2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JustWinBaby

Re: 2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:Really good to hear as this will be the deepest draft in memory. I wonder if any of these projections take Elfrid Payton into account. His facilitating last night resulted in a much faster pace for our team. The Suns posted season highs in field goal percentage (54.8) and points in the paint (66).
I hate to say anything good about a player I like because as soon as I do they seem to turn to shit. However I really liked Payton's whole demeanor on the court last night. As the great John Wooden (The Real one) said. Be quick but don't hurry, that is what I saw and liked about Payton. Quite frankly play like that could earn us some unforeseen wins in the near future. We really need to keep Chriss healthy and his minutes up, hear that Triano. He has the same skills as Rommel.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

We did it! Now we just have to keep our lead. A few more 40 point blowouts should do it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Wally_West wrote:Image
Go Suns - you can do this!

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

You guys do know that the year we need the number one and finish first in the tankathon we will drop down the draft. Don’t get your hopes up until those balls have been drawn!
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Toronto beat Miami last night, and the Heat are really struggling lately. Now in 8th in the east with the Pistons 2.5 games behind. At this point, it looks like Detroit should catch the heat for that last playoff spot. That pick could be in the 10-12 range pretty easily.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Probably more 12-14. There is a clear bottom 8. Knicks, Lakers, and hornets are pretty far behind the heat and look like 9-11. Still, I'll take the 12th pick.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

So many good guys will be there at 12. I've got my heart set on Shai G-A, but he keeps moving up. If the Heat drop a bit, maybe we can get him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

England Sun wrote:You guys do know that the year we need the number one and finish first in the tankathon we will drop down the draft. Don’t get your hopes up until those balls have been drawn!
That's a given, ES. But luckily it's a 5/6 player draft. If we can have the very best odds going in, I'll settle for our expected 4th pick. It's better than the 7th.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
England Sun wrote:You guys do know that the year we need the number one and finish first in the tankathon we will drop down the draft. Don’t get your hopes up until those balls have been drawn!
That's a given, ES. But luckily it's a 5/6 player draft. If we can have the very best odds going in, I'll settle for our expected 4th pick. It's better than the 7th.
Disagree with that sentiment. I think Ayton-Doncic-Bagley are a class above the rest. Difference between a cornerstone piece and a role player

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Disagree with that sentiment. I think Ayton-Doncic-Bagley are a class above the rest. Difference between a cornerstone piece and a role player
I think they Suns will end up with the worst record in the league (considering their upcoming schedule), and they would almost a virtual lock for 1-3 if they do.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I think they Suns will end up with the worst record in the league (considering their upcoming schedule), and they would almost a virtual lock for 1-3 if they do.
Assuming no ties, the team with the worst record has a 64% chance of a top-3 pick. Good odds, but not a "virtual lock."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, I did say almost!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
To me, Ayton and Doncic are in a tier above Bagley.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's so tough to judge, because we see so little of some of the players compared to others, but my top 3 is Doncic, Young, Jackson.

Ayton, Bagley, Carter, and Bamba are going to have to play off of great perimeter scorers. They can't be more that a 2nd star on a team.

I know nothing about Porter.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

O_Gardino wrote:Toronto beat Miami last night, and the Heat are really struggling lately. Now in 8th in the east with the Pistons 2.5 games behind. At this point, it looks like Detroit should catch the heat for that last playoff spot. That pick could be in the 10-12 range pretty easily.
Jury still out on this scenario for me. The Honeymoon period in Detroit seems to be over, they won 4 straight after the trade but now on a 4 game losing streak.
Heat did lose but Raptors been blowing out everyone recently and they played them tough last night.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Toronto beat Miami last night, and the Heat are really struggling lately. Now in 8th in the east with the Pistons 2.5 games behind. At this point, it looks like Detroit should catch the heat for that last playoff spot. That pick could be in the 10-12 range pretty easily.
Jury still out on this scenario for me. The Honeymoon period in Detroit seems to be over, they won 4 straight after the trade but now on a 4 game losing streak.
Heat did lose but Raptors been blowing out everyone recently and they played them tough last night.
I'm a Blake hater and a Spoelstra fan, but right now the heat are showing that they are a middling team. They've lost 8 of the last 11, including losses to the Kings and Magic. I just hope they don't turn it around.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

O_Gardino wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:
I'm a Blake hater and a Spoelstra fan, but right now the heat are showing that they are a middling team. They've lost 8 of the last 11, including losses to the Kings and Magic. I just hope they don't turn it around.
Fair enough :)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I think McD is going to trade that Heat pick. Just because it will be in demand and he is going to want more of a sure thing at that spot.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JCSunsfan wrote:I think McD is going to trade that Heat pick. Just because it will be in demand and he is going to want more of a sure thing at that spot.
I'm ok with that as long as the value is good.