Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Post by SDC »

how about a black commisioner in the future?
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1176 ... mmissioner

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Phoenix219 wrote:It will be absolutely disgusting if Magic ends up owning the team over this.
Magic Johnson is wealthy, but he doesn't have enough money to buy an NBA team. It'd be Magic plus a partnership of billionaires.

Why would it be bad if Magic and his group owned the Lakers "over this"?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That NAACP thing was basically a money grab. He gave them money, so they agreed to give him an award in turn. It's embarrassing, but it is how organizations seem to do business these days. Sad.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:That NAACP thing was basically a money grab. He gave them money, so they agreed to give him an award in turn. It's embarrassing, but it is how organizations seem to do business these days. Sad.
I thoroughly hate any organization that tries to put one race above another, so it's extra satisfying to me to see these hypocritical turncoat fucks eat shit.

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

I see what he said as way wrong, but he does have a right to freedom of speach. He is the most honest man in the world, as wrong as he is. The old man is a racist, but was also set up to a degree.
His ex mistress set him up. Yes he deserves the hate, but the guy has the law behind him. I wish out of the NBA but not like this. What if you were recorded saying i hate my girls ex for be a n word or so on. Sorry to vent, i think he is wrong. On the other hand why isnt anyone punishing her for illegal phone tampering.
You sold me two quier giraffes

Doctor_G

Post by Doctor_G »

JeffreyLee wrote:I see what he said as way wrong, but he does have a right to freedom of speach. He is the most honest man in the world, as wrong as he is. The old man is a racist, but was also set up to a degree.
His ex mistress set him up. Yes he deserves the hate, but the guy has the law behind him. I wish out of the NBA but not like this. What if you were recorded saying i hate my girls ex for be a n word or so on. Sorry to vent, i think he is wrong. *On the other hand why isnt anyone punishing her for illegal phone tampering.*
This is a very different America then the one I was born into 50 yrs ago. Back then "political correctness" wasn't a rabid spreading disease with race baiting attached to all walks of life. America wasn't the new melting pot for entitlements (Govt freebies), and "rule of law" was adhered to significantly more than it is today. Nowadays we have *Politicians* (on both sides of the aisle) who decide which laws to enforce and which to disregard. Obama DID say, he would FUNDAMENTALY TRANSFORM America way back in 08. BOTH political parties are vehemently corrupt. DC needs a real good cleansing with a goal of bringing back our Republic to Constitutional law.

SDC

Post by SDC »

sterling "loves koreans"
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/090624

her real name was maria perez from san antonio
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... anges.html

Kidd Karma

Post by Kidd Karma »

Doctor_G wrote:
JeffreyLee wrote:I see what he said as way wrong, but he does have a right to freedom of speach. He is the most honest man in the world, as wrong as he is. The old man is a racist, but was also set up to a degree.
His ex mistress set him up. Yes he deserves the hate, but the guy has the law behind him. I wish out of the NBA but not like this. What if you were recorded saying i hate my girls ex for be a n word or so on. Sorry to vent, i think he is wrong. *On the other hand why isnt anyone punishing her for illegal phone tampering.*
This is a very different America then the one I was born into 50 yrs ago. Back then "political correctness" wasn't a rabid spreading disease with race baiting attached to all walks of life. America wasn't the new melting pot for entitlements (Govt freebies), and "rule of law" was adhered to significantly more than it is today. Nowadays we have *Politicians* (on both sides of the aisle) who decide which laws to enforce and which to disregard. Obama DID say, he would FUNDAMENTALY TRANSFORM America way back in 08. BOTH political parties are vehemently corrupt. DC needs a real good cleansing with a goal of bringing back our Republic to Constitutional law.
Supposedly the reason why she's not going to be busted for phone tampering is that Sterling asked her to record their conversation. Seems he's a bit senile and forgetful of what he's asked people to do. I remember during Al Davis' last 4-5 seasons that he'd be on the phone with an agent and they'd be talking contract, he'd cough like crazy, excuses himself and returns the call with where were we. Agent bumps the guaranteed money a million....Al responds deal. Now what happened to Sterling is crap, these tapes should never have been released.

Obama had his dreams, but with all the $$$ for his campaigns, he had promises to fulfill and his hands were tied....he did get his health care plan up....but it's more of the same more handouts than the government can afford to pay. Even the whole Solyndra loan/bankruptcy is crap, but the head of that ordeal was one of the men who rounded up big donors to Obama's campaign.

You remove those handouts, the economy slows down, crime picks up. The politicals are corrupt, when people see them hiding behind the law, it just slows down the whole process of getting correct again. Public funds spent at strip clubs, bars.....you got the Feds targeting one or 2 politicals a year....pretty close to entrapment if you ask me. Why blow years of public funds to get 1 or 2 officials? Death penalty needs to be enforced. Our country has gone soft.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Off topic, I thought about posting this in the comic book section, but I'll put it here for now. I am in an argument with someone on a message board concerning the new Flash TV show.... the family that produces one of the most iconic versions of the Flash has been, for demographics, changed races; I have a problem that it fundamentally changes the character (if they ever choose to use him) who is a very iconic pasty skinned redhead with freckles. Apparently I am a bigot and need to put the sheets over my head because I don't live in the real world, for wanting them to respect the source material. Its on imbd. Looking for opinions not arguments... :)

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I would agree with you, that everytime I see an original character's look "adapted", I feel resistance to watch it, but over the years I have found that every case must be judged on individual basis.

