Game Day: Bucks (10-18) @ Suns (12-16), Sun 12/20/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
OE32

Re: Game Day: Bucks (10-18) @ Suns (12-16), Sun 12/20/15

Post by OE32 »

ShelC wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
ShelC wrote:
EDC wrote:I still think a good coach could beat some discipline into these guys. The problem is you can't just hire a good coach mid season. At least it is unlikely that a good coach would take up a bad team mid season.

The thing I'm really scared of at this point is a knee jerk reaction trade. Where we ship out young talent for mediocre vets in the hopes that we make the playoffs. That could set us back a lot.

Trade Kieff if something attractive comes along and then just ride this out to the off season. In the off season throw money at a real coach until he accepts.
I agree that a coach that can teach more traditional halfcourt basketball and defense would serve us well.

I don't think we'll make a bad trade though. Our front office isn't the type to make a trade just to make one or try and make a splash.
What about what we did at the last deadline, giving up a potentially super valuable 1st rounder for the highly questionable 1/3 season of Brandon Knight?
I don't think that was a trade just to make a trade or make a splash.
True, but it did have some of the hallmarks of a "knee jerk reaction". We wanted to keep up the momentum and we thought Knight for the pick was fair value, given the risk profiles of the two assets. We were taking a clear step back by trading Dragic and we didn't think that was the right trajectory. To continue moving up, we knew we had to do something, so we were willing to take the best deal we could get.

I think the next card to turn is Hornacek's resignation. That change would likely be accompanied by a change in the playing time of various players, which would in turn increase the likelihood of trades. Who knows what happens.

ShelC

Re: Game Day: Bucks (10-18) @ Suns (12-16), Sun 12/20/15

Post by ShelC »

True, but it did have some of the hallmarks of a "knee jerk reaction". We wanted to keep up the momentum and we thought Knight for the pick was fair value, given the risk profiles of the two assets. We were taking a clear step back by trading Dragic and we didn't think that was the right trajectory. To continue moving up, we knew we had to do something, so we were willing to take the best deal we could get.
I don't think so. I think trying to salvage the season and maybe make a run at the tail end of the year was an objective and goal, but I think the move was made with an eye towards the future just the same. We were getting a still very young talented guard, and also maintained that two scoring point guard look with Knight big enough to guard SGs. You can argue the value of the pick all day and I certainly don't disagree. But you also have to load your roster with talent and compete and not just stock with it 19 and 20 year olds every year.