Jeff Hornacek Fired

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Jeff Hornacek Fired

Post by Shabazz »

The good news is that if Rich Paul plays hardball, we can tell him to F off and hire one of the dozens of other qualified head coaching candidates.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We should have a "no Rich Paul Rule" for any players or coaches. This is seriously wearing on me.

Also, there is a rule that agents can't rep players and coaches that apparently is never enforced.

carey

Post by carey »

Agents or agency? There's a difference.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not sure, but I would think agents themselves. Hard to enforce if a guy has had 1 agent for his entire career and then has to drop him when he goes into coaching or management. Major conflict of interest tho.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Has anybody heard from Hornacek on this mess?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

ugh, really dont like the Watson hire, even worse that he's a RP client, but apparently he's a basketball "Megamind"
~~~~~

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Superbone wrote:Has anybody heard from Hornacek on this mess?
I doubt Jeff will be too outspoken on the way out. He strikes me as a pretty classy guy

carey

Post by carey »

I urge everyone to listen to the first hour of the Burns & Gambo show today via podcast. He gave up previously unknown details about the Gentry firing and if it went down like Gambo said it did I give Majerle a free pass for life. Fucking brutal.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:I urge everyone to listen to the first hour of the Burns & Gambo show today via podcast. He gave up previously unknown details about the Gentry firing and if it went down like Gambo said it did I give Majerle a free pass for life. Fucking brutal.
Can you summarize?

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

carey wrote:I urge everyone to listen to the first hour of the Burns & Gambo show today via podcast. He gave up previously unknown details about the Gentry firing and if it went down like Gambo said it did I give Majerle a free pass for life. Fucking brutal.
yep, paints the Suns as a slime ball organization (Blanks/Hunter) no way around that at all.

lets all go to a game and start a "WE WANT JERRY BACK" Chant, see where that goes.

.. I'm not joking, I'd totally be down for that and that would be the only way I'd step foot in America West Arena (or whatever nonsense it is not) right now.

Love my Suns, but I will not (and have not since the Joe Johnson nonsense, been a supporter of the current regime).

Other things for them to do to win back our attention.
Paint the court purple again, give us our "Purple Palace" Planet Orange is stupid, and while were at it, go full western style again w/ the Uni's, ala early KJ days.

Put games back on basic TV (channel 45! ftw and get Al McCoy to do TV again) people are moving off of cable, I have not had it in 6 years and have not watched a Suns game on TV for 6 years (online only).

Sarver either needs to sell the team or learn to back off and actually hire a good GM (not this triforce of Sarver/Babby McDonough they need ONE dude who knows what they are doing who calls the shots, not 3 who dont have a clue and stumble over each other).

Stop w/ the double PG back court, its dumb. Trade Morris for a used band-aid, thats about all he's worth anyway, heck throw Tyson and PJ in that deal too, they have no purpose here.

Tank!, We've been crying for the Suns to tank for 5 years now, DO IT, get a top 5 pick, maybe get super lucky and get Ben Simmons this year or Josh Jackson next year, either way, 30 year old players like Aldridge are not the answer, the fans would rather we suck for a few years with hope of the future than this malaise of mediocrity that we've had since Jerry left (minus some brilliance by Nash).

"WE WANT JERRY BACK"
~~~~~

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

Shabazz wrote:
Can you summarize?
summary, it was all a lie and waste of time (just pandering and trying to 'trick them into staying') for Majerle and Turner to interview, Banks had the job lined up for Hunter, but led them along to try and get them to stay on staff under Hunter.
Gentry called Gambo the day before he got fired saying he was going to get fired the next day, and he did.
Dan walks into Banks office to get news on the new coach, gets told they went in another direction, Dan said if Turner is coach he will stay on, asks who the new coach is, Banks says, I'll let him tell you.

Dan walks into the hallway and see's Hunter who pleads for him to stay, Dan's response, YOU DONT WANT ME ON YOUR BENCH YOU DIDNT EARN THIS JOB, IM DONE HERE
~~~~~

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I thought all that (hunter was predetermined, interview process was a sham) was pretty well known.

Lance Blanks was the worst.

carey

Post by carey »

It may have been hour 2 now that I think about it. There was obviously a lot of Suns talk today.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Nice touch that the players found out via the news rather than being told by the Suns

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ugh; Earl Watson hired as coach.

Double ugh; he hires Rich Paul as his agent. Seriously, I want no part of that guy.

Triple ugh; being reminded about Lindsey Hunter.

EDC

Post by EDC »

I dunno that it is a huge deal. Do teams actually sit players down and give them the news before they fire their coaches? I doubt that. Ideally I guess they fire him in the morning when the players are in the building then call a meeting.

I think once again our whiny players are blaming someone else. They are the ones that quit on Coach before the injuries happened. Not sure how they can be upset with the front office. They have won 2 games in the last 23. The vets running around blaming everyone else for their lack of production is just typical for this group.

Seriously the players are crying to media saying it is the front offices fault because they didn't put together a good team? Do they realize they are a part of that team? Who honestly says shit like that? There was enough talent on this team to have done a lot better than they did before the injuries happened. So if an anonymous player is saying it wasn't the coaches fault, but instead the front offices, then he needs to take a look in the mirror.

The front office really wasn't too bright when they brought Morris back and let him spread his discontent. They needed to have shipped him out way sooner. Hopefully he hasn't infected the young guys besides Archie.

It is all fixed pretty easily. Ship out the vets and hire a real coach.

Cap

Post by Cap »

EDC wrote:Seriously the players are crying to media saying it is the front offices fault because they didn't put together a good team? Do they realize they are a part of that team? Who honestly says shit like that? There was enough talent on this team to have done a lot better than they did before the injuries happened. So if an anonymous player is saying it wasn't the coaches fault, but instead the front offices, then he needs to take a look in the mirror.
I used to try to explain that to my boss all the time. "Don't blame me," I said, "blame the fool who hired me."

I got fired. :(

EDC

Post by EDC »

carey wrote:It may have been hour 2 now that I think about it. There was obviously a lot of Suns talk today.
Ugh. I started it up before seeing this part. All that first hour did was piss me off. That fucking anonymous player. Them feeling sorry for Coach and how it is cool that he just checked out. While at the same time taking the players side and blaming the front office.

It is like they can't connect that Coach wouldn't have been fired if the players actually listened to him. Well he still might not have been with us next year but he wouldn't have been fired.

Then the doom and gloom. Them saying even if we get Simmons it will be years before anything good happens. It is playoff or bust for them. They are just like Sarver. A young team can be enjoyable to watch.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Blanks/Hunter stuff was known and the Suns org didn't do much to hide it. I don't think there was malice or backstabbing here, just incompetence all around on a bunch of levels. I'd bet there's more to the story with Hornacek, even going back to his assistants. Not saying they're to blame, just that there's more to the story.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Just gut feel, but it seems like they've had Watson pegged as their man from a little while out. It's easier to put him into the head coaching position if the 2 lead assistants aren't there any more.
But you're right that it doesn't really add up on the surface