NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Post by Wally_West »

Thoughts on Bradley Beal as a target in the offseason?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:40 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:28 pm
Love is such a bad idea
It depends on how much we give up. I know the cap hit is likely to be harsh in a few years, but in the long run we all be dead. The league has become a 2years horizon game, planning for more than that is almost useless except on draft picks.
The cap hit is crushing...it’s not just harsh. Love isn’t worth it anymore. He doesn’t make us a contender. He might make us an 8th seed next year, but how do we improve that team any further?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:48 pm
Thoughts on Bradley Beal as a target in the offseason?
I love Beal. Don’t think we can get him. Don’t think Washington is moving him either.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

That’s why I don’t want to give this year’s 1st round pick up. This is the last year, at least in theory, to have a lottery pick. A lottery pick, especially if it somehow winds up in the top 3, opens up so many possibilities to upgrade the roster in a meaningful way.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

We don’t have the ammo to add a third star, and the clock is ticking on putting a capable team around Booker. We would be easily higher than 8th if the injury bug didn’t hit us like it did. Since the beginning PF was the weaker link, so I think Love in the starting 5 and Saric as his primary backup would do wonders for us, even for a second round matchup. I agree, beyond that, is wild imagination, but we first need to be in the conversation, making the playoffs and some noise for a couple years would allow us to finally start getting attention from free agents. By then, we can either do a sign and trade using Love’s contract or stretch the hell out of him.

Being a bubble second round team is awful, I know, but we are on an even worst situation right now, unless we lose the playoffs and proceed to win the lottery. If this doesn’t happen, we are doom to mediocrity even if Ayton and Booker take another step.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I want to keep Booker happy but what would make him most happy is to ensemble a team that would put us in contention. Making a play for Love is just kicking can down the road for in regards to booker and his happiness. We’ll go to the playoffs maybe but we’ll never be more that a first round exit team. Taking on injury prone Love and his horrendous contract will alway limit what this team can be. So instead of Booker demanding to be traded in a year he will do it 3 years later and we are back to rebuilding and suffering through lottery teams again. No desperate moves.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:08 pm
We don’t have the ammo to add a third star, and the clock is ticking on putting a capable team around Booker. We would be easily higher than 8th if the injury bug didn’t hit us like it did. Since the beginning PF was the weaker link, so I think Love in the starting 5 and Saric as his primary backup would do wonders for us, even for a second round matchup. I agree, beyond that, is wild imagination, but we first need to be in the conversation, making the playoffs and some noise for a couple years would allow us to finally start getting attention from free agents. By then, we can either do a sign and trade using Love’s contract or stretch the hell out of him.

Being a bubble second round team is awful, I know, but we are on an even worst situation right now, unless we lose the playoffs and proceed to win the lottery. If this doesn’t happen, we are doom to mediocrity even if Ayton and Booker take another step.
The Thunder are 10 games ahead of us at 7, you think we win 10 more games without injuries? I don’t think we’d be anywhere near 7th

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:08 pm

The Thunder are 10 games ahead of us at 7, you think we win 10 more games without injuries? I don’t think we’d be anywhere near 7th
Without the injuries and the suspension I think we would be right there.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Here’s a couple things to keep in mind.

We had one if the worst records last year and ended up falling to 7th. We’re not getting a top 3 pick this year.

We don’t draft worth a crap. Recent draft history is awful. We don’t even really have scouts.

This years draft is weak. Holding on to this pick to probably draft 10th doesn’t move the needle for this team.

We only get third tier free agents. Saving cap space only gets us a shot at leftovers.

The trade deadline is the one time of the year where we have a somewhat level playing field. If we have a chance to Acquire someone who could make an impact we have to do it now.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

This year is lost in terms of playoffs, but TJ’s contract would turn into smoke as well, we can’t keep Baynes, Saric and a 1st rounder and then proceed to sign a difference maker, that’s why getting someone like Love makes some degree of sense depending on what we send besides Tyler.

Let’s say we send Frank, TJ and Cam Johnson for Kevin, and keep our pick if it’s top 10. We could field a Rubio-Booker-Oubre-Love- Ayton lineup with Okobo, Bridges, Saric and Baynes coming from the bench. We get a chance to close hard the year looking what we got on Baynes and Saric playing their natural roles, and then going into the offseason looking for continuity and internal growth from our supossed Stars, and a defined supporting cast on Rubio, Oubre, Bridges, Okobo and Love. Resign Baynes if worthy, draft the best talent available without swing for the fences and call it a year.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

djy2j wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 pm
Here’s a couple things to keep in mind.

We had one if the worst records last year and ended up falling to 7th. We’re not getting a top 3 pick this year.

We don’t draft worth a crap. Recent draft history is awful. We don’t even really have scouts.

This years draft is weak. Holding on to this pick to probably draft 10th doesn’t move the needle for this team.

We only get third tier free agents. Saving cap space only gets us a shot at leftovers.

The trade deadline is the one time of the year where we have a somewhat level playing field. If we have a chance to Acquire someone who could make an impact we have to do it now.
All of the above are completely along the line of thought that fuels my recents posts. Very well said Sir.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Last edited by djy2j on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Houston also getting Jordan Bell and a 2nd.

Split T

Post by Split T »

So Houston gives up Capela and a 1st for Covington. They’re going all in on small ball. PJ is their starting C.

Not a bad trade for Minny. They get the nets pick and Beasley/Hernangomez for Covington. More firepower for a D-Lo trade I guess.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Is this gonna be the largest trade in history? Players just keep getting added, haha

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Yeah I added a few more tweets to the initial post. A lot of movement

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think I’m counting 12 players?

Houston out: Capela, Nene, Green, 1st
Houston in: Covington, Bell, 2nd

Minny out: Covington, Vonleh, Napier, Bates-Diop, Bell
Minny in: Beasley, Hernangomez, Vanderbilt, Turner, 1st

Atlanta out: Turner, 1st
Atlanta in: Capela, Nene

Denver out: Beasley, Hernangomez, Vanderbilt
Denver in: Vonleh, Napier, 1st

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Green in Denver.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Hmm

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ATL made a great trade.

MIN still no PG after this, I bet they have not lost all hope in adding DLo. Losing KBD in this deal would irk me.

HOU has a problem with the new owner very much like we had/have with Sarver, but adding Bell to the deal is a nice touch.

DEN made a pretty good little move here. That extra 1stR is great to have when you are trying to contend, and the two guys they add can prove to be meaningful depth.