Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:58 am
Lillard has had better talent around him, and a better organization.
Booker was performing in a shit-show up to now ...
For their careers I would agree with this. Not last year though. With all the injuries, I think Booker had a better supporting cast than Lillard. Though I think the bubble suns were clearly better than the bubble blazers..just started too far behind.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:18 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:58 am
Lillard has had better talent around him, and a better organization.
Booker was performing in a shit-show up to now ...
For their careers I would agree with this. Not last year though. With all the injuries, I think Booker had a better supporting cast than Lillard. Though I think the bubble suns were clearly better than the bubble blazers..just started too far behind.
Saw a tweet that said since 2015, Dame hasn't had a single one of these on his team to help him:

MVP
All-star
All-NBA
DPOY
6th man
ROY
All-rookie
COY

Yet he leads his team to the playoffs every year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

CJ's as good a #2 as you'll find IMO and Nurk turned into a very good big. They haven't figured out the SF/PF position tho so that's always been a weakness. Stotts has also done as good a job as any coach could've too IMO. So it's not like they've been lacking a ton of talent or had instability with the FO and coaching. It's really their draft picks (or lack thereof) which have been holding the team back from taking another step.

Split T

Post by Split T »

CJ is on the short list of best players never named an all-star. But I don’t know if I’d call him one of the best #2’s. He’s been on par with say Jamal Murray, but Murray was better this year. I think Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Suns, and Jazz all have better #2’s than Portland. Dallas is close, it’s probably KP if healthy. Nurkic is good, he just hasn’t been healthy. They do finally seem to have that 3/4 situation figured out with Covington/Hood/Jones Jr/Melo. Collins and Trent too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:35 am
CJ is on the short list of best players never named an all-star. But I don’t know if I’d call him one of the best #2’s. He’s been on par with say Jamal Murray, but Murray was better this year. I think Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Suns, and Jazz all have better #2’s than Portland. Dallas is close, it’s probably KP if healthy. Nurkic is good, he just hasn’t been healthy. They do finally seem to have that 3/4 situation figured out with Covington/Hood/Jones Jr/Melo. Collins and Trent too.
So who does Booker think is our #2? And who does Paul think is our #2? And who does Ayton think is our #2?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

According to Jones in the presser, Chris Paul and Booker have established NBA identities, and the rest of the team has not. I don't think Ayton is getting star treatment in the gym.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:00 pm
Split T wrote:
So who does Booker think is our #2? And who does Paul think is our #2? And who does Ayton think is our #2?
We’ll see. Booker and CP3 both seem to be on the same page so far. Hopefully we don’t have issues. And Ayton doesn’t actually strike me as someone who’ll complain about being a #3. He’s got kinda the opposite problem. I think I’d actually take it as a good sign if he got upset and did something about it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:28 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:00 pm
Split T wrote:
We’ll see. Booker and CP3 both seem to be on the same page so far. Hopefully we don’t have issues. And Ayton doesn’t actually strike me as someone who’ll complain about being a #3. He’s got kinda the opposite problem. I think I’d actually take it as a good sign if he got upset and did something about it.
He strikes me more as an Amare-type (off the court); thinks he is the 2nd coming.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It would really suck if Schroder ends up unhappy coming off the bench for the Lakers

Split T

Post by Split T »

If he wants to start I don’t see why they wouldn’t start him. He’s clearly their best pg

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:18 pm
I liked that trade at the time quite a bit. Unfortunate for that kid.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

It looks like the Pistons are conducting a deep cleaning up on their roster, kinda of what Jones did here last year. Not much sense on cutting a rookie contract unless you consider he is beyond redemption on or off the court. The proverbial next year were you wonder if they will keep it up/ putting it up together. Even more, some extensions (many bad ones) are granted because of that final year.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Pistons have had a very puzzling offseason.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Zhaire Smith has been through a lot. Go read this article if you haven't heard about it. He had such a severe food allergy that he was in the hospital with tubes stuck in him for months:

https://www.gq.com/story/zhaire-smith-7 ... c-reaction

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good for Elie!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

And that’s why the Nets will take the Best Backcourt award from us.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

No good on Kemba

Indy

Post by Indy »

I feel bad for Kemba, but it couldn't happen to a nicer team.