Around the League: September

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Around the League: September

Post by SDC »

zach lowe tweets

(Billy) King on Ferry: “I have known him since we were 15 years old. He is like a brother to me and he is the furthest thing from a racist.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Masai Ujiri (who is African) wrote an article defending Ferry and urging forgiveness:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/b ... e20558085/

Cap

Post by Cap »

Apparently, Ferry is still using the somebody else said it first defense. (A redacted version of the report in question has been leaked, likely by Ferry or someone loyal to him.)

LazarusLong, I owe you an apology. I said your analogy was ridiculous because I took Ferry's explanation at face value and it hadn't been contradicted. With my current understanding of the situation, I think Ferry's explanation was bullshit and your analogy was quite reasonable.
LazarusLong wrote:If a group of us are talking and somebody call's another person's wife a c-nt and I start repeating to others outside the group that so-and-so's wife is a c-nt, it gets me off the hook that supposedly the slur didn't originate with me? Really?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

My analogy WAS a bit over the top.

Apology accepted, but really not needed. We were just having a healthy, lively discourse. 8-)
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I quite often don't agree with Whitlock, but this one had me rolling.

https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/510222252009590784

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Ferry on indefinite leave and it looks like he was paraphrasing a scouting report.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 51704.html

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I am sorry. This seems to be overblown to me. Is there any clear evidence that what he said he meant in a derogatory way? Was he reading something that was written out loud. If he was reading and summarizing, it would be very easy to be saying what someone else wrote rather than your own intent. This has really become a witch hunt type of society.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

The Miami Heat signed Khem Birch. Wish we could have signed him.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I wonder if the league is taking this too far. Levenson went no further than something that is done by many businesses, segment the population and target the highest revenue-yielding group. Indeed, he even called out the racist attitudes of his target audience. I do not believe that private businesses in a non-regulated sector ought to be forced to target less profitable segments in the name of political correctness. Now, if this were a core economic sector receiving government support and/or regulation (e.g. banking) -- or a government agency (i.e. a police department using racial profiling) -- it would be a completely different story.

I don't know what to think of the Ferry situation. I would be deeply troubled by a scouting report calling someone an African in such a derogatory manner.

Not sure if my distinctions make sense.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Overall the combination of the two incidents doesn't make the Hawks look like a very racially enlightened organization.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Slightly off-topic:

Arizona Republican Party vice chairman Russell Pearce resigned his positions after receiving flack for offensive comments he made on his radio show, and is using the Danny Ferry defense:
Russell Pearce wrote:I shared comments written by someone else and failed to attribute them to the author.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What were the comments?

Also, LOL @ your sig.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:What were the comments?
In part:
You put me in charge of Medicaid, the first thing I’d do is get Norplant, birth-control implants, or tubal ligations…Then we’ll test recipients for drugs and alcohol, and if you want to [reproduce] or use drugs or alcohol, then get a job.
:shock:
Also, LOL @ your sig.
Thanks.

SDC

Post by SDC »

why did he resign over that?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:Manute Bol was such an unusual and unique NBA player. I'd love to have his son in the NBA just for the nostalgia if nothing else. The NBA does well with unique and memorable players. I miss Yao Ming and Arvydas Sabonis and guys like that.
absolutely concur!

Zeratul

Post by Zeratul »

SDC wrote:why did he resign over that?
Because forced sterilization is a terrible idea?

pickle

Post by pickle »

btw, regarding the ferry situation, am i the only one who thinks that the "African" comment is a reference to nigerian scammers? not that i condone such comments, or, as many have pointed out, even understand it at all.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Zeratul wrote:
SDC wrote:why did he resign over that?
Because forced sterilization is a terrible idea?
nobody's forcing anything, if i read this correctly.

SDC

Post by SDC »

pickle wrote:btw, regarding the ferry situation, am i the only one who thinks that the "African" comment is a reference to nigerian scammers? not that i condone such comments, or, as many have pointed out, even understand it at all.
you are the only one who thinks like this. it would be just easier if ferry called it "nigerian email scammers" if that's what he really meant.

Indy

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:I think Kareen's take was solid on Levenson, who was giving an unvarnished marketing assessment.

As for Danny Ferry, he's stereotyping inthe worst way, painting residents of an entire, huge continent with simple-minded, broad brush strokes. He should know better.
I'm way late to the thread here, but this is spot on.

Sent using Tapatalk