2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:ESPN has a new mock draft. Has us picking third and taking Bamba.

I'd be a little disappointed if we land at 3/22 and come away with Bamba and Duvall. I'd be excited about Bamba, but there's guys I'd rather have.

I don't want Duvall at all. He's at athletic specimen, but he can't shoot at all. No room for that on our roster. I'd rather take shamet or Alexander-Walker there.

The lottery went:
Kings - Doncic
Hawks - Ayton
Suns - Bamba
Magic - Bagley
Bulls - JJJ
Cavs - Porter
Sixers - Young
Mavs - Carter
Grizzlies - Miles Bridges
Knicks - Sexton
Jazz - Mikal Bridges
Hornets - Knox
Clippers - Williams
Nuggets - Troy Brown

They have us drafting Jalen Hudson, Jalen Brunson, and Milik Yarbarough in round 2
If we pick Bamba at 3, I will be done. There are 5 guys I like better than him still on the board.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Trae Young's interview reminded me of Bobby Boucher. Just needed him to talk about his mama. I wouldn't hold it against him at all. If the Suns pick Bamba instead of Bagley or Young, I will be devastated and depressed. And Duval can't shoot, which is one of the reasons that Duke struggles from time to time.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

There is a kid that may be available next year with the new rules taking affect and HS kids being allowed to declare in Chol Marial that is taller and an even more insane wingspan than Bamba. Kid is 7'3" with a 8 ft wingspan that could be even better than Bamba and could possibly fall into the Suns range.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

JJJ doesn't have the 7'9 wingspan, it's 7'4, but he's younger than Bamba and putting up similar or better numbers. They both block just under 6 shots per 40 minutes and Jackson is a much better shooter right now, 44% from 3 to 25% from 3. People keep talking about Bamba like he's a potential unicorn, but I haven't seen anything from him offensively to suggest he'd be anything other than a rim runner. His outside shot could develop more, but that doesn't make him Antetekounmpo or Kristaps

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:There is a kid that may be available next year with the new rules taking affect and HS kids being allowed to declare in Chol Marial that is taller and an even more insane wingspan than Bamba. Kid is 7'3" with a 8 ft wingspan that could be even better than Bamba and could possibly fall into the Suns range.
There is also Bol Bol. 7'2 with 7'8 wingspan.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

England Sun wrote:The more I watch Young the more I know I will be disappointed on draft night if we don’t get him.
He is just so smart. He might not be the fastest player on the planet, but he knows how to turn on the jets at just the right moment. He shoots a lot but is not selfish. He is always looking for open players. He seems to finish well around the rim too. BTW he also gets 2 steals a game. Tyler Ulis was considered a very good college defender and got 1.2.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

specialsauce wrote:Have you guys heard him speak? He sounds 12. Not the voice I expected. He reminds me of Monta Ellis. And he’s buddy-buddy with Lebron
He sounds like "The Waterboy"

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:ESPN has a new mock draft. Has us picking third and taking Bamba.

I'd be a little disappointed if we land at 3/22 and come away with Bamba and Duvall. I'd be excited about Bamba, but there's guys I'd rather have.

I don't want Duvall at all. He's at athletic specimen, but he can't shoot at all. No room for that on our roster. I'd rather take shamet or Alexander-Walker there.

The lottery went:
Kings - Doncic
Hawks - Ayton
Suns - Bamba
Magic - Bagley
Bulls - JJJ
Cavs - Porter
Sixers - Young
Mavs - Carter
Grizzlies - Miles Bridges
Knicks - Sexton
Jazz - Mikal Bridges
Hornets - Knox
Clippers - Williams
Nuggets - Troy Brown

They have us drafting Jalen Hudson, Jalen Brunson, and Milik Yarbarough in round 2

