USA Basketball

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: USA Basketball

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, 1:30-5:30 am is awfully early though. I've been lucky enough to catch some of it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't watch the daily sports news stuff, but don't let them sell you on a poor game for the USA if they try.

I wrote that it wasn't a good game from the Americans, but they still won by 12 against a team that could've beaten anyone besides Luka tonight.

The USA has the most talent 1-12, but several nations can put out a five man squad to compete with the USA's five and so far their best player through 4 games has been Reaves or Haliburton. The tea leaves are starting to spell out a gold medal match between Slovenia and the USA and we'll get a really interesting test of Luka's greatness if that's the case.

Edit: I thought more about who's been the best American player so far and I'd probably rank them..

1. Reaves
2. Brunson
3/4. Mikal/Haliburton
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think you're right. Reaves has been really impressive in this run. I can't believe that a team didn't try to pry him away from the Lakers with a $100 million contract offer. The Lakers are going to be a problem, obviously. (I hate that)
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lakers would have matched, but someone should have made LA pay…or Reaves agent should have gotten someone to get him that contract in exchange for a favor.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Pretty funny that this team has 3 guys playing huge roles (JJJ, Mikal, Reaves) who're on 3 of the best value contracts in the league.
Last edited by Flagrant Fowl on Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, I think you're right, but not doing so really did the Lakers a big favor, by being able to sign him for much less. At this rate, his offer should have been near $150 million or whatever his Max would have been. The Spurs had the money, and Reaves would have really helped them and Wemby be successful quicker, imo.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

We'll never know for sure and history tells us these guys always sign for the most money, but are we sure Reaves was all that into leaving LA for San Antonio?

Why wouldn't he be able to make up the hypothetical salary difference just by being Laker? The guy has a signature shoe in China and the Manila crowd went into a frenzy every time he touched the ball for like 6 straight quarters this week. Keldon Johnson isn't getting that kind of attention. (Reaves is better than Keldon, but I hope you get the idea...) From Reaves' perspective, I think it's working out exactly how he planned.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:31 am
We'll never know for sure and history tells us these guys always sign for the most money, but are we sure Reaves was all that into leaving LA for San Antonio?

Why wouldn't he be able to make up the hypothetical salary difference just by being Laker? The guy has a signature shoe in China and the Manila crowd went into a frenzy every time he touched the ball for like 6 straight quarters this week. From his perspective, I think it's working out exactly how he planned.
Yeah, he probably didn't want to leave LA, but why wouldn't he have wanted LA to give him more money? There is a distinct advantage of being a great white hope and playing for the Laker's world wide brand.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:58 pm
That's a slippery slope and I'm always in favor of autonomy.

Do you think Taiwan (err, Chinese Taipei :| ) should be allowed to form their own teams for international competition?
That's a completely different situation. This is an undisputed territory, where the majority even voted for statehood in the last election.

I don't really care one way or the other, I was just wondering why the international organizations (IOC, FIBA, etc.) allow it. And it seems kind of weird to have (solely-) American citizens competing against America.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They may have voted for statehood, but they were not granted it. They have a some level of independence from the us government. They don’t vote in general elections, they have no representation in Congress. I would assume if you met someone from Puerto Rico and you asked their nationality, most would say Puerto Rican, not American. It may not be like Taiwan, but it’s closer to Taiwan than it is to say Texas forming a fiba World Cup team. I’m all in favor of letting Puerto Rico compete internationally.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:45 am
No worries.

Such a shame that more people in NA aren't seeing these games live. It's been a great tournament.
I’m on a European vacation but I’ve been enjoying the updates. Keep them coming!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I wouldn’t be shocked if Lithuania won tonight’s game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Latvia was in a first group with Canada and France and a second group with Spain but still has a chance to enter the knockout as the top team from that part of the bracket. Incredible stuff from them and such a fun team to watch.

Pretty wild 1st quarter timeout for the Germans against Sloveina. Luka is kicking their ass and this happened on the bench.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This Slovenia v. Germany game is crazy. Slovenia won the first quarter 25-11, Germany the second quarter 27-9. Luka is hobbling around and clearly doesn't have the same bounce, and Schroder is cooking pretty much anyone trying to stay in front of him.

Going into these games I've thought Luka would be the biggest hurdle for the Americans, but once again I'm being reminded of how he has a tendency to wear down and leave his team hopeless.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:32 am
Latvia was in a first group with Canada and France and a second group with Spain but still has a chance to enter the knockout as the top team from that part of the bracket. Incredible stuff from them and such a fun team to watch.

Pretty wild 1st quarter timeout for the Germans against Sloveina. Luka is kicking their ass and this happened on the bench.

Yeah shout out to Latvia
No Porzingis but don't seem to be phased at all

Well we all know how Dennis can be so no surprise there
They have settled down tho
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I just properly read the tournament format
Didn't know so much basketball is left to be played.....

Much like Latvia, I think Lithuania playing solid stuff all tourney so interested to see how they fare today against US
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

What a turn around for the Germans, now up 17 in the third quarter. Schroder is a menace and Isaac Bonga just pick pocketed Luka for a fast break dunk. I don't know if they could beat the US without Franz, but they sure as hell would give the Americans a tough game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:55 am
Well we all know how Dennis can be so no surprise there
I've not been an advocate for Schroder in recent years, but I think the coach screwed up here. I don't know what Schroder and Theis were talking about in German, but the coach didn't need to grab him like that.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JJJ with 2 fouls in under 3 minutes to start the game and Valenciunas gave him the CP3 rip thru for the second foul.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Americans are getting run out in the first quarter, down 23-10 at the first timeout.

Hart started in place of Ingram again, and Brunson and Edwards couldn't provide the scoring to match the Lithuanians hot (wide open) shooting.