How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Kryptonic

Re: How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Post by Kryptonic »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:12 am
JeremyG wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 10:04 am
So much bad news in this Haynes article this morning:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... e-and-more
Suns Likely to Bring Back Chris Paul

The Phoenix Suns are likely to guarantee the full salary of star guard Chris Paul for the 2023-24 season, league sources tell Bleacher Report.

Paul, 38, is only guaranteed $15.8 million of his $30.8 million wage if he were to be waived by the June 28 deadline. Phoenix still maintains some flexibility with the decision, but the franchise is currently of the mindset that Paul will open up next season as the team's starting point guard, sources say.

The 12-time All-Star suffered a left groin strain in Game 2 of the second-round series versus the Denver Nuggets and was not able to make a return. The Suns were eliminated in six. Had the series been extended to Game 7, Paul would have been cleared for that contest, sources say.
Bringing him back doesn't make any sense.
It makes zero sense... He's not reliable come play off time and makes too much money. The only way it works is if he takes a major pay cut and accepts being a roll player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:07 am
Split T wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:34 am
The only issue is they can’t really pay Westbrook.
Who is offering Westbrook a starting job and more than MLE? I'm not sure Westbrook has a suitor out there that will offer more than the MLE. So he will have to choose between LAC's TP-MLE and probably Chicago's MLE.
I don’t think the clippers even have the TPMLE, they are over the 2nd apron

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't believe that penalty goes into effect until 2024.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Possibly…I’m not sure what they are implementing for this year and what they are waiting on

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:14 am
Maybe the Paul stuff is just smoke to get other teams interested.
I think that's likely. Other teams are trying to wait the Suns out, hoping we'll waive CP3 and they can sign him on the cheap without giving up any assets. We are trying to signal that he still has value to us so they'll make us interesting offers. What will be interesting is if the July 1 date approaches and we don't have a good deal lined up. Would we waive and stretch him? It's pretty crazy to pay ~ $35m to just make Monty and CP3 go away with nothing in return. Not sure how we fix this roster unless we can find a way to add a great coach and some reasonably priced talent and depth.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The report is coming from Chris Haynes, which means the source is Chris Paul. It's clearly in Paul's best interest to not get traded and receive the $15M not guaranteed on the last year of his deal.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:04 am
Split T wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:02 am
Hart would have to pick up his player option. I’d love that deal…think it would be more likely NY would want to include RJ Barrett instead.
I don't think NY is giving up Josh Hart. And they wouldn't include RJ in a deal for Donovan Mitchell; they're definitely not moving him for Ayton.

The best we're probably getting out of NY is a package of Mitchell Robinson, Evan Fournier, Obi Toppin, Immanuel Quickley, and a pick.
This is accurate, and I also don't think the Knicks would have much interest in spending their collection of spare parts on Deandre Ayton.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Best you'd get is Mitch, Fournier and Toppin. No IQ and probably no picks.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Coincidentally, I'd only want IQ and a pick. Mitch and Toppin are fine, but clearly a level lower in value than IQ.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:58 pm
The report is coming from Chris Haynes, which means the source is Chris Paul. It's clearly in Paul's best interest to not get traded and receive the $15M not guaranteed on the last year of his deal.
Suns can’t really trade him without guaranteeing the 15 million. He only counts for his guaranteed money going out when being traded. So we’d have to trade him for someone who can take 15 extra million into space.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

So is John Stockton pretty much the only point guard in NBA history who retained his Effectiveness into his late 30s?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 3:58 pm
So is John Stockton pretty much the only point guard in NBA history who retained his Effectiveness into his late 30s?
Kendall Marshall played like he was in his late 30s. Does that count?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Kidd was playing and pretty effective until about 36-37, same with Steve Nash.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

TOO wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 4:09 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
But who was better, Kendall Marshall or Archie Goodwin?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 4:25 pm
TOO wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tyler Ennis

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

ShelC wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 4:30 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
TOO wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tyler Ennis
Yuta Tabuse…. I hear Devin booker called to ask him if he could wear #1 when he got drafted.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
TOO wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tyler Ulis.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:34 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:14 am
Maybe the Paul stuff is just smoke to get other teams interested.
I think that's likely. Other teams are trying to wait the Suns out, hoping we'll waive CP3 and they can sign him on the cheap without giving up any assets. We are trying to signal that he still has value to us so they'll make us interesting offers. What will be interesting is if the July 1 date approaches and we don't have a good deal lined up. Would we waive and stretch him? It's pretty crazy to pay ~ $35m to just make Monty and CP3 go away with nothing in return. Not sure how we fix this roster unless we can find a way to add a great coach and some reasonably priced talent and depth.
Trade is happening, this is the Suns trying to preserve leverage in a trade

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
He did well in a significantly reduced role in an era where 3 point volume wasn't as important (even though he was a good shooter). Kidd developed into a competent, spot-up 3-point threat. Paul has been mediocre or worse since turning 37 and he doesn't seem comfortable with either the reduced role or playing off the ball. Going into next season with him taking up 20% of the cap as our starting PG is pretty negligent.

(I know, I know, our roster isn't complete until the trade deadline. That approach didn't work out well for us this season.)

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:33 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
He did well in a significantly reduced role in an era where 3 point volume wasn't as important (even though he was a good shooter). Kidd developed into a competent, spot-up 3-point threat. Paul has been mediocre or worse since turning 37 and he doesn't seem comfortable with either the reduced role or playing off the ball. Going into next season with him taking up 20% of the cap as our starting PG is pretty negligent.

(I know, I know, our roster isn't complete until the trade deadline. That approach didn't work out well for us this season.)
Negligent is putting it nicely, its absolute buffoonery.