Suns 2022 Preseason News and Notes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns 2022 Preseason News and Notes

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:56 am
My guess is he just needs to hold the ball in his hands more and isn't as comfortable trying to just be a catch-and-shoot guy.
I think he is perfectly fine being a catch and shoot guy; the problem is that it is very easy for him to disappear in that role. Running the point engages him more.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:29 pm
If there’s one thing we’re missing it’s more short guards.

(Saben Lee is not bad)
Elfrid Payton Reloaded.

Split T

Post by Split T »

So preseason is over…if I had to guess I think our depth chart looks like this:

PG: CP3, Payne, DWJ
SG: Booker, Shamet
SF: Bridges, Lee, Okogie
PF: Johnson, Craig, Wainright
C: Ayton, Landale, Biyombo

Left Saric off as I’ve really got no clue where he’s at, but seems like 3rd string at best. Outside shot to snag that 2nd string PF role, but he feels like a trade piece to me. I’ll be surprised if he’s on our roster beyond the deadline. Left Crowder off for obvious reasons as well.

The starting 5 is obvious. I’d say the next two most obvious roles would be Landale at backup 5 and Payne at backup 1. I’d guess we see Shamet and Craig in the rotation to start the season, with Lee slightly edging out Okogie for the 10th spot. I think we’ll see 10 guys play.

Craig and Lee seem like the weakest links in the rotation and hopefully we find someone to replace one or both of them in a Crowder trade. I’m happy with the 3rd string depth. It’s just that we also have a lot of 3rd stringers on our 2nd string.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I have a feeling that Landale will see more time than Craig, meaning he will be getting some time at the 4.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Adonis Arms has an interesting story. I'm not sure I understand why he couldn't get on the floor last night with our shorthanded team.

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:21 pm
Adonis Arms has an interesting story. I'm not sure I understand why he couldn't get on the floor last night with our shorthanded team.

They were short hands, not Arms.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:21 pm

I hope he's right, but think it's just wishful thinking at this point. He has a lot of lower body movement in his jump shot, which adds variables and tends to be something that adds inconsistency in my experience. I haven't seen how his court vision, court awareness or bballiq are from these clips. I hope he's right and this is a hidden gem, but not going to hold my breath. Thinking closer to Archie Goodwin or Jalen Lecque than House or PJ Tucker type.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ESPN Insider but Marks goes into the rookie extension deadline coming up on Monday

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Interesting.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d give Washington the roster spot.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:39 am
I’d give Washington the roster spot.
I think ultimately they'll both be converted after the Crowder situation is sorted out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Very possible…

In other news, we know where Dario was

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:25 am
ESPN Insider but Marks goes into the rookie extension deadline coming up on Monday
I'd be curious to know what he said about Johnson.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:33 am
Very possible…

In other news, we know where Dario was
I glad he's not a half father.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:47 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:25 am
I'd be curious to know what he said about Johnson.
Here ya go:
With Jae Crowder requesting a trade, Johnson is in line to start along with Chris Paul, Devin Booker, Mikal Bridges and Deandre Ayton. Last season, those five played 42 minutes together, and the Suns recorded a plus-29.5 net efficiency in those limited minutes.

In 16 starts last season, Johnson averaged 16.3 points on 49% from 3 compared to 11.2 points in his 50 games off the bench. According to Cleaning the Glass, Johnson played 68% of his minutes at power forward last season. Johnson shot 43.3% on catch-and-shoot 3-pointers last season, third best among 73 players with 250 attempts per Second Spectrum tracking, trailing only Luke Kennard and Desmond Bane.

Why a deal might get done: Let's start with leverage. The Suns all but handed the starting power forward job to Johnson with the news that Crowder would sit out training camp while awaiting a trade. Johnson's stats -- and thus his future salary -- will likely only increase with a full-time role this season. The Ayton saga aside, the Suns' front office has also been aggressive in the past in signing their own players to extensions, reaching deals with both Mikal Bridges and Landry Shamet last year.

Why there might be no extension: Does the Suns front office have the authority to spend into the future? That question will get answered by Monday. Owner Robert Sarver is not only suspended for the season, but the Suns are now for sale. There is also the thought that Johnson could bet on himself if he is not willing to compromise on a new contract. Johnson projects to be one of the top forwards in next year's free agent class.

The new contract: Do not expect a new Johnson contract to surpass the four-year, $90 million extension that Bridges agreed to last October, even with the cap increasing. Bridges had 160 career starts at the time of the extension, compared to 36 for Johnson. However, do not be surprised if the Johnson contract is in the four-year, $85 million range with a starting salary of $19 million. Based on a $134 million salary cap, the salary in the first year is comparable to Davis Bertans, Duncan Robinson and Marcus Morris Sr.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Don’t know how reliable this guy is

Indy

Post by Indy »

Melo would be a good guy to have on our bench.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The bar is really low when it comes to our second unit, so I would be ok with Melo. But it all comes back to what is happening on the Crowder front. If a 1 for 2 deal is on the table for Crowder, then there isn't room for Melo.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »