Cousins had nothing to do with it.

Its a good thing he is Cousins manager, because the Kings are a client and you don't sue a client. Any other fan would have a case for damages and defamation. He pushed Terry's hand off of him.

Here is the video.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... errys-hand

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
OK. What a mischaracterization. First, it was his manager--a white guy in a business suit type--not "crew." Terry used the guy as a backstop to try to avoid running into the crowd. But he didn't just do that. Terry used him to push off. Its the type of thing that happens in any game. I am not sure I would have even ejected the guy, but I certainly know Cousins had nothing to do with it.

Its a good thing he is Cousins manager, because the Kings are a client and you don't sue a client. Any other fan would have a case for damages and defamation. He pushed Terry's hand off of him.

Here is the video.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... errys-hand
Wow. Glad you posted that. Very different story than I pictured in my head.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Later another person in his "group" was ejected also.

He has been suspended a total of 7 games in his career and fined over $559,000 in his career due to suspensions and technical fouls. That does not include his spat with George Karl or anything else.

He's a knucklehead. A different kind than a Matt Barnes or JR Smith but knucklehead nonetheless.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

OE32

Post by OE32 »

djy2j wrote:Later another person in his "group" was ejected also.

He has been suspended a total of 7 games in his career and fined over $559,000 in his career due to suspensions and technical fouls. That does not include his spat with George Karl or anything else.

He's a knucklehead. A different kind than a Matt Barnes or JR Smith but knucklehead nonetheless.
Agreed. People rag on Griffin and the Clippers for complaining about every call, but I've never seen anyone complain as much as Cousins, and frankly, officials tolerate more from him than from just about anyone I've ever seen.

Truly, not interested. Besides, if Len stays healthy, he may very well prove to be the better investment over time.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

OE32 wrote:

Agreed. People rag on Griffin and the Clippers for complaining about every call, but I've never seen anyone complain as much as Cousins, and frankly, officials tolerate more from him than from just about anyone I've ever seen.

Truly, not interested. Besides, if Len stays healthy, he may very well prove to be the better investment over time.
Very slight chance of that.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

"Group"? Did you watch the video? Terry pushed the guy back a foot trying push off of him. There is no way this should have any poor reflection on Cousins.

I might not be a big Cousins fan, but accusations need to be fair.