With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

In2ition

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Hermen wrote:
In2ition wrote:
SDC wrote:rubio was drafted in 2009, but started playing only in 2011. good luck for the next two yrs sac atl.
Honestly, if I felt I was still a couple years away from the playoffs, it wouldn't stop me at all from drafting him, especially if you think he will significantly improve your team immediately. Let me build some more talent up before he gives me a big bump.
That's what the 6ers did. Well, except their guys were more or less injured.
Well look how hard it is for teams to get superstars to pair with other difference makers after they are picked. LeBron and AD are good recent examples. They got too good to quickly to get another star in the draft.
"lucky" for us that didn't happen with Booker.
Haha, yeah his ascent was unexpected and the tank was by design in spite of Booker's play.

Orlando got lucky jumping up to get help for Shaq even though they improved a ton. Chicago got lucky after improving with Noah.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

ShelC wrote:Might be nothing but:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2353 ... ext-season

I don't think he stays overseas, maybe he's sending a message that if we don't take him #1 he doesn't want to go to Sac or ATL?
Duffy has a great relationship with the Suns. This is our opportunity to grab BOTH Ayton and Doncic.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

I can't believe people are taking this Doncic thing seriously at all.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:Yesterday, I would have said Doncic. But today's reports about not being certain about coming over...if that is the case, regardless of what team is drafting him, then give me Ayton.
He wants to focus on the tournament in Europe instead of talking about the draft for now. I have no idea what the big deal is by his comments.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Nodack wrote:Shouldn’t he be real certain by draft time? Seems dumb to be so wishy washy this close to the draft.
His current team is still in the playoffs and is playing in the Final Four tomorrow. I don't think it's wishy washy for him to verbally reinforce his love for his current team in the middle of the playoff run - I think it shows good focus on the moment. Let's see what he says after the playoffs finish.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Yesterday, I would have said Doncic. But today's reports about not being certain about coming over...if that is the case, regardless of what team is drafting him, then give me Ayton.
He wants to focus on the tournament in Europe instead of talking about the draft for now. I have no idea what the big deal is by his comments.
This.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is exactly what McD said about it. Said it would be awkward and poor timing for Doncic to announce he was leaving real Madrid during the final four/playoffs of ACB.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

BTW, tomorrow Doncic is facing off against a really good Moscow team lead by Sergio Rodriguez. Yes, that Sergio. Should be a very good PG dual.

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:BTW, tomorrow Doncic is facing off against a really good Moscow team lead by Sergio Rodriguez. Yes, that Sergio. Should be a very good PG dual.
Really? Who is Real Madrid's PG? :lol:
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:
You could be right. I was surprised though because I didn't even know there was even a question of it.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Is it possible all the signs pointing towards drafting Ayton are a smokescreen to get someone to trade up and let us pick up an additional asset and still draft Doncic?

Picking 1 I'd take Ayton right now, but I don't think he's an obvious pick and think there are 5 or 6 guys that could realistically end up the best player in this draft. I wouldn't hate trading down if it meant getting a valuable asset.

I'm no expert though and we should just draft our guy #1 if we think he's clearly the best guy.

Split T

Re: Ayton, or Doncic, that is the question...

Post by Split T »

Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I'm about 65/35 in favor of Doncic right now. Doncic does so many things on the floor that would really open up the offense. And I think the Suns can get someone who's at least 80% of Ayton elsewhere, or maybe we get lucky Chriss/Bender figure it out under a permanent coaching staff.
Hmmm, I think it might be easier to get someone who can do 80% of what Doncic does. I'm probably 70-25-5 in favor of Ayton, with Bagley holding a little hope, haha.

I'm changing my opinion, haha. I go as follows:

Ayton - 50%
Doncic - 25%
Bagley - 10%
Bamba - 10%
Porter - 3%
JJJ - 2%

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/colezwicker/status/997325835223760896

The more I read about Bamba, the more intrigued I get. The article last week on the ringer detailing his training regimen was really nice to hear. I didn't love what I saw in the few games I watched him, but I'm also no expert talent evaluator. I think if I could come away with any two players from this draft I'd go Bamba and Doncic.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

O_Gardino wrote:
Nodack wrote:Shouldn’t he be real certain by draft time? Seems dumb to be so wishy washy this close to the draft.
His current team is still in the playoffs and is playing in the Final Four tomorrow. I don't think it's wishy washy for him to verbally reinforce his love for his current team in the middle of the playoff run - I think it shows good focus on the moment. Let's see what he says after the playoffs finish.
This weekend he plays in the Euroleague final 4. After that the ACB playoffs start so it's possible his season ends after the NBA draft. I don't think there's much of a chance he won't come over to the NBA next year but he may use that option to influence who drafts him, as Woj said.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The fact that Doncic's agent is suddenly talking about maybe not coming over this year tells me that we've indicated to his camp that we're taking Ayton. Because before that, all indications were that he would be thrilled to pair Doncic with Igor Kokoskov.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I'd be extremely surprised if we don't pick Ayton.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Hermen wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
This weekend he plays in the Euroleague final 4. After that the ACB playoffs start so it's possible his season ends after the NBA draft. I don't think there's much of a chance he won't come over to the NBA next year but he may use that option to influence who drafts him, as Woj said.
That's the problem with the draft.
For europeans, that's so unnatural. Here, people choose where they want to go, they can refuse to be traded, etc. They are considered like workers, and so they're free to sign a contract, break it with compensations (there's some kind of gentlemen agreement between clubs).

As an exemple, there's Laurent Ciman in the MLS. He is a fan favorite in my beloved club, but left for the MLS and specifically for Montreal, because they're on top for autism care (and his daughter is). That was the reason. And it was a real shock for him to be traded to LA.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:The fact that Doncic's agent is suddenly talking about maybe not coming over this year tells me that we've indicated to his camp that we're taking Ayton. Because before that, all indications were that he would be thrilled to pair Doncic with Igor Kokoskov.
At the risk of repeating myself, isn't this exactly what you would expect if the Suns and Duffy were teaming up to get Doncic into Phoenix along with Ayton? Watch and see.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:Is it possible all the signs pointing towards drafting Ayton are a smokescreen to get someone to trade up and let us pick up an additional asset and still draft Doncic?

Picking 1 I'd take Ayton right now, but I don't think he's an obvious pick and think there are 5 or 6 guys that could realistically end up the best player in this draft. I wouldn't hate trading down if it meant getting a valuable asset.

I'm no expert though and we should just draft our guy #1 if we think he's clearly the best guy.
Very possible it's a smoke screen.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:

https://twitter.com/colezwicker/status/997325835223760896

The more I read about Bamba, the more intrigued I get. The article last week on the ringer detailing his training regimen was really nice to hear. I didn't love what I saw in the few games I watched him, but I'm also no expert talent evaluator. I think if I could come away with any two players from this draft I'd go Bamba and Doncic.
Bamba was my biggest fear in November, but now I think he will be one of the best 2 bigs in this draft. He doesn't have the raw strength or footwork of Ayton, but he has great hands and is so aware of the whole floor.