GOOD: The Avengers and the recent Spiderman movies, going "Ultimate" on their translations of Nick Fury and Elektro.

BAD: The X-Men throwing away the entire line up of suits in favor of standard black uniforms and even joking it about it.

The closest example of what I think you talk about, would be Nick Fury and I think he didn't suffer as much on his change (Likely the result of demographics applied to the movie franchise as well). He is not a character so deeply constructed as The Flash, but I would say that this version would be even more neutral to race other than looks because writers won't go as far as recurring to stereotypes in order to enforce the demographics ties.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

The Nick Fury thing is a bit different... the "Ultimate" version of Fury was originally based on Sam Jackson to begin with, and when he found it, he insisted on playing the character in the movies.

The Flash thing is somewhat complicated; the character in question is Wally West, the 90s Flash that replaced Barry Allen after he died. He is the nephew of the main love interest of the Flash they are basing the series on, and to a good chunk of people, he IS the Flash. The love interest in question had a change of race, which intrinsically alters the character if they ever choose to use him, OR requires plot gymnastics that make the race issue stand out much more.

I just don't see why everything has to be altered for "demographics." If they want an ethnically diverse cast, there are *plenty* of characters they can use, or create anew, but changing existing characters that have a *visual* identification just smacks of some sort of politically and/or demographic based agenda.

I don't think I'm going to even go back and continue the argument; I just know this place is usually much better for open minded discussion, and this thread felt relevent.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3107288/boa ... 223120?p=3

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I get bummed out when they change an iconic character to be a minority just so the cast will be more diverse. They did that in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; they made Ford Prefect black. Ford Prefect is NOT black. He most definitely is not "Mos Def". It was a horrible choice. That movie sucked 100 different ways, but that one stuck out like a sore thumb.

I do think movies should think about diversity in their casts, if only for the reason that you'll make more money if a more diverse audience wants to go see your movie, and they're more likely to want to see it if it has people of their race in it. But if you want that diversity and are also adhering to certain source material, try adding in other characters or something; don't feel a need to change existing iconic characters just for this reason.

I do think sometimes a particular adaptation of a classic work is intentionally different for effect. Like the current TV show "Sherlock" is set in modern times, with Holmes and Watson typing up emails and texting and so on. So in a case like that, fine, make Watson Korean and make Holmes a black guy if you really want to. Who cares, you aren't really trying to exactly match the source on that one. But if you are saying, "Hey, this is the Flash movie," then make it about the darn Flash, the one people expect.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Mori Chu wrote:I get bummed out when they change an iconic character to be a minority just so the cast will be more diverse. They did that in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; they made Ford Prefect black. Ford Prefect is NOT black. He most definitely is not "Mos Def". It was a horrible choice. That movie sucked 100 different ways, but that one stuck out like a sore thumb.
The character of Ford Prefect is not contingent upon his skin color. I don't get this argument at all. By this rationale, every single woman in every single comic book movie should have a 26 inch waist and sport DDs. And gentlemen...please, don't say what you want to say right now.

By the way, I'm back. Maybe not for long. Good to see you guys. Well, read you guys.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

First, I completely disagree that changing the race of a character fundamentally changes that character. I could on for days why the skin color of a character doesn't change who that character is but I'd rather not. If you casting for a TV show or movie, I am of the opinion you should cast the best actor or actress possible for that role regardless of what skin color they are. As for DC’s choice to make Wally West black, that was a choice I was okay with. Wally West is my flash. I love Barry Allen, but I grew up with Wally and he is and will always be my number one flash. Many of these comic characters were created in a time where making a main character black was taboo. To me, changing a character’s skin color isn't about making things more diverse for the sake of it but rather about making things accurate to the times we are living in, which would be recognizing the fact, we live in a great big melting pot made of different and mixed races. After reading the most recent flash though, the whole making Wally West black thing just seems fucked up now. Not because of making him black was a bad thing but because of how much of a stereotype they made him. How they are portraying Wally is pretty much how I would think George Zimmerman sees black teenagers, like wearing hoodies, doing graffiti, committing street crimes and talking in stereotype street lingo. I don’t mind making Wally West black, but the way they are writing him is hilariously bad.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

We'll have to agree to disagree on that part... characters from a visual medium like comics have always had that image associated with a character, and I don't see any way that changing such a fundamental part of a charcter is so easily excused. As for the rest of what you said.... my fucking god, are you serious?? They are actually changing the comics to match the crappy new tv show?? I haven't been willing to touch the Nu52 with a 10 foot pole, but I knew that Wally was so far missing from the "rebooted" universe. I had no idea that they had even brought him back.... but what you describe sounds like a travesty to the character. He exists in name only... they have completely killed OUR Wally West/Flash.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The NBA assigns an interim CEO for the Clippers:

http://news.yahoo.com/nba-picks-dick-pa ... nance.html
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Everyone is defending Magic for Sterling's "attack" - "he made a mistake! he's just human!" but don't like applying that same excuse to Sterling. And why is Lebron's opinion on league matters "news" ?? Magic is far from a good role model, and both Barkley and Jordan have been quoted saying incredibly racist things, themselves. There is no consistancy anywhere..... but what else is new?