If we pick Bamba at 3, I will be done. There are 5 guys I like better than him still on the board.
I think Bamba is as promising as any other prospect here. He is smart, athletic, and has a 9-6 standing reach. His usage is so low on his team. Not sure they even know how to use him offensively.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:JJJ doesn't have the 7'9 wingspan, it's 7'4, but he's younger than Bamba and putting up similar or better numbers. They both block just under 6 shots per 40 minutes and Jackson is a much better shooter right now, 44% from 3 to 25% from 3. People keep talking about Bamba like he's a potential unicorn, but I haven't seen anything from him offensively to suggest he'd be anything other than a rim runner. His outside shot could develop more, but that doesn't make him Antetekounmpo or Kristaps
I think that Bamba is going to be a Tyson Chandler type when he gets stronger. I don't see him with any outstanding offensive skills, but he'll be a terror on defense if he doesn't get bullied in the paint.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:There is a kid that may be available next year with the new rules taking affect and HS kids being allowed to declare in Chol Marial that is taller and an even more insane wingspan than Bamba. Kid is 7'3" with a 8 ft wingspan that could be even better than Bamba and could possibly fall into the Suns range.
There is also Bol Bol. 7'2 with 7'8 wingspan.
True, and Bol Bol is a much better offensive player than Bamba.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Bamba at 3!? Hahahaha

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:Besides sounding like a 12 year old, I thought he said all the right things.
+1

Interview didn't turn me off of him, makes me like him more.
Agreed. You can tell he isn't comfortable doing live, national TV interviews. Wonder how many of us would do well at that, much less when we were 19.
Joking aside, I completely agree, and I hope we don't let hairstyle or a high pitched voice turn us off to talent.
Hairstyle matters, just ask the Magic.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:JJJ doesn't have the 7'9 wingspan, it's 7'4, but he's younger than Bamba and putting up similar or better numbers. They both block just under 6 shots per 40 minutes and Jackson is a much better shooter right now, 44% from 3 to 25% from 3. People keep talking about Bamba like he's a potential unicorn, but I haven't seen anything from him offensively to suggest he'd be anything other than a rim runner. His outside shot could develop more, but that doesn't make him Antetekounmpo or Kristaps
I think that Bamba is going to be a Tyson Chandler type when he gets stronger. I don't see him with any outstanding offensive skills, but he'll be a terror on defense if he doesn't get bullied in the paint.
That's kinda how I see him too. Chandler/Gobert. DPOY potential but very dependent on ball handlers on offense to be effective. He does have the great reach, but I think Chandler was more athletic.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If the Suns can somehow get Young and Bagley, I will probably start building a statue to McDonough this off-season. Now I'm nervous that the Suns win the lottery and pick Bamba. :cry:

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
That's kinda how I see him too. Chandler/Gobert. DPOY potential but very dependent on ball handlers on offense to be effective. He does have the great reach, but I think Chandler was more athletic.
I'll give him his due as far as athleticism, he's an excellent athlete. I think he's as good or better than Chandler in his prime.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Drafting Bamba will almost certify McDs exit. He’ll be yet another player in the Chriss-Bender-Jackson mold who comes in and fails to move the needle at all. He may be a great defensive player, but in today’s NBA that big man is not making that much of a difference on the performance of a team, especially in the playoffs
Last edited by specialsauce on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carey

Post by carey »

Zero chance we pass on Young to take Bamba.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I'll give him his due as far as athleticism, he's an excellent athlete. I think he's as good or better than Chandler in his prime.
Maybe, I feel like Chandler was more explosive vertically but Bamba's reach kind of makes that irrelevant. Bamba moves very well laterally for a big man.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:Drafting Bamba will almost certify McDs exit. He’ll be yet another player in the Chriss-Bender-Jackson mold who comes in and fails to move the needle at all. He may be a great defensive player, but in today’s NBA that big man is not making that much of a difference on the performance of a team, especially in the playoffs
Curious who you are a fan of in this draft?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
Young
Trade. I'm not interested in mediocre talent. Porter has serious back issues, which IMO = Do not draft. Sexton is a ball-stopper who does not shoot well and we've already been there, done that with Bledsoe. Not interested in raw big men (Bamba). Definitely don't want another power forward that would be marginally better than Chriss or Bender. If it's Bagley, SURE.