2023 Coaching Search

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Kryptonic

Re: 2023 Coaching Search

Post by Kryptonic »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:43 am
I don't know what makes me think this, but I think James Jones himself might be a dark horse candidate.
Now that could be interesting! Not sure what I think about him as a coach but as someone who has a lot of passion for the game he might do well.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Steve Kerr?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I would rather try James Jones than Kevin Young. Also, we could bring in Bob Myers to replace Jones as GM.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would not try James Jones at coach…he’s never coached before. That’s dumb. Kevin Young would be a way better choice.

My guess is we are trying to get Lue and if we can’t we’ll go with Young.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:58 am
Steve Kerr?
That's who I was thinking of when talking about Jones as coach. Worked out pretty well for him.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:10 am
I would not try James Jones at coach…he’s never coached before. That’s dumb. Kevin Young would be a way better choice.

Kerr had never coached before either.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Fair…guess we really don’t know, but chances are better he’s not Kerr

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:10 am

I think you're right and in some ways it feels a bit like the Durant pursuit last summer. We are going after the Rolls Royce option, a guy who we believe is dissatisfied with his current situation (Durant was more explicit about it) in the hope of prizing him away. In doing so we will likely miss out on many of the other good coaches ( 4 have won championships) that are available and have to settle for the scraps (in this case an untested HC who was part of the previous regime). I hope I'm wrong but it would be true to form for the Sun's if it played out this way.

As I said in a previous post, existing assistants can make great appointments for HC but given the limited 2 year window we have with Book and KD (and maybe Paul if we bring him back for one last hurrah) it seems like a real gamble when 'better' options are available without the need to steal them away from their existing organisation.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Doc Rivers Linked to Suns and Bucks by NBA Execs After Being Fired by 76ers

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... d-by-76ers
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Eh, looks like they listed us as an option strictly because of the unpredictability of our new ownership. They aren’t reporting anything, just guessing

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think people do favors for coaching candidates and their agents. They put out a lot of "Team X is 'looking at' Coach Y" messages to help raise the stature and legitimacy of various coaches in the market. This is especially true for assistants who want to make the leap to being a head coach.

I had some issues with Monty, but if we replace him with some green assistant or some loser like Doc Rivers, I just don't know what I'll do. The impatience and impulsiveness of our team leadership are really starting to worry me.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Monty's biggest weakness was exposed when Willie Green went to New Orleans. No one seemed to do anything about. Not sure if it Monty's job or the organizations to hire assistant coaches.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I like Willie Green, but we did win 64 games the year after he left. We still blew a 2-0 finals lead with Willie Green.

I think we just didn’t have the talent(or didn’t develop/use the talent we had).

We got a nice break through the west playoffs in 2021 due to injury and then we lost to Milwaukee because Jrue neutralized Chris and we were left with Book trying to outscore Giannis. Giannis is better and Milwaukee won. They also had a 3rd guy step up(Jrue and Khris). Our 3rd guys didn’t(Ayton or Mikal).

We do probably win that series if we have 2023 Mikal.

Dallas was just more of the same problem except Chris was neutralized by age/injury/covid(take your pick) and no one else stepped up(Mikal/Ayton). And Dallas not having to guard Chris either meant they could focus all their efforts on Book.

So we were one guy short, but it was 2023 Mikal(Or hypothetical Ayton) that we needed, not Willie Green.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Suggesting James Jones become the head coach is not what I expected to read while drinking my morning coffee.

My only question is, what are you guys drinking to come up with that galaxy brained idea?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

We should make CP3 coach and restructure his deal. JJ Redick can be assistant coach. CP3 can call him "bubs" all the time.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 1:23 pm
Suggesting James Jones become the head coach is not what I expected to read while drinking my morning coffee.

My only question is, what are you guys drinking to come up with that galaxy brained idea?
Did you spit out your coffee?

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I poured over my head to make sure I could still feel something.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:37 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 1:23 pm

Did you spit out your coffee?
It popped into my head that if Ishbia wants Bob Meyers to come be GM, maybe JJ agrees to be the head coach. I don't know, I just get the vibes that something has already been worked out to some extent, and that wouldn't be the case if someone like Lue was next in line.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Why would Jones want the the demotion and the grind that comes with said demotion? If anything I'd think Myers would come for the B-Ops position if he can get it. Be Jones' boss and pick his own guy if he doesn't like him.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

I have a feeling Ishbia is going for the home run of Meyers and Lue coming in together, with Jones still being onboard as well.