Game Day: Suns (12-17) @ Jazz (11-14), Mon 12/21/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (12-17) @ Jazz (11-14), Mon 12/21/15

Post by Superbone »

Good to see you, Swing. Good to know you're suffering with the rest of us. ;)

I just keep thinking of the team two years ago that used to outwork other teams to the tune of a strong record. What happened?!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
“I just work here, man,” Tucker said. “Just doing whatever I’m told. It’s not a regular thing but if they feel like changing me is going to help us win, then I’m all for it. I have to adjust and figure out another way like I always do. I don’t know what we’re trying to do, period. Whatever they want me to do as a Phoenix Sun, I’ll do. I don’t know anything right now. I’m just going out there and playing as hard as I can.”
I found the bold part interesting. Is the coaching staff not communicating to the players? Is there confusion on roles, responsibilities?
Just go away, PJ.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

ShelC wrote:
“I just work here, man,” Tucker said. “Just doing whatever I’m told. It’s not a regular thing but if they feel like changing me is going to help us win, then I’m all for it. I have to adjust and figure out another way like I always do. I don’t know what we’re trying to do, period. Whatever they want me to do as a Phoenix Sun, I’ll do. I don’t know anything right now. I’m just going out there and playing as hard as I can.”
I found the bold part interesting. Is the coaching staff not communicating to the players? Is there confusion on roles, responsibilities?
He just lost his starting job to TJ and he is begging.

Its pathetic ex language.

"I don't care where you go, or what you do, I will always be there for you. What is it that you really want from me anyway? Whatever it is, I will do it. I just can't live without you. There is no one out there who will love you and work for you like I will. I luuuuuuuuuuuuuv you! "

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

But it is odd to me that the coaches wouldn't discuss the lineup change with the team during any pre-game meeting or pull Tucker aside at some point and say, "Hey we're going in a different direction tonight....need to figure out these slow starts to games but still value your defense and hustle off the bench...etc, etc, etc". Hornacek doesn't seem like a hardass where he'd just write the starting lineup on the chalkboard, going over a few key things for the game and walk out and not acknowledge the change.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe part of it is that during the middle of the season, they don't get much down time to practice or talk to the guys. They kind of just travel and then go play the next game.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It was a back to back. Maybe he just wanted to start some fresher young guys and see what Booker and Warren could do starting. The experiment failed. The Jazz scored at will and our offense was stymied. The game was over in the first 3 minutes. Booker isn't a surprise to teams anymore and now can't hit anything. What didn't Booker play more? He started and layed an egg. Give the minutes to who is having a good game? And that would have been who? The whole team had a bad day even for their standards.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

That was a really frustrating game to watch in person! Just a few things I noticed:

From the start, Bledsoe did not look engaged. He was losing his man on defense every time down the floor in the first 5 minutes of the 1st quarter. I told my wife that Bledsoe was playing so bad that Coach had to pull Booker out of the game! I thought Booker started off the game okay; he wasn't forcing anything and his defense was good. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either. I thought he shouldn't have been given such a quick hook.

Knight and Bledsoe just could not throw a decent pass last night. There was no zip on any passes, no sense of urgency. I just thought most of the passes were lazy. Bledsoe had one nice little bounce pass to Len, but unfortunately, Len wasn't looking for it.

I thought Len and Warren both played pretty well last night; they both should have seen more time. Even Goodwin looked okay in limited minutes, would have liked to have seen him out there more considering what a rough night Bledsoe and Knight were having.

I noticed, what I thought, were Chandler and Len both getting good position offensively or finding an open spot where the guards had a play, but the pass was either late, bad, or never came. I'd watch a play develop to the point where I thought we had a Len/Chandler dunk, but it was usually a turnover.

I love the rare chances I get to see my Suns live, it was just a bummer that there wasn't a better effort last night.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Good insight. Sorry you have to view such a turd. The Jazz announcers commented on how soon the Suns came back out after halftime eluding to Hornacek not having much to say. The Jazz announcers were also full of shit all night so I am not sure what is real. Any observations on that?
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

djy2j wrote:Good insight. Sorry you have to view such a turd. The Jazz announcers commented on how soon the Suns came back out after halftime eluding to Hornacek not having much to say. The Jazz announcers were also full of shit all night so I am not sure what is real. Any observations on that?
Honestly, I didn't think the Jazz looked all that great. They were definitely beatable. But we made Booker and Neto look like all stars out there last night. We got turned around on defense so many times that they just had wide open jumpers all night. On the rare occasion that we actually made them run an offensive set, we more than held our own.

My wife noticed how quick the Suns came back from halftime too. Not really sure what that was about.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

wpmiller42 wrote:
djy2j wrote:Good insight. Sorry you have to view such a turd. The Jazz announcers commented on how soon the Suns came back out after halftime eluding to Hornacek not having much to say. The Jazz announcers were also full of shit all night so I am not sure what is real. Any observations on that?
Honestly, I didn't think the Jazz looked all that great. They were definitely beatable. But we made Booker and Neto look like all stars out there last night. We got turned around on defense so many times that they just had wide open jumpers all night. On the rare occasion that we actually made them run an offensive set, we more than held our own.

My wife noticed how quick the Suns came back from halftime too. Not really sure what that was about.
In the coaches defense, what are you going to say to them? "Hey guys, you get paid millions of dollars to play a game. At least try or I am going to get fired and then you all will get traded and have to relocate your families. Sound good? 1-2-3 SUNS!"
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:Price fouls hood on a fadeaway J with time winding down. He is NOT a good defender: he is just overly aggressive.
That is true, but he does try hard on defense and how many guys on this team do that?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That was the Suns most pathetic performance of the year. Lackluster with no energy. Inexcusable.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Superbone wrote:That was the Suns most pathetic performance of the year. Lackluster with no energy. Inexcusable.
That's because you're not watching the game tonight! LOL

Indy

Post by Indy »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Superbone wrote:That was the Suns most pathetic performance of the year. Lackluster with no energy. Inexcusable.
That's because you're not watching the game tonight! LOL
Ha!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The great thing about this team is that it is looking bottomless.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Ring_Wanted wrote:The great thing about this team is that it is looking bottomless.
Oh crap. I think you just gave us all a disturbing mental picture.